“great fish fry”

Pike Lake House
Ranked #6 of 44 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: American, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: With two dining areas, the Lake Room upstairs and pub room downstairs with a bar, we offer fine dining as well as casual. Our famous Fish Fry daily. Large wine and beer selections. Also available for special occasions.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

we went to pike lake house on a last minute whim. We have been there before, so we did know how to find it. We went on a Friday about 530pm. It wasn't busy at all yet. So I was surprised when we pulled it the parking lot and they has a parking attendant. We went into the upper level. The hostess asked if we had reservations, we said no, and then he said we could go downstairs and eat in the bar. I really didn't understand, because there was only one table seated upstairs, but the bar was full of people eating. there were no tables left so we ate at the bar. It was very loud and not comfortable. We both had the cod fish fry. The service was very friendly. It took awhile for the food to come out. But it was worth the wait. the fish was excellent. And the potato pancakes were the best I've ever had. Coleslaw was a little bland. But I didn't really have room to eat that too. Prices were a little more than we are use to paying for a casual meal at the bar, But next time I will make RESERVATIONS so we can eat in the upper level. (when we left there still was no one in the main dining area, and the bar had 3 different groups of people who came in looking for a place to eat and walked out) I don't know what there policy is, but it seems like poor management to loose customers because there is no where for them to sit, and the whole upper level is empty. In the restaurant business you learn to turn tables faster so you can accommodate more customers. If you turn away walk ins you will loose A LOT of business. I will definitely go back, because it is the best food I've had in Hartford, and the surrounding area for that matter.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

It is tough to succeed in the restaurant business. First year failure rates range from 25 to 60% depending on the market. Opening a small place off the beaten path seems risky but I certainly hope to have more opportunities to enjoy Pike Lake House (PLH) in Hartford.
First, you must find it! From Highway 60 on the far eastern side of Hartford turn on Teri Lane. After a very short distance you will find Lake Dr. which winds and turns a bit. There is at least one sign for PLH along the way to give you hope. Eventually you will see it on the right-hand side, with a very steep driveway leading to the parking.
We went to try the fish fry, Wisconsin's perennial Friday favorite. Judged by the crispy perch, sweet flaky cod, and potato pancakes studded with green onion we definitely want to go back to try some other dinner options. I don't like green peppers and was unhappy to see it in the coleslaw. I had a berry and walnut salad instead which was delicious with soft, fresh feta. My husband's clam chowder was also tasty but the potatoes should have been chopped a bit smaller to suit the small cup. The breads (not baked on site) were excellent especially the fruited nut one and the butter was properly softened (one of my pet peeves).
Dessert was a big disappointment. My strudel seemed to have an excessive amount of powdered sugar on it. One bite offered the explanation. While not exactly burned it was extremely brown and tough, overpowering the taste of the fruit filling. My husband's peach cobbler had the opposite problem. Baked in a small, deep cup it was a bit undercooked. The enormous ball of ice cream jammed on top, completely hiding the cobbler, didn't improve it any. That dessert could have been saved by baking it in a more shallow oval dish and using half the ice cream. It made us wonder if Chef Jeff has assigned baking to an assistant who needs more supervision.
So in the spirit of encouraging new business I give four stars instead of three but if the details to not improve by our next visit I will have to take one back.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

It was one bad thing after another. First they got my husbands drink wrong and the guy at the bar was not happy about that. Our chicken wings were not done, we sent the remaining ones back and they finished cooking them, did not get a new order of wings and they still charged us full price, and they forgot the dip for the French dip sandwich. The worse part is that the cook or owner would not even look at us like we did something wrong. We should have left when we got the raw wings. Will Never Go Back!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

There are not many if any other restaurants where you can enjoy perfectly prepared Australian spring lamb chops for $18. Or Copper River salmon! My cream of asparagus soup was so deliciously creamy, I almost called my cardiologist for an appointment. Too bad we didn't have room for dessert. This casual but high-quality restaurant with new owner Chef Jeff Slough is a little hard to find, but once you find it, you'll be back.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Don't confuse this wonderful fine dining establishment in HARTFORD (www.pikelakehouse.com) with the other one with a similar name (in Hatley WI with mistaken reviews listed here), because you'll cheat yourself out of a fabulous dining experience. New owner, Chef Jeff, has brought his over 30 years experience as an executive chef to this quaint and comfy restaurant in a lake community. The restaurant offers a fine dining experience (at very reasonable prices) on the upper Lake Level and a pub (burgers and lighter fare) and bar on the lower level.

Four of us dined upstairs on a Saturday night. We ordered three of the chef's special salad of the day, beets with arugula and goat cheese, and one fresh berry walnut salad. The beet salad was fresh and flavorful. A must whenever beets are in season. Our main courses were the daily special of perfectly done scallops on a bed of angle hair pasta, walleye, cornbread stuffed pork chop in a flavorful Madeira wine sauce, and the chicken piccata with tomato, garlic, ham and peppers, plus fresh bread. Each was done to perfection. We also shared two homemade (by the chef) desserts: chocolate cherry bread pudding and carrot cake.

Chef Jeff takes the time to greet and thank his guests when not in the kitchen personally preparing each dinner. He's meticulous about his ingredients and the menu can vary with what's in season. With a very good wine selection or a cocktail from the bar, this is a spot that is worth finding. We will definitely be back (maybe for the generous Sunday brunch).

Been to Pike Lake House? Share your experiences!