“Nice view, good service, good food”
Review of Grey Rock

Grey Rock
Ranked #6 of 20 Restaurants in Green Lake
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Grey Rock serves up a playful attitude with a timeless menu. Smooth, toe-tapping tunes and even smoother cocktails make for an urban flair feel in a relaxed, lakefront setting. Fine dining in Green Lake starts right here, lakeside to Big Green. Grey Rock builds on its traditional high standards of dining excellence with reborn classic dishes promising a delightful balance of the finest ingredients - all freshly prepared by the resort's award-winning chefs. Grey Rock has received the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence every year since 2002. With friendly, efficient service and lakeview floor-to-ceiling windows, Grey Rock ranks as the area's favorite every-occasion restaurant. Make it your favorite, too. Planning a romantic evening on the lake? You can dock on our pier and make date night fantastic with a lake view dinner right here at Grey Rock.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Nice view, good service, good food”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Start with a cocktail at the 'swanky' bar with a fifties feel - ask the bartender for a martini recommendation - she is very good!

Meal overall was good. Enjoyed skate - which we rarely see on the menu. Only the polenta was a little salty.

Service was good, but we were in off season and there were not many people there.

Visited September 2013
HeidelHouseGM, Manager at Grey Rock, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Grey Rock. I am pleased you enjoyed both the lounge and dining room, and have shared your comments with the chef and staff. We appreciate your comments and hope you choose to visit again in the future.

Green Bay, WI
“Pesto sauce is not brown and creamy!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I ordered the cheese ravioli with artichoke and walnut pesto sauce. I was served a heavy brown mushroom sauce. It was awful, as I HATE mushrooms and it was one of the only items on the menu that did not list them as an ingredient.

Visited September 2013
Dickinson, North Dakota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really? #1”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I was there for dinner on July 4th, 7:30 reservation, party of 2. We were greeted and seated promptly.It went downhill from there, fast. The bottle of wine we wanted wasn't available. Appetizers were ordered, they were good, nothing special. Dinner was ordered, I was having a Ribeye, I was very specific about it because I raise grass_fed beef for private sale and rarely eat beef in a restaurant because it is never up to par. What came was an undercooked T-bone. Seriously? The baked potato was from yesterday, reheated. I sent it all back, waited for my guest to eat and left, never to return.

• Visited July 2013
Medinah, Illinois
“Nice view, food left a lot to be desired.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had an awesome server...after waiting 15 minutes to be acknowleged. She was very kind and apologized. The service was great from that point forward. She really turned the experience around and we praised her for a job well done.

The calamari was fair, the mushroom soup delicious, but we felt our entrees were overpriced and lacked quality. I had the surf and turf which was very dissapointing. It was presented with pieces of lobster (not even a small tail) on top of a tiny filet that had a very strong taste. For $34, I was not pleased. My husband had the walleye which was very over done and dry. T

This was our least favorite meal of our vacation, and the most expensive. The view is nice. The restaurant has a very musty, fishy smell that hits you when you walk in the door. They really need to renovate and improve quality.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Christine L
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“New menu? New chef? Only a few diners, on a weekend?”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The bartender at Grey Rock is wonderful. Great drinks, superb service, and she is always a joy to us every year we visit. We sat upstairs until our reservation time for dinner. We ordered appetizers, which one was a Nigiri Sushi. It was delicious. We also shared the crepes which had mushrooms in them, very, very good. Of course we were excited for dinner downstairs, which we have enjoyed several times before.
Not so. The server was good, and really knew the menu items and described them with ease. However, the porterhouse my husband had was.... "meh...." Tough, overdone, and tasted old. His potato was dried out, just not really acceptable to us when we have eaten there before and we know our expectations! I ordered the filet surf n turf, which was a small 7 oz filet. I ordered medium, it was WELL done, and the lobster on top appeared to be 7 small crayfish meats. They were extremely fishy. But seriously, not as fishy tasting as the side of scallops! Yuck, I couldn't finish them, and there were only TWO. Full of sand, rubbery, and fishy smelling. My mashed potatoes were dried out and bland.
The chef's sweet tooth dessert was wonderful, and the service was good. A custard style key lime tart. Good.
Needless to say, we should have noticed the lack of a crowd in the dining room. (normally, a year ago the place was always PACKED!)
Sadly we will not be revisiting. There are other options in Green Lake that are doing a better job with the food!
*note* The men walking around who have the appearance of secret service men, complete with black suits and ear buds, and hidden receiver..... Creepy and distracting. Not necessary in such a small resort property.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mommyovfour
HeidelHouseGM, Manager at Grey Rock, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your dining experience at Grey Rock. Your description of the wonderful service and delicious starters in the lounge is exactly what we strive for. Unfortunately, we failed to deliver the same quality in the dining room. I sincerely apologize for the disappointment with your meal and have shared your comments with our staff. Again I apologize and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.