“Could not have been better”

Heidel House Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Green Lake
Reviewed August 11, 2013

First off, it was summer in Wisconsin, and we had perfect weather. The grounds are lovely. We almost forgot we were in the upper Midwest. We booked a standard room, which we knew upfront would not have a lake view or a balcony. However, it did have large windows that let in the natural light. Luckily, with the weather we had, we were hardly in the room. However, and I want to make this very clear. If we had been stuck in the room due to heavy rain or any other reason, it would have been just fine. Really. The room was SPOTLESS and well-maintained. The furnishings are not the latest style, but they are well-made items without a scratch on them. The bed linens were luxurious. The towels were okay quality, but certainly clean and white. The carpet was clean, intact and thoroughly vacuumed. The bathroom was VERY clean and in working order. I would've liked a minifridge and a DVD player, but I understand that a standard room is just that. The staff throughout the resort was very friendly and accommodating. Service was always with a smile. If you have decent weather, do book the cruise around the lake. It was wonderful and interesting. The towels at the pool were plentiful. I didn't get to Evensong Spa as that was a Plan B if the weather had not cooperated. The Boathouse restaurant was perfect for a quick meal, and the beer is always ice cold. My 9-year-old had a ball and wants to go back next summer. Both the indoor and outdoor pools were attractive and well-maintained. There are a lot of quiet, semi-private places throughout the resort to sit and/or picnic.

Room Tip: If you get a standard room in the white building and you want to sleep in, close the drapes at night...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Shod47

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Heidel House is in a perfect, serene location. We have been visiting for a few years, some things have changed, and some need to be changed. The lady at the front desk was cold and unfriendly. She rarely made eye contact with us, studying her computer intently. I asked her about golfing in the area, of the three, which she would recommend. To our surprise, she couldn't give us an answer, saying rudely, "I have no idea, I am not a golfer." Hello. If you work at a resort that attracts clientele who golf, would you not have a SINGLE recommendation, perhaps from other visitors, for ONE course? She told us we were free to look at the brochure display across the room. There was one brochure. Not much help. That was not the only disappointment.
We visited the gift shop after checking in at the desk. A minute into my browsing, the older woman working rudely asks me if I need help finding something. (I am clearly minding my own business, enjoying my time with my husband, browsing.) I tell her, no, I am just looking. She says to me in an irritated voice, "well... I am closing now and you can come back tomorrow."
We did not go back.
The rooms are very nice, they do need some updated furnishings, carpet, and bathtub tiles need replacing and fresh caulk. The bed was comfortable with fluffy pillows. However, the outside windows, chairs on the deck, and walls need washing. The railings are peeling with rust showing underneath, the awnings are filthy. Who wants to be covered in bug skeletons and spiders? A daily washing with a bucket of soapy water would greatly improve!
The grounds need work. The staff could use some briefing meetings on customer service. This resort could still be the gem it once was.

Room Tip: The lakeside rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mommyovfour
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Just stayed at the hotel for a business meeting and found the location to be beautiful. The convention facilities are adequate and the lobby and other facilities are very nice. The hotel rooms need lots of work. The carpet, furniture and wallpaper are all quite outdated. If they put some money into the rooms the place would be great.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I purchased a Groupon for the Heidel House and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I had read the reviews online and they seemed to be pretty hit or miss...some folks loved their stay while others hated it...there was no middle of the road reviews. I have to say that I really liked the accomodations and I would gladly stay there again! The room was extremely clean and well-maintained and the walk out from our room to the lake was great.

The only thing that I found to be a bit cumbersome was the actual entrance into our room. In order to get to our room, we had to drive to another part of the property, enter into a smaller building and then either hike all the way down to an elevator or drag our luggage down a stairwell to get to our room. There were also no working automatic doors, which would have been extremely helpful while bringing in our luggage.

But, all in all, the hotel was well-maintained, the staff was friendly and I would feel comfortable in staying at the Heidel House again.

Room Tip: If you choose a basement room, you will get a walk out to the lake instead of a balcony. There are...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I got stuck in the old addition to the main building facing the parking lot. I was there for a meeting and the resort was completely full. It was clean but in poor repair. The shower didn't work well and the tile was sunken in around the faucets. There was one lightbulb in the room with the toilet and shower. It was burned out when I got there but promptly replaced. The door to the tub room was cracked and water damaged. The screens in the windows were ripped. They highly need to renovate these rooms.

The Internet was down for hours when I first got there. When I called the front desk they were of little help. They gave my an 800 number to call customer service for their ISP to fix it myself. Who does that??? It was not MY devices that were the problem (I had 4 different devices and none worked), it was the server. The
ISP rep fixed it for the resort.

The cell phone service on AT&T is horrific with zero reliable data, So you need the Internet to try and stay connected.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The grounds are beautiful, the Grey Rock restaurant was absolutely delicious! Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The rooms were comfortable but could use some updating. The windows opened which was great, and the bed was prefect! The bathroom fan was old and very loud but I didn't really need it much. The rooms were quiet and clean and the access to activities on the lake were plentiful and affordable. I loved my stay and look forward to bringing my family next time!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tracy M
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have been to Green Lake a few times before, and I am pleased to say, this was the best trip yet! We flew into Milwaukee Aiport on Wednesday evening (July 3rd) and then stayed with family the evening before. We hitched up the boat first thing Thursday (July 4th) morning early and drove up to Green Lake. We stayed just for the evening of July 4th, but maximized our time there by just wearing our "fun" clothes (swimsuits, etc.) on the way there and the way back. We had a double queen room in the Lodge portion of the resort, and the room was fantastic! Definitely better than the last time we stayed a few years ago. Here's my breakdown of Pro's/Con's & Tips like I do in most reviews, in order to help out any fellow travelers.

Pro's
- Public Lake Access is provided on the Northeast corner of Green Lake, perfect for launching the boat on the way to the resort. We normally launch there, and then take the trailor over to Heidel House to park it. My Father-in-law coordinates the boat portion of our trip, so the Heidel House may charge you to dock at the resort, but I can't imagine it's a terribly large amount. We tied the boat up nightly right there at the docks at the resort until we were ready to leave.
- Pool was fantastic, and lots of drink/food options were provided throughout the day so we didn't have to schlep all types of snacks, etc. However, my Mother-in-law usually does, so that was nice. The water was heated, and there is a "kiddie" pool for the little ones that is only a foot deep. The pool team did a great job of keeping fresh towels available!
- Rooms were spacious, and the bedding was amazing! We slept like logs after a long day on the water. Towels were fluffy and large, and there were plenty of pillows on the bed (I am a complete pillow hog!) Nice white duvet covers with high thread count sheets. No itchy beds after a sunburn. NICE! Upgraded bathroom amenities by Gilchrist & Soames, one of my favorite brands.
- The pump house ice cream shop was manned by a LOVELY lady that was kind enough to open the door for us, even when we came a few minutes after her closing time. This absolutely MADE our night for us! We had the perfect scoop of ice cream after watching fireworks.
- Speaking of Fireworks, we had TWO displays to watch over the lake this year. The town of Green Lake puts on theirs, (couldn't see if really well from the Heidel House docks) but on the Northeast side of the lake, there is a doctor who puts on an amazing display that put the others to shame!
- Breakfast Buffet in the Sunroom on Friday morning was fantastic as usual! This is one of our families favorite traditions!

Con's
- The foilage by the Eastern most shore line needs to be trimmed back by the Heidel House Maintenance team. We couldn't see the fireworks this year on that side.
- The docks need repair seriously. There were quite a few loose boards, and the bumpers were not adequate enough in order to not damage our boat. We had two, but had to improvise and use a life vest for another one, since the ones that were on the dock were so torn up.
- We had booked two rooms and they couldn't even give us ONE of them to have a late check out. So we had to change in the pool bathrooms. Also it took us a while to get into our rooms for check in.
- WiFI never worked for us, which isn't really a big deal since we were on vacation, but my little one was bummed she couldn't play some of her games during our down time.
- Cell phone service is HORRIBLE. Stand on one leg, by the window, and you MIGHT be able to make a phone call.
- 1979 called and wants their bathroom wallpaper and shower back! The hairdryer SUCKED, and there was mold in the shower corner near the ceiling. However, everything was VERY clean! And that's all that really matters, right?!

Tips -
- Grab a table/chairs by the pool early, they fill up fast, and there isn't much furniture to go around.
- Pack LIGHT! You literally live in your bathing suit and coverup except for dinner. It's just a hassle to drag around that much luggage anyways.
- NO GLASS AT THE POOL - the wardens had to come over and tell us to put ours away, I completely forgot about that in regards to our cooler contents. They were kind enough to bring us some plastic cups.
- Order the Nachos from the BoatHouse Grill on the lower level, they were a fantastic snack one afternoon!

Room Tip: If you can snag a poolside room on the first floor, it's worth the extra price. The resort is r...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Welcome Inn
Welcome Inn
#3 of 3 in Ripon
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Fond du Lac, WI

Been to Heidel House Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!