“Lovely location. Average accommodations.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Heidel House Resort & Spa

Heidel House Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Green Lake
Chicago, Illinois
“Lovely location. Average accommodations.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Heidel House has the perfect location right on the shores of Green Lake. The lobby is nice with a large picture window facing the lake. The rooms are fine. They are spacious and clean. They just feel a bit tired and dated and are in need of repair -- cracked bathroom tiles, for example.

We took a cruise on the uotel's yacht and it was really nice.

My biggest complaint was with the abundance of smoking. I honestly haven't seen so many people smoking anywhere else in many, many years. The rooms are non-smoking but the halls reek of smoke anyway. We left the pool area because of the people smoking. It was just gross. The hotel should really make the pool and other public outdoor spaces non-smoking. They also should better enforce the non-smoking inside the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HeidelHouseGM, General Manager at Heidel House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am pleased you found our setting on Green Lake to be perfect, and that you enjoyed your cruise on the Escapade yacht. We strive to ensure guests have a memorable experience and enjoy all the lake has to offer.

Your feedback is very important. I would like to assure you that smoking is not permitted in our outdoor public spaces including the pool and dining areas, and our staff makes every effort to enforce this policy. I apologize that this issue lessened your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

We recently spent a weekend at the Heidel House with another couple. The resort is a comfortable, charming spot on lovely Green Lake, WI. We enjoyed the fact the resort is spread out over a few buildings and we spent time wandering around, getting the "lay of the land".
Don't miss Friday's "Beer Cruise" around the lake on the Escapade yacht. We sampled beers from the area, while enjoying the views and listening to Captain Dennis' narrative.
Service and food in the restaurants were very good. The Grey Rock will hold its own with any fine restaurant.
We golfed across the road at Tuscumbia and found the course to be beautifully maintained. It was challenging for all of us at our varying rates of play.
The Spa at Evensong was all that we expected from a good spa.
All in all, we couldn't have asked for a more pleasant experience.
We can't wait to come back again!

Room Tip: Absolutely, positively get a lake front room. We sat on our balcony one morning watching sailboat r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lola M
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I am never disappointed at the Heidel House. But I love the lake. Don't expect luxury. But it is very comfortable. So much easier than packing for a cottage visit or camping. Indoor hottubs and pool and outdoor pool. Lakefront water activities (can ride Escapade yacht or rent boats, jetskis). Restaurants and bar onsite or 1 mile walk. If it is a rainy day, go visit the Amish of Columbia county within 30 miles (Barry Road near Dalton, Wi). Golfers will like Lawsonia or Tuscumbia.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NancyIreland09
McFarland, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

As long as you are staying here you might as well get a balcony so you can sit out and enjoy the lake view. We had a standard room which was nice but had a disappointing roof and gutter view. We've stayed here before and I should know better. The staff are friendly and helpful. We did the golf package and played Lawsonia which is about 10 minutes away. The Boathouse Bar/restaurant is ok for bar food but plan a meal at Grey Rock if you want upscale, a special fine dining experience. Great getaway place but expect to pay resort level room rates.

Room Tip: Get a balcony that has a lake view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike W
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I had a very nice weekend visit. Stayed on the property from Friday late afternoon to Sunday late morning. Enjoyed the meals at Grey Rock in the evenings and the breakfast buffets on Sat. and Sun. Staff were very nice and courteous. The chef at Grey Rock made the table rounds Fri. night and I enjoyed his explanation of various menu items especially the chef's special fish and the chef's special dessert - both of which I ordered two nights in a row because they were so tasty. My room had an excellent view of the lake from all the windows - #305.

Room Tip: I stayed in a lakeview one bedroom suite in building next to main lodge. For me, it was well worth t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

After hearing about and seeing ads for the Heidel House for many, many years, I had the opportunity to stay here for a business trip. I was very excited to finally visit this resort. It only took bout 15 minutes to realize that reality did not match the brand they had portrayed in their marketing over the years.

As I arrived at night, I couldn't really see what the grounds looked like. I found my way to reception, and the service was very prompt. When I was handed my big metal room key, I knew things were going to be outdated. If a hotel has yet to upgrade this basic function, what else have they failed to upgrade?

I was put in the building adjacent to the main building - fifth floor. I realize not every room can have the best view, but when you've come to one of Wiconsin's largest lakes, you want to feel like you're at a resort on the lake! These rooms are small, dark, and stuffy. Boo. I immediately felt the need to get outside and walk along the lake so I could get out of my dark and depressing room.

Room pros: windows open! I can somewhat see the lake from my room. For a resort, I would expect a fridge in the room, but this is not included with the standard rooms. The bed are very comfy.

Room cons: lots of malfunctioning (toilet didn't flush, deadbolt on entry door didn't work), bathroom fan that must be from the 60s, and not at all equipped for business travelers; outlets not easily accessible, no desk....

The grounds are nice, with lot of pier, a walking path, small beach area, but as someone else stated, not kept up very well. The outdoor pool had a lot of debris in it - and Memorial Day weekend is coming, so I would have expected more.

The conference facilities were good, and lunch was decent. I did not eat at any of the onsite restaurants; the bar lacked atmosphere, but had a great view of the water and nice outdoor spaces.

You could walk or bike into the small town by cutting through the Evensong Spa road.

Staff are very friendly; they deserve to represent a better establishment. I hope the owners are paying attention and invest in giving the resort a much needed facelift.

Room Tip: pay to upgrade to a lakeside room, otherwise, what's the point?
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ms_Miltown
Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had a great stay at the Heidel house and loved everything except for the massage at the spa was not near what I would expect for the price. Food was very good. Room was clean. Service otherwise excellent especially the bartender. The new chef even stopped by to visit after we dined at Grey Rock.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
La Quinta Inn Oshkosh
La Quinta Inn Oshkosh
#3 of 11 in Oshkosh
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Oshkosh

Been to Heidel House Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!