“Nice restaurant on Main Street”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Big Tomatoes - CLOSED

Big Tomatoes
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
GREEN BAY
“Nice restaurant on Main Street”
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Nice atmosphere situated in a well cared for old hardware store. Well presented and good tasting food. Particularly enjoyed the hangar steak. Attentive and knowledgable waiter (Andrew). Prices almost all under $20, many under $16.

1 Thank dsj5777

De Pere, Wisconsin
“Fantastic food! Great ambience!”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Four friends shared an evening together. I had the Spinach Ravioli:Florentine spinach and cheese ravioli in herb butter sauce ($13.95). Superb! My husband dined on Beef Fettuccine: beef tips, mushrooms and onions in a Marsala cream ($14.95) Hearty and well-proportioned! Both were nicely plated. The current chef-in-training is excellent. For an extra $1.99 you can add a house salad with lemon garlic dressing. Assorted breads come with all entrees.

Head chef Larry London stopped by the table to chat during the meal and asked about the meal to which we all replied, "Excellent!"

The red wine selection was also above average.

We have eaten here many times through the years and this upscale restaurant has never failed us. My husband and I have also visited Italy and the Mediterranean countries multiple times, and while not as good as authentic Italian cuisine, this restaurant is the next best substitute in the Green Bay area.

The decor features original brick walls of the former Truttman Hardware Store, replete with some of the wooden storage boxes that housed bolts, nails and screws from a bygone era that we remember well. Such a delight that the current owner has retained the interior flavor of historic Green Bay. Altogether, a job well done.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank CJW913
“Not What I Expected”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I went to this place before a play and had 10 people in the party. We had looked at the menu on line and the prices were not the same, the prices were about $2 higher. We were expecting a nice portion of food but was disappointed with the amount of monk fish that was served. It was very tasty but had gotten more potatoes than fish. The other dish we had was a gourmet mac and cheese with a little bit of chicken added. One thing that was very good was the Old Fashion that was one of the best I have had in a long time.

• Visited February 2014
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I live in the area and have been hearing about this place for a long time. My wife ate here twice before and liked it so we picked this place for our wedding anniversary dinner. She ordered the scallops which she had in the past and commented on how much smaller they were this time...also VERY salty. I had the seafood with Angel hair pasta....nothing special...really nothing you could not order at any chain restaurant....Used Frozen Shrimp...not much taste. Had some leftovers boxed up and was told there would be an extra charge for taking home any of the extra bread that was on the table. I asked how much and she just took it away without saying anything. There was only One other couple in the place. My guess is they are cutting back costs due to the lack of customers. I will not bother coming back. Will go back to Chives for our next special occation.

• Visited January 2014
“Really Nice Atmosphere”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My wife and I had a nice dinner here for New Year's Eve. The service was efficient and friendly and the atmosphere is very relaxed. The food was very good but not exceptional. I found the wine list to be very disappointing. It was limited in size and lacking in quality. We had not been to Big Tomatoes in quite some time and were hoping for more. It's a nice restaurant for a change of pace but lacks that something extra for it to be a regular visit.

• Visited December 2013