“Cozy, cute, and serving up delicious food”
Review of Big Tomatoes - CLOSED

Big Tomatoes
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Wisconsin
“Cozy, cute, and serving up delicious food”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband and I ended up here on a whim for our 1st anniversary dinner. We were told it was "casual" and arrived in Brewer/Packer gear, walked into the doors that lead directly into the dining room, and felt really out of place! Everyone was pretty dressed up, and the atmosphere is small and quiet. We snuggled into our table (you sit very close to others) and had a great server who made us feel more relaxed. We really enjoyed the appetizers, and have to say they were better than the main dishes. Overall, I'd recommend this place to anyone in town!

1 Thank traveljones25

Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Glad We Tried It”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had no idea where we were headed when we left the house. We have been throwing the idea out there for a while and finally decided to try it. We had no idea when we walked in at 4:30 that they are not open for business until 5! Luckily, they seated us and we were able to take in the decor, which is done quite nicely.

It did take a while to begin to get food, which is understandable since the kitchen wasn't expecting orders for at least half an hour. The bruschetta was a fantastic appetizer, featuring an olive pate. The bread basket was delicious, with three types of bread complimented by a sun-dried tomato butter. This alone was worth the wait.

I decided to have the sirloin, which was done perfectly and in a tangy sauce that really made it more than just a steak. Andrew had the spaghetinni and also really enjoyed it. We did end up with leftovers, not because the portions were massive, but because we wanted to revisit the experience one more time.

Next time we bring friends!

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank bjudd
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Disappointed and underwhelmed”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Should have known there was an issue when we walked in and the place was virtually empty. Food was fair but the service was horrendous! The server seemed to not have a clue what she should be doing and messed up our and the table next to our orders. It is sad as this used to be a really good place to eat.

• Visited November 2012
Green Bay, WI
“Servers Make a Difference”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I decided to give this place a try, since we heard so many wonderful things about it and it was full so that is another good sign. Once we were seated our server did not tell us specials, knew almost nothing about the menu or what was in any of the foods. I would have expected them to not know the bar menu, although I found that to really diminish the experience and a server running to the kitchen to answer a simple question is not acceptable. Also I was told I could replace an item because of food allergies and after a about ten minutes that offer was changed with some unappealing and unrelated sides. The main dished my wife and I ordered were alright, but the seasoning was minimal and bland. I do not expect to return to this place for at least a year, in that time I would sure how they would give the servers a crash course since a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. But I must say the atmosphere was really pleasing.

1 Thank C R
Rc S, Owner at Big Tomatoes, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thanks for the honest review. I apologize for your bad experience. You are correct and should have recieved better food and service. We pride ourselves on providing great food and service in a very nice casual atmoshphere. While we have had some issues with service in the past we have corrected them. We are always very accomodating to all special dietary concerns and if there is ever any question as to what we can or cant do, just ask for the Chef! We are very willing to do whatever we can as long as we have the product in house to do it. I certainly hope that you will give us another chance again soon to show you what Big Tomatoes is all about! Thanks
Green Bay, Wi
“Unexpected gem!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We recently visited Big Tomatoes Restaurant for the first time and were pleasantly suprised. The wine list was adequate with very reasonable pricing and the food was wonderful. I had scallops over angel hair pasta with asparagus. The scallops were perfectly done, pan seared and slightly crispy on the outside but moist and juicy on the inside. My husband had oso bucco with a creamy risotto which was also perfectly done. My only complaint were the house salads with lemon garlic dressing. The greens were adequate but there was neither a lemon or garlic flavor in the dressing. Pay the up charge and get a real salad. A fresh bread basket comes with your dinners that included home-made corn muffins that were outstanding and fresh baked bread with balsamic and olive oil dipping. We shared a bottle of reasonably priced old vine zin that was quite nice. We were on our way to another engagement so didn't have time to partake in an appetizer or dessert but looked forward to the next time we visit.

1 Thank wpsands