“Disappointed and underwhelmed”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Should have known there was an issue when we walked in and the place was virtually empty. Food was fair but the service was horrendous! The server seemed to not have a clue what she should be doing and messed up our and the table next to our orders. It is sad as this used to be a really good place to eat.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I decided to give this place a try, since we heard so many wonderful things about it and it was full so that is another good sign. Once we were seated our server did not tell us specials, knew almost nothing about the menu or what was in any of the foods. I would have expected them to not know the bar menu, although I found that to really diminish the experience and a server running to the kitchen to answer a simple question is not acceptable. Also I was told I could replace an item because of food allergies and after a about ten minutes that offer was changed with some unappealing and unrelated sides. The main dished my wife and I ordered were alright, but the seasoning was minimal and bland. I do not expect to return to this place for at least a year, in that time I would sure how they would give the servers a crash course since a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. But I must say the atmosphere was really pleasing.

1  Thank C R
Rc S, Owner at Big Tomatoes, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thanks for the honest review. I apologize for your bad experience. You are correct and should have recieved better food and service. We pride ourselves on providing great food and service in a very nice casual atmoshphere. While we have had some issues with service in the past we have corrected them. We are always very accomodating to all special dietary concerns and if there is ever any question as to what we can or cant do, just ask for the Chef! We are very willing to do whatever we can as long as we have the product in house to do it. I certainly hope that you will give us another chance again soon to show you what Big Tomatoes is all about! Thanks

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We recently visited Big Tomatoes Restaurant for the first time and were pleasantly suprised. The wine list was adequate with very reasonable pricing and the food was wonderful. I had scallops over angel hair pasta with asparagus. The scallops were perfectly done, pan seared and slightly crispy on the outside but moist and juicy on the inside. My husband had oso bucco with a creamy risotto which was also perfectly done. My only complaint were the house salads with lemon garlic dressing. The greens were adequate but there was neither a lemon or garlic flavor in the dressing. Pay the up charge and get a real salad. A fresh bread basket comes with your dinners that included home-made corn muffins that were outstanding and fresh baked bread with balsamic and olive oil dipping. We shared a bottle of reasonably priced old vine zin that was quite nice. We were on our way to another engagement so didn't have time to partake in an appetizer or dessert but looked forward to the next time we visit.

1  Thank wpsands
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I've eaten at Big Tomatoes several times, and the food has always been fabulous. Ingredients are always fresh, the flavors are great and the presentation is beautiful. Located in an old harware store, I love how they incorporated original items into the decor such as bits of hardware cabinetry on the wall. Portion size is appropriate. I have gone home with leftovers, but I'm happy to say they don't follow the midwestern tendency to have gargantuan portions that the average person would hurt themselves trying to finish. A great experience overall!

1  Thank Freshfoodfan
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Food was good but the portions were little. I had a steak, it was ok but small. Mama had Italian pasta, her's was small as well. Service was great, prices were a little high for what we got. Cost us almost $40!

2  Thank Charleskerr