“60's diner restaurant on east side of Green Bay.”
Review of Kroll's East

Kroll's East
Ranked #264 of 482 Restaurants in Green Bay
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Krolls east is a diner style restaurant on the east side of Green Bay.

This is a casual restaurant, jeans or shorts are fine. The restaurant has a large old time style counter area, booths and tables.

The styling is from the late 60’s and it does not appear they have updated.

We had hamburgers, fries and a shake. They were all very good. The shake was served in a old time metal container that you poured into your own glass.

If you are looking for late 60’s style diner that offers burgers, fries and shakes Krolls offers what you are seeking.

1  Thank TravelVlogger

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The service was absolutely awful, and the staff was rude. We were there for over an hour, we were never offered refils or anything. We were only spoken to when ordering and when our food was quite literally thrown down on the table and we were told to pay. When we pushed the bell at our table and were yelled at from the other side of the room asking what we wanted.
The food was okay, but it certainly didn't make up for the service.

2  Thank caiisw
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This review is for the East Side. Yes there is a BIG difference between East and West. You have to try the Onion Rings. Best around. Also the shakes. Burgers and Chili Spaghetti. Great place for young kids, old folks, and all in between. Recommended.

1  Thank ChiKid60035
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I grew up in Green Bay and Krolls West was a favorite place for my parents to take us out for dinner, then when I was a teenager (20 years ago) Krolls East and West were hang outs we frequented often. The food is exactly the quality you get in any hole in the wall bar, greasy and from a box. I've always known this but didn't mind. Any way I was in town recently to see my Dad for his birthday and when he suggested Krolls East for lunch I agreed, that was a mistake.

It was a Tuesday and on one of those flip through advertizing card holders on the table (which was disgustingly dirty by the way) we saw that that day they had a special for a burger or cheese burger fries and a drink. We were rushed to order by a young man so we both ordered the special, my Dad with "Everything on" on his burger and me only ketchup. The food arrived shortly and was delivered by a different server a young girl who asked who had "Everything on" and who had the only ketchup burgers. I signaled my Dad had "Everything on" and I ketchup. She explained the fries would be up shortly. She also delivered the bill and required payment right then and there. I didn't remember that from years ago, and even still thinking about it now find it very strange for a sit down restaurant. More on that a little later.

The girl took our money then asked if we wanted our change back,. Obviously we said yes as we had not even touched the food yet, had not even gotten our entire order as the fries were missing, and certainly didn't expect this to be the end of the service so we weren't ready to tip yet. After the girl had walked away with our money we found both of the burgers had "Everything on" instead of mine being ketchup only. I was with difficulty able to get her attention, and here is where it gets interesting, she told me that if I wanted another burger I would have to pay for it!

I explained that my order was incorrect, I would not be paying for something that I had not ordered, that I expected my food as ordered at the agreed upon price, and she could take the extra burger back. She said no it was their policy. My Dad I think trying to mollify the situation said he would just eat the extra burger and we would pay for it. I told the girl fine but told her to tell management that was very very poor customer service. She brought out my ketchup only burger and our fries with our change left from the now increased total.

So next a person who identified himself as the manager (I later found out by asking a bar tender his name is Nathan and is the son of the owner) came out and spoke to us telling us the policy is there to prevent people like my father and I from scamming free food from them! My Dad and I were flabbergasted, he just accused us of trying to steal from them. We were speechless and Nathan walked away. Now my Dad was about as angry as I was getting. We never saw any wait staff again even though we both wanted our beverages refilled. We left without tipping one penny and we both believe in 20% for even mediocre service.

For the rest of my life I will never ever patronage Kroll's again, this will go down as the worst service I've had in my 36 years of life and I am making it my mission to let the world know starting with Yelp.

As a post script, here are just a few reasons that you don't require payment at the time food is delivered to a table in a sit down restaurant, just the few that come easily to mind anyway.

First you vilify your customer base by treating them like you don't trust them. Obviously they do not trust their customers based on the accusations the manager made against my father and I. Treating your customers as the enemy is about as sure a way to ensure you don't have any customers as I can imagine. Treat a customer as unwanted and you will get your wish.

Second by requiring payment like that you give your customers the feeling that you want them out of the door a soon as possible, again making them feel unwelcome.

Third by making them feel unwelcome and hurried out of the door in addition too payment for services not yet completed you are killing the up sell possibilities for additional food, beverages, and deserts. Who is going to want to open their wallet again in a place they are not welcome? The best part is those up sells are where the real profits are. We never even saw our servers after the food was delivered much less offered desert.

Fourth in this day and age where cash is less and less common and Credit and Debt cards are king demanding payment up front is really going to limit tipping. This hurts the wait staff who are the public facing members of the restaurant. If they are not getting paid well they will not stick around, there will be high turn over and more terrible service further hurting the business.

For all of those reasons and more this is why successful businesses don't run this way. I don't think Trolls is going to be around much longer and if it does by some chance of tolerance manage it will never be the profit maker it could be with a little common sense.

5  Thank JonSmith60606
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The food is overcooked and the service is pretty slow and pushy when they do show up. The only highlight of this meal was the chicken dumpling soup. Don't be fooled though, its just dumplings in chicken broth, no veggies or even chicken. Greasy spoon kind of restaurant.

3  Thank Tootsie1841