“The best BBQ I've had outside of Texas”
Review of Joe's Texas BBQ

Joe's Texas BBQ
Ranked #28 of 467 Restaurants in Green Bay
Cuisines: Barbecue
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“The best BBQ I've had outside of Texas”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stumbled across this place on a whim last year, while in Green Bay for a work conference. It was great then, and great now when I went back for another work conference this year. The rip tips are off the hook, the texas tacos amazing, and the brisket is to die for. The service here is lacking, but it's walk up and they deliver, like Culver's...so not much is needed. The real star here is the food. You can't go wrong with anything here, and I can't wait to go back next year.

• Visited July 2013

GREEN BAY
“Just okay to below average - not worth a special trip”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Ordered the manager's special, as did a co-worker. Pulled pork, chips, and a soda. As we say down south "not much to write home to mamma about." Pork was under seasoned, little fatty, and lack much, if any, smoked flavor. No soda refill without charge. Chain restaurant down Lombardi is considerably better; nicer atmosphere; and most importantly better meat.

1 Thank dsj5777
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“i was going to buy a grill with a smoker but with BBQ this close that is this good I changed my mind”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Best BBQ I've had in a long time. Their baby back ribs and rib tips are delicious. Today i was surprised to see rack of lamb on their menu. Nicely frenched. Its good to see experimentation and new interesting things like this on the menu. It was very good. They recently expanded their eating area. Their bbq sauce is good but i got my first taste of bbq in Florida where they have a more mustard based sauce. It would be nice to see a couple other sauces being offered on the side. Mustard based and maybe a honey mustard also. And did i mention how awesome their food is? :-)

Illinois
“Joe's BBQ”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Husband and I were in Wisconsin (near Green Bay) last week for a week of vacation. As usual, I did lots of research beforehand re: places to eat. Joe's seemed to be highly recommended so I added it to the list. One day after riding bikes at Potawatomie State Park, on our way back to our rental we stopped by Green Bay to have "dunch" at Joe's. Where we reside in Illinois, there are two barbeque places we rotate on a very frequent basis - we are big into our Q. (One of the places is so good we are there literally every other week, sometimes every week.) So we were excited to possibly have some good Q while out of town.

We were surprised right off the bat by the lack of friendliness. There was a girl at the cash register and a guy working behind her. I certainly don't mean that I wanted someone to "fawn" all over us but after our smiling and saying hello, even a hint of friendliness back would have been nice. Since we had never been, we stood perusing the board trying to decide what to get while the girl stood silently at the register waiting on our order. I am frequently surprised by this kind of behavior at restaurants - the whole point of having a restaurant is that you want people to come in and eat your food and like it enough to come back. The customers are your income and the reason that your restaurant will survive so you would think employees could try just a little?

(Side note - regarding getting people to come to your restaurant and creating a good cash flow, the bathroom is not finished (as in insulation showing) so enough money must not be coming in. It was a hole-in the-wall type restaurant, which can be good sometimes if the food is worth it.)

So we ordered two sliced brisket sandwiches, and shared sides of baked beans, cole slaw, potato salad, and a slice of cornbread. (Which BTW, was delivered by the fellow in the kitchen without saying a word to us even after us again smiling and saying thank you.) Going back to having two good Q places where we live, the serving size of the sandwich was quite lacking. For the same price, we are not hungry after we leave our Q places - at Joe's, we were still hungry after finishing. The brisket itself was quite qood, very tender, smoky. The sides were just "eh", couldn't tell for sure if they were homemade. I know cornbread varies by region of the country and I'm a sweet cornbread person which Joe's was not so it could have just been personal that I didn't enjoy the cornbread. We joked in the car that we could have ordered two more sandwiches as we were still hungry but at that price, no. We headed over to Zesty's to try to finish filling up. Almost considered getting some supplemental tacos or something...... (And we are just average people with average appetites.)

Hopefully restaurants read their Yelp reviews - the message I would like to send to this place is - we were from out-of-state, took the time to research you on the internet, drive to find you, and spend money at your restaurant only to find unfriendliness and small portions.................­..

3 Thank ChuckinIL
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Mom and Pop Place”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

After a long day of traveling, we chose Joe's as our dinner destination during our stop in Green Bay. We didn't spend much time looking over reviews before heading out, so when we arrived, the small building took us by surprise.

The food was very good-- smokey and moist. Those in our party sampled both the pork and the brisket in various ways. The sides were equally tasty, though the servings were fairly small. Joe's was out of hot dogs and ice the night we visited, which seemed weird, but we didn't really sweat it too much since the place was very much a mom and pop type of joint.

• Visited July 2013