“Overdue Review of the Best Restaurant in Green Bay”
Review of Plae Bistro

Plae Bistro
Ranked #3 of 493 Restaurants in Green Bay
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2014

My review is way overdue for this lovely establishment. I tend to travel to Green Bay fairly often and I get very homesick for my Chicago restaurants when I am away from the city. This place is a saving grace for me! The food is great, the martinis are great and the better than sex cake....well....it sure is good ;-)! In the past, I have had the fish tacos and I believe it was a pecan encrusted halibut which is my favorite fish. Both dishes were very tasty. The décor and ambiance of the restaurant is great as well especially since they have expanded. This establishment could totally make it in Chicago and I believe I told them this. It's a restaurant that shouldn't be missed if you are in the area.

2  Thank DNice18

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We came in early as is our custom and had no problem getting seated around 6:00 on a Thursday. I've eaten in a lot of expensive famous restaurants with household name chefs and I've also paid the price. I found the food at the Plae Bistro really amazing and an unbelievably good value. After thousands of restaurant meals you can tell a kitchen that really cares. The way the food is plated. The quality of the ingredients. The little things.

Here's an example, the olive oil on the table to dip your bread. Most restaurants put out some cheap Bertolli quality oil and there you go. Plae put out a very high quality olive oil, it had some spices, a little cheese, pepper, I don't really know exactly, but it was amazing. I could have made a meal out of just that. Point is nothing in this place is just slapped on the table, it is prepared with a lot of thought, love, and care.

They really deserve to be number one in Green Bay, Bravo.

1  Thank Alex B
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My family and I moved back to Wisconsin from Houston (food mecca!) approximately 6 years ago. Shortly after arriving in Green Bay, we were introduced to Plae Bistro. Locally owned and operated, Jill and her family have created a wonderful, fine-dining experience - complete with a more contemporary/industrial-chic style (neutral gray/black/white colors, burlap pillows and heavy Italian & glass light fixtures, etc). Plae has grown immensely in popularity - so much so that Green Bay Packer player sightings aren't uncommon. We love their martinis, pecan-encrusted walleye, fish tacos, healthy grilled chicken salads and gooey desserts ("Better than sex" cake is true to it's name!). They also usually start you off with delicious, assorted, warm buns and olive tampenade. Can't say enough good things about this wonderful place!

2  Thank Laurie P
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My family and I were returning from Door County on our way to Milwaukee. This is the perfect place to stop since it's not far from the highway. I would consider driving to Green Bay just for this restaurant.

First off, I liked the ambiance of this restaurant. Light and airy. It wasn't too busy at lunch, so I don't know how loud it would be when it is crowded. The artwork was nice and so was the music.

We did not order appetizers, and I'm glad we didn't because the serving sizes were large. I ordered the gyros because I don't often see them on menus. They were HUGE. I could only eat one. The lamb was smoky and the pita fresh, although a little thick for my taste. The salad that came with it was fine. My son ordered the macaroni and cheese with grilled chicken. It also was huge. Even after everyone at the table tasted it, we still took home half of it. A roll and butter/oil/tapenade was served with the pasta. The presentation was lovely. My other son ordered the Gorgonzola buffalo burger medium-rare with chips and salsa. It was cooked perfectly, which does not normally happen with burgers. The salsa was very nice. My husband ordered the grouper cakes, which was on the shareable plates menu. Again, the presentation was beautiful and the flavor great. It was large enough for a lunch, but it did not come with anything. A small salad would be make it a complete lunch.

Our waitress Megan brought a dessert tray. Everything looked good. We ordered the chocolate cake and the macaroons. Both were excellent, but I thought the macaroons were the clear winner. They were attractive and full of flavor. The service throughout the meal was quick and non-intrusive.

The wine list was extensive with a selection from around the world. The prices were actually reasonable. Of course there is a mark-up, but it wasn't as much as many restaurants we've visited. They will re-cork a bottle to go if you don't finish it.

I can't wait to go back!

2  Thank Ttttraveler
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were visiting Green Bay from NYC and we were looking for a restaurant with healthy options. We both ate delicious fish entrees. We enjoyed our meal entirely, from the soup and salad, the tuna app, the main course and dessert. We were not disappointed!

2  Thank Cheryl L