“Half Hyatt, Half Embassy Suites”

Hyatt Regency Green Bay
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Green Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ontario Canada
“Half Hyatt, Half Embassy Suites”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Once you enter your room you know this Hyatt used to be an Embassy Suites.
The layout with living-room, bathroom and bedroom all in a line gives it away..

We stayed for three nights (third night free) to attend the Oshkosh airshow and visit a few highlights of Green Bay. Who know that the last time Elvis's roller-coaster was in Green bay d still runs today and costs only $1 to ride?

The hotel is an interesting mix of Hyatt and Embassy.
Overall a very good place to stay and less than $90 an night for a solid 3* stay.
The rooms are newly renovated in the Hyatt style and have 2 flat screen TVs each.
The pub food is surprisingly reasonably priced.(exceptional for any hotel).
Internet and parking are free.
The hotel has a fabulous gym, a very warm pool (likely appreciated in winter, but a tad too warm for summer) with a decent hot tub.

A couple suggestions for improvement.

Hot Breakfast is self-serve. Lots of staff (on the weekend) are hovering around to remove plates and paper (yes paper!) cups. But the only eggs are scrambled ones in a large serving dish under a heat lamp. Why not reduce (weekend) staff by two and hire one person to cook eggs and omelets to order ?

Rooms are nicely renovated except for the doors which need to be replaced and/or painted at least. In our room, one of the glass panels beside by the entry door was quite loose and rattled when someone walked by.

Parking is directly outside the main doors but that lot gets full when there is an event at the connected convention center. One then has to park across the street and walk over a bridge through the convention center area into the hotel. Why does the hotel not require those who are there for the event only, to park across the street ?

2 Thank 4star-at-2star-price

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Pfafftown, North Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for Green Bay Packers Training Camp the end of July, 2012 and had never been here before, so sight unseen. We were so very pleasantly surprised at the beauty of this hotel, and to have a true suite. It was also clean and offered a wonderful breakfast plan on our weekend, otherwise $10.00 a bit much. The part I loved was the hotel is within walking distance of the fox river on the Green Bay, so we took advantage of walking/sitting by the water, the seagulls for me were an awesome added charm to the area. We rode the "Foxy Lady" nice large boat parked nearby and enjoyed this a lot, very nice boat and history on your ride, will certainly do again!
I saw some others weren't too impressed, but we found nothing wrong with our stay. I have to agree the pool water and that room were on the too hot side, but that wasn't a huge big deal for us. Best of all their room prices were great comparably. They had a lot of activities with live music, etc. going on all around the town, of course we were there in the summer. We can't wait to go back and would def stay there again. Try and see Bay Beach Amusement Park and Wildlife Sanctuary not too far, very nice and affordable prices from back in the day!

Hubertus, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Hyatt on Main, nee Hotel Sierra, nee Regency Suites, nee Embassy Suites...They did a good job of putting a thin coat of new paint on this old place, but don't look too closely. At first glance, everything looks like a new Hyatt property, but look closer and you'll see the 30+ year old obvious Embassy Suites. From the outer room you could hear all the noise in the atrium, my pet peeve about old Embassy Suites.

We stayed for a wedding so we had a $99 rate. Otherwise the best rate was $155! Yes, in Green Bay, not on a Packer home game weekend!

Amenities were average. We didn't use the pool and no, we are not paying $10 for breakfast buffet.

I lived in Green Bay for 13 years am confident that there are many better properties for a better rate.

Room Tip: The rooms on the north side have a view of a brick wall.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rick G
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We have been going to Green Bay for their 4th of July celebration for years and have stayed at this property a number of times.

The location can't be beat, all of the downtown amenities right outside your door and easy commute any where in the area.

The hotel itself has gone down hill in my opinion. Having a suite is great, however, our room was on the second floor and some type of machine (I believe it was the elevator motor)ran constantly, the air conditioner was loud and would shut off for a few seconds every five minutes of so which made falling asleep a challenge. The beds have seen better days, kind of sunk in on one side.

We were able to live with this, but the pool area was the worst. With outside temperatures reaching near 100 a cool dip in the pool sounds great, right? Don't try it hear, the pool was warmer that the whirlpool?

When we complained to the maintenance staff we were told people like it that way, now, we don't like the water to be freezing cold, but under 90 degrees would have been nice. Our whole time there we could not even sit by the pool because the whole room was SO hot it was not enjoyable.

Most of the staff didn't really seem to care, there was one young lady at the front desk the day we checked out who was very helpful, wish we could remember her name - Thank you.

As was stated the rest of the staff didn't seem to care, like when we mentioned to one staff member that there were 4 very young (youngest maybe 4 years old)alone in the pool area he looked in and walked away - maybe they belonged to staff members? Another incident had to do with the internet service they have in the lobby, for $5.95 for 15 minutes, really, all we wanted was to look up a movie time since we couldn't really enjoy the pool. A front desk staff member, when asked about the price simply stated "That's right, that's the price" he didn't even offer to look up the movie for us.

We have stayed on this property all the back to the orginal Embassy Suites days, won't be staying again to soon, if ever.

1 Thank thetmjs
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 26, 2012

OK, So the Hyatt on Main is obviously a re-purposed old style Embassy Suites. No rocket science there! They did a good job of taking the guest rooms and updating them nicely. Spacious, Nice Hyatt modern styling, and very clean all around. No obvious bathroom wear or gross re-caulking that you typically see in a hotel with many miles on it. Great TV's, nice amenities, and I could easily recommend the wonderful beds and clean bedding. Very good really!

Working late though I came to the hotel the 1st night and ordered room service. A portabello mushroom sandwich with fries. The food was brought to me in a brown grocery bag in a foam take-away container. Plasticware and pakets of ketchup included. Sandwich and drink and side salad - total cost $41 and change. That's right - $41. Sandwich was greasy and unedible. The portabello mushroom cooked to the consistency of shrunken rubber. Fries - cold and stale. I could've gone to subway fore a sandwich and chips and drink for under $10. The question is - why didn't I? Just terrible room service food. The server was very hospitable, but this just doesn't seem to be Hyatt quality.

Next night, I go tot he Hyatt sports bar and grill and order a cheese pizza. It was a store bought cheese pizza! How do I know this? I asked, and they told me it was Red Baron pizza. At least it was hot!

At other Hyatt's I have been offered concierge treatment as a Diamond level member. Free breakfast, etc. At the front desk I was told I could have the breakfast buffet for $10/day. Even from 7 floors up it looked a little unappealing so I did not avail myself of that opportunity.

My recommendation - come for the room, the quiet, the cleanliness, and the spaciousness. Don't eat here! Front desk staff seemed pleasantly helpful although I think a new dress code/uniform might make a difference as several of them looked a little disheveled and unpressed. I know-that's picky-but it makes an impression!

I will use the Hyatt again on future visits as it was reasonably priced, even during the EAA airshow in Oshkosh. While everyone else was in the mid to hi $200, the Hyatt got me in at $129. Praises to them for that.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank McQuality
Charles Town, West Virginia
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I spent 3 days in this hotel and totally loved it! I wanted to stay in a location that gave me something to do during the day while my husband went to meetings. The location of this hotel in the downtow area od Greenbay was perfect. It's an enormous place because its ba conference center, very modern in decorations, extremely clean inside and out and well laid out. I found the interior to be airy and quite beautiful. There was plenty of parking.

Everyone I met on the staff were friendly and helpful. Every square inchnoc that place was well kept. I was so impressed! There was soo much light throughout the whole facility.

Room Tip: the upper floors provide a great view of the atruim.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LWR2009
Southern Wisconsin
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Have stayed here before when Regency Suites. Then similar to a Quality suites with happy hour and free HOT breakfast for guests. No more. The rooms are nice. But if party in atrium can be very loud for guests. And Very slow elevators. Pool ok. I had emailed about breakfast and told 8.00. If breakfast had been any different than breakfast at Comfort Suites the day before we might have opted to pay, but after seeing it and being told it was now 10.00...NOT. No apologies offered either. Was our favorite GB hotel but no more. We did go to the Pancake Place instead and it was very good and very inexpensive! Not many opted to pay for this non special average breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012