“Terrible Service - Will Not Stay Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #21 of 41 Hotels in Green Bay
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
“Terrible Service - Will Not Stay Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

As a Choice Privileges Gold Member I have stayed at this property in the past but after this experience never again. I am from only about 100 miles north of Green Bay so we come here once a month to shop in the Green Bay/Appleton area and typically we stay the night so we can get as much in as possible. This particular occasion I was attending a conference in Neenah and due to the late hour of arrival, we decided to stay in Green Bay and drive the rest of the way in the morning. I had called ahead and had been quoted a $70 state government rate and was sold. The rate was good, the location was convenient right off the freeway and provided a continental breakfast all of which were appealing due to the early morning I had. I have attended numerous meetings and weddings here so like I said I have stayed here in the past but it has been a few years. I was anxious to see the renovations that they had done to the property and on the outside everything looks great but appearances are deceiving.

We checked in, headed to the room and then went to the bar to have a glass of wine after they provided us with complimentary drink coupons. The room had been updated since the last time I stayed there but I was surprised at the lack of updating to the doors and bathroom. The doors are beat up and in the dark 80's style and the bathroom still had the tacky turquoise tile, no granite counters, and didn't have the bent out shower rod which is standard in all hotels now. All of this can be overlooked because of the cleanliness of the room but when the entire hotel inside and out has been updated why not update the doors and bathrooms in the mean time?

We then went to the bar to take advantage of the complimentary drink coupons they provided. My wife and I had a glass of wine and then I stayed to have another glass of wine. The service was terrible, the guy working the bar didn't talk with us, he instead ignored us and the only time he acknowledged our existence was when I called him over to get another glass of wine. When I was done, I gave him the coupons and was told I still owed $10 because the coupons were only good for $3.50 a piece. I was surprised and to the credit of the property the vouchers did say only good for up to $3.50. I stopped at the bathroom in the restaurant on my way out and again, all of the doors are beat up and just look very 80s compared to the rest of the hotel. The rest of the restaurant however has been renovated and appears to be a very nice and classy environment.

I went back to the room and went to bed, or at least attempted to. We were kept up by people talking. At first we thought it was from a neighboring room but when I called to the desk I was told no one was next to us. We thought it might be from the hallway and when I checked it out, nothing. I checked the courtyard thinking it might be from people outside smoking, but again there was no one out there. We never could figure out the source of the noise and the only thing I can think of is that it was traveling through the vents or it was from another room down the hall. As I was venturing around trying to get outside, I noticed the pool area had been redone into a "waterpark." They used to have a big spacious pool area to sit around and relax but even that has been ruined to be a cramped area with no where to sit. Very disappointing.

We were kept up most of the night and had a 6:00 wake up call but who needs a wake up call when you can be waken up by doors slamming just after 5. Again, why haven't they updated the doors to be more soundproof? We went to breakfast and the best service of the entire stay came from the guy who was making omelets. We checked out, voiced our complaints and were just given a look of "what do you want me to do?" from the desk clerk.

We headed to Neenah and I finally took a look at the bill to see we had been charged $113. That's a big difference from the $70 I was quoted. On my way home, we stopped in the hotel to ask about the charge. $10 of it was our bar bill, another $10 was for my wife, another $10 was for my son and the $13 was taxes. I undestand the extra $10 per adult but explained how my son had traveled with us and his friends picked him up and was out for the night and didn't stay with us. I was then essentially told I was a liar and that because he arrived with us we had received COMPLIMENTARY drink coupons and COMPLIMENTARY breakfast for three. Obviously this is not complimentary otherwise we wouldn't have been charged extra for it. I understand the extra $10 per adult, but when I made the reservation they didn't ask how many people were in the room and just booked it at $70.

I was not going to argue the charges anymore because it wasn't worth my time or energy and I can certainly afford the extra charges but its a matter of principle. These people had the opportunity to remedy the situation more than once and chose not to. We had chosen this hotel over the newer, nicer and friendlier Cambria Suites or Hotel Sierra because we had to be up so early and wanted the advantage of being right off the freeway and having the continental breakfast ready for us. I could have stayed at a lot nicer hotel and paid to go out to eat for less than what I was charged at the Comfort Suites. I am extremely disappointed in this hotel. I don't know if they are struggling to make back what they made on the renovations or if it's just poor management but whatever the case I will not stay here again. If I have to be there for an event again, I will go out of my way to stay somewhere else. That is how dissatisfied I was with my stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Robert D
CSGreenBay, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
It is very unfortunate that the experience you had at our hotel was not up to your standards. Our entire Team is extremely dedicated to personalized and expedient service of the highest level.

We have looked into your concerns and appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback and would love to have you contact myself or our General Manager to assist you further in your concerns.

We are currently the third ranked hotel by TripAdvisor travelers in the Green Bay Market and a Platinum ranked hotel by Choice Hotels Standards thru September. We feel we have obtained these rankings due to our high level of customer service and amenities offered. We know if you chose to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to Green Bay that it will be a more enjoyable stay at the Comfort Suites Green Bay!

Thank you for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

Aaron Wolf
Director of Sales and Marketing
920-499-7449

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

We are so happy we chose this hotel over the other 2 water park hotels in town. We are a family with 3 kids ages 5 and under. This water park was PERFECT for them. Small enough to not make them feel overwhelmed and perfectly sized to let them play with us at ease. It has a play area with sprayers, a slide and some other water things, a slide (that my 3 year old could go down himself just fine--it's small compared to most water parks) and a pool area with 2 basketball hoops along with a hot tub. The rooms were fine, we were in an executive suite and it was nice, it has a separate bedroom with a king sized bed and then a pull out bed in the living room area. It also has a huge jacuzzi tub which the kids loved. We had a great continental breakfast both mornings, and especially the last morning it was fabulous because they have a cook making omelets (among all the other food). We will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Desbarats, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

We recently travelled from Ontario to Wisconsin to purchase a travel trailer and needed to stay overnight. I booked this hotel due to the location as well as the reviews. We were extremely satisfied with virtually everthing about this hotel. The pool area was fantastic (especially if you had kids), the breakfast (made to order omellettes, waffles, fruit, pastries, yogurt, etc) was delicious. The rooms were great....spacious, clean, very comfortable. Although, we did not eat at the restaurant, their menu looked very good, with lots of choices and good specials. The lounge/bar was a quiet and relaxing area and we thoroughly enjoyed our complimentary drinks, while unwinding after a long drive. Oh, and did I mention, the price was right, too!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

Comfort Suites has a tremendous atmosphere with a very courteous and professional staff. The rooms are very spacous and clean. A great place to stay for business or pleasure. The complimentary breakfast is unbelieveable! Omelets to order. Is there any better way to start your day?

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank sipplemw
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

Highly recommend for Wedding or Special Occasion. Large banquet halls or intimate area for showers. Great service and planning personnel. All in one package. Hotel, Halls and Fine Dining. What more could you ask for?! Won't regret it!

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank GBtomedcity
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

When we travel to Green Bay, we would not stay at any other hotel. After staying there a number of times, it has always been clean, and the staff pleasant. The convenient location makes it easy for us to visit family and friends. We look forward to staying with them again this summer. A bonus is the restaurant attached to the hotel - 1951!

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

My opinion for this hotel started on the right note when I arrived early and needed an early check-in. I wasn't given any sort of hassle because the room I was going to stay in was available and clean so I was able to instantly put my things in my room and prepare for my afternoon meetings. I thought that I would be sprawled out on the bed with all of my notes but there was a very large desk in the room with a plug in for internet. The hotel is located just off of Hwy 29 which was where I was coming from and made the drive in incredibly convenient. I would suggest anyone traveling from the western part of Wisconsin stay here for ease of travel! The staff was very helpful and nice the whole stay. I think one of the biggest highlights I had though was my meal at the restaurant 1951 West that is attached. I have a review up for that location too!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business