“Just Terrible”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee Bayshore Area
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Glendale
Reviewed May 22, 2013

List of things that went wrong this visit:
1. Internet wouldn't connect 80% of the time
2. Television went in and out of service
3. Couldn't use side door
4. Room smelled like smoke
5. Terrible night front desk service
6. Couldn't use some elevators

This was a horrible trip and I would not have stayed here had my company not been paying for it. I would never pay out of my own pocket to stay here. I called about the television and the front desk lady said the TV doesn't work when the weather is bad (it was drizzling outside, no thunder, no lightening, just light rain). I told her this was one of many inconveniences, she said the manager would be in the next day if I wanted to do anything about it. She sounded like, and all but said, she could care less. Sounds like she should be answering the phone anywhere but at a place of business. She did nothing to try and assist me and she was the same one I spoke with last night about the internet. Pretty much said, "don't know what's wrong. Sorry." She sounded anything but sorry.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SarahLTwoCents
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee Bayshore Area

Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was my first time stay at a La Quinta hotel. This place was real nice. Room had 2 separate rooms. The bedroom had 2 beds and the other room had a pull out soft bed with desk and flat screen tv. The bathroom was clean and very big.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Daddyo1947
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I would recommend La Quinta Inn & Suites to anyone. It was the best value for the price. The rooms were beautiful and clean and the staff was very accomodating. I have stayed at hotels and paid almost $200 and there was no refrigerator, microwave, separate sleeping area nor a hot breakfast in the morning. I will definately stay at a La Quinta Inn & Suites the next time I book a room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Nina P
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn and Suites on a Saturday night...and it was certainly a party! The hotel is located in a very busy area and was full of kids the night we were there. It seemed there was a celebration of some sort with many middle school-aged kids running up and down the halls and on the elevators in their bathing suits. My point is that if you're looking for quiet, this may not be the place. Our room was spacious with a separate living area. The beds were comfortable and the room clean. The interesting thing I noticed was that the bedskirts were markedly wrinkled, almost like they had been bunched up in a corner and put on the bed without ironing. At a price below $100 including a continental breakfast, I feel like this hotel was average. I probably would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have frequently stayed at this property and find it consistently excellent!
The staff is very friendly, accommodating and efficient.
The rooms are spacious, recently renovated, clean and include great pillow top mattresses. Many also have great Jacuzzis.
The location is terrific blocks from an upscale mall, easily accessible to Downtown Milwaukee and the airport.
Breakfast is excellent and ample.
The renowned Kopp's custard restaurant next to the property rounds out a "delicious escape"!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank judyk736
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Beautiful property but it is ruined by locals staying for free and running people out. Do your best to avoid this hotel and find a better place. There were kids riding the baggage carts down the halls, pulling fire alarms and smoking pot in several areas of the hotel.

Read the full text below.

Keep the local homeless people out! It is my understanding that the hotel allows local homeless and low income people to stay at the hotel for free or a very reduced price. I was with a group of 12 rooms that needed a good rest and with the noise we did not get that. The first night we tried to go in to the pool but were quickly encouraged to leave due to us "not fittin' in wit da crue dats in here", we are white and there were no less than 30 African American children in the pool. When we left the pool area there were no towels to use but we saw small children carrying around 5 at a time and the next morning the room across from ours had a pile with at least 50 pool towels. We ended up walking back to our room soaking wet. Later in the evening there were around 10 people sitting in the hall rolling the luggage carts up and down the hall with kids on them, this ended around 12:30 am. I did not complain about any of this because I thought for one night it would be tolerable.
The next day when we returned to the hotel there were very few people in the pool so our children got to enjoy it for a couple of hours. Around 8pm my children returned to our room and watched movies before going to sleep and my wife and I retreated to the breakfast area to enjoy the company of the other adults in our group. Around 10pm the fire alarm went off. I immediately returned to my room to check on the children, whom at this point were at the door ready to go out of the building. The alarm was quickly shut off and we all returned to the breakfast area. Over the course of an hour the alarm went off several more times preventing my children from getting some much needed sleep after a long day. One of the parents in our group inquired with the front desk as to what was happening and the hotel personnel stated that someone from room 300 was pulling the alarm. Room 300 was the room I was staying in and all of my children were with me! I approached the front desk and explained that all of the people in room 300 were with me and there was no way they could be pulling the alarm. She responded with "I am just going by what I am told and someone said kids from room 300 are running up and down the halls pulling the alarms and the police are on their way!" At this point I asked to talk to her supervisor; she responded that they were not there. I asked to see the security camera footage of my kids pulling the alarms; she said there were no cameras in that area.
When the police arrived one of the parents in our group talked to them and assured them we were all in the breakfast area when the alarms were going off. The officers walked the halls of the building and determined that people were smoking pot in several areas of the hotel, setting the alarms off. This is not where I want my children but I had little choice at 11:30pm 400 miles from home. I never did receive any apology for the accusations to my children.
During our time in the sitting area we observed 50 or more people coming and going. The people, to me, looked like locals and dressed in a way to suggest they were affiliated with the free room program. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way racist. I work with and have several close friends that are minorities. I do not judge people based on their color, only behavior and attitude, but I was intimidated and quite frankly concerned for my children’s welfare when they were approached in the pool area.
I love LaQuinta Inns and have stayed in many in the past but I am not sure I would ever recommend this hotel to anyone, nor would I stay in this hotel again. I was a bit upset that after paying full price for a room for 2 nights I was not able to use the hotel due to the number of free users. The property was beautiful and the price was great but I did not feel comfortable or safe in the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ThisGuy54729
Reviewed March 4, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 506pennyc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glendale
Days Inn & Suites Milwaukee
#44 of 56 in Milwaukee
Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee Bayshore Area? Share your experiences!