“18 West (Saxe's) Cold Beer - Awesome Steaks - Impeccable Service”

18 West Dining and Banquets
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Milwaukee, WI
“18 West (Saxe's) Cold Beer - Awesome Steaks - Impeccable Service”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I like to go to 18 West (formerly Saxe's) for a Beer. However we dropped by for steak on "Steak Night". They offered a few special steak entrees. The steaks and quality of the food was really good. The atmosphere of the entire place is really high end. So perfect and clean and inviting, you get the impression this is "high end" dining. And it is high end dining, but at a good price and great atmosphere. The steak (Ribeye Special) was perfect and huge for the price. I had a sandwich and the "pencil" fries are really good and evil. I would highly recommend you get a pitcher of beer, instead of just by the glass. How many places in the lake country area have this kind of quality dining and sell a large number of great microbrews on tap in the pitcher. Very few. The owner comes by at least once during the meal to verify everything is perfect.

• Visited August 2012

Hartland Wisconsin, United States
“Great Place!!”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

If you are looking for a great place to relax and unwind 18west is it. I have been a customer for a little more than 22 years and have never had a bad experience. The staff has always been extremely friendly and efficient. Their menu items are affordable and tasty. Their Sunday breakfast buffet is outstanding and we have frequented it many, many Sunday's!!! Made to order omelette's and Belgian waffles are freshly made while you wait. So many goodies you just gotta check it out. The Bloody Mary's and Mimosa's are also worth the trip in.

• Visited July 2012
Oconomowoc
“If you want a friendly atmosphere with outstanding, reasonably priced menu ....”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I have been patrons of 18 West Dining & Banquets (formerly Saxe's) for more than 20 years. You will find us there every Friday evening after a long work week. The staff is friendly and professional. The menu offers everything from a light sandwich or salad to some of the best steaks and baby rack ribs anywhere. Sometimes it's great to go out during the work week, and if you do be sure to take in the double lobster tails every Tuesday night. The best deal in town and the lobster is sweet and melts in your mouth.
The restaurant and bar is always clean and inviting and it's the place to be for fantastic live music Thursday through Saturday.
Anyone who says it is anything less, wasn't at 18 West Dining and Banquets!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Kathy T
Fox Point, WI
“Food was ok, establishment was a bit strange”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

First off, Saxes is in Genesee not Delafield as listed.

Anyways, we dined at Saxes for dinner on a weekday night. We thought we would try something new and I have driven past this place hundreds of times.

We decided to sit at the bar and eat at the bar as we normally do on weekdays when we go out and the bar tender was friendly and took our drink orders. Bloody Mary $6.50 and a tap Miller Light $3.25. I thought the Bloody Mary price was a tad high and the mix they use is low end so that did not help my decision that the drink was crap.

We ordered a cup of soup $3.25, house salad $4.95, Burger $10.95. The burger was good and cooked the way I ordered it. The soup was also good and the salad was a standard house salad. This area is full of places to get a good burger. Although the burger was good, you could travel a short distance and get better.

I thought it was strange that the bartender could not take our food order. So we had to go through a waiter for food and a bar tender for drinks. The bartender gave us the option of paying cash or fronting up our credit card which seemed strange in a dinner club. We were the only people there; I think they would have caught us if we would have tried to skip out on the bill? Maybe we look untrustworthy?!!

There were other odd things about this place and I will likely not return. There are so many other places close by that have better food and are not so…. Strange. Maybe their brunch is good, or if we would have actually ordered something of substance from the menu, or if we were 80 years old.

Overall, I won’t go back, but you should check it out for yourself and make your own opinion.

Saxe’s
[--]

• Visited January 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Pretty good local fare”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I chanced upon it. It is a very large banquet hall with an immediate dining area. Casual fine dining. We had hamburgers and a lobster mac and cheese. All of it was good, but not sure if it was worth the $10 each. But, the menu price point is higher - more on the $20 range, and we had the sandwich options. It was a good option, but not vying to go back. The service was good. Initially we just wanted to check the menu, because the place was so close to the b & b we were staying in, and didn't want to drive far. It was pricier than what we wanted, but the owner kept talking to us, and we felt to give it a try.

There were a lot of local families there. I could see this being a good local option for regulars, but not sure for visitors necessarily.

Visited October 2011