“pros and cons”

Brefeld's Pine Grove Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fremont
Brefeld's Pine Grove Resort
Lake Arrowhead, Wisconsin
“pros and cons”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just came back from a weekend at Pine Grove. Arrived Friday night and had the best Fish Fry I have had in years, Sherry's potato salad is amazing!! The cabins are dated and sparse, ours had 2 bedrooms, one with 3 twin beds, one with a double bed, there was a bench by the front door, a table with 4 chairs and an old dresser. There were no bedside tables or lamps, just a bare overhead light bulb, the double bed was so old and worn out that my husband and I couldn't share it as we just sunk to the middle (were forced to spend the weekend in separate bedrooms!!). There was no sofa or armchair in the cabin, if you wanted to stretch out and read a book you had to go to bed!! There was an old plastic table with plastic chairs on the little cabin deck, but once again no lawn chairs or area to relax and sit back.
Breakfast was delicious, and the Bloody Mary's just great!! The bar and restaurant are the focus of the resort, there is a big gazebo out front and picnic tables to gather, the owners are wonderfully accommodating and the clientele great fun. But the resort is very tiny and once again there is nowhere on the property to stretch out on a lawn chair or hammock, you can sit at the bar or at a table or you can lay down in bed,,,those are the choices.
We got an area visitors book and map and visited all the resorts listed on the Fremont area map, if we chose to come back to the Fremont area we would stay at Pine Grove again as the other resorts were either smack dab in the middle of residential neighborhoods, had no water view from the accommodations or had hundreds of trailers packed in like sardines! At least Pine Grove felt somewhat secluded, there are large trees and the property is well tended, and you could sit on your little deck and have a view of the water. The cabins are beyond dated however and not terribly comfortable,,,more of a guys fishing shack than a resort cabin. But we did relax and enjoy our stay and may come back if we can't find a better option!! Sherry and Terry were the best hosts I have ever had, they are very proud of their little place, very friendly and really want their guests to enjoy!!

Room Tip: Make sure there is some sort of sofa or easy chair in your cabin!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lynniegoes

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Marion, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have never had resort owners been as involved and concerned on how my fishing, resort, food experience would be! The area is absolutely breathtaking, the cabins are yes (dated) but VERY clean! The sunday breakfast is out of this world people from ALL over the area come here to have the best breakfast around! You could go anywhere in this area and see the same things BUT you will NEVER have the SAME EXPERIENCE!! thumbs up!!! LOVE IT!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank suzzayne
Waupaca, WI
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I am so glad that we chose to have a Friday night fish fry at Pine Grove Resort. It was the best fish fry I have ever had! They went the "extra mile" putting it into a basket, which was arranged beautifully, with Lake perch and lemon wedges on a decorated toothpick, home made potato salad, marbled rye bread and a slice of watermelon on a lettuce leaf. The fish was perfect and I love the laid back atmosphere. Tony and Sherry are wonderful, gracious people. I recommend everyone to visit their resort and their restaurant.

Julie A. Ruedinger - Waupaca, WI

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JulieWaupaca_WI
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 27, 2010

My brother-in-law and I spent three nights there in May for the white bass run. this was our second stay there. The resort is somewhat dated, but it is clean and the owners were very accommodating and friendly. It is not a resort you'd go to with the family to spend your summer vacation, but all in all, it is a good value for the money for sportsmen.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank bottlebass57
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 30, 2010

My two brothers and I accidentally brought Sherry's boat in 30 minutes late. The proprietor Sherry proceeded to yell at my father and then, in the middle of our meal in Sherry's lodge, she rudely asked us to step outside of the lodge and proceeded to yell at myself and my two brother's like we were her 6 year old children (we are all over 30). A simple, "bring the boat in late again, and you'll get a fine would've sufficed." I told her we did not know, and she said that was not an excuse and continued to talk to us like children. I do not recommend this resort to anyone as the proprietor is completely inappropriate and has less than ideal customer service skills.

In addition, the resort is relatively clean, but is in bad need of updating/remodeling as everything is old and therefore, appears dirty. I will not return to this resort in the future and would certainly not recommend this resort to anyone I know.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
12 Thank michaelstanley

Been to Brefeld's Pine Grove Resort? Share your experiences!