“Excellent German food”

Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2012

It has been around 4 years since we have been back here, it's the same as it was 4 years ago, GREAT! This evening was St. Patrick's Day, and we knew it's a German restaurant, but they had Corned beef and cabbage. I chose to have that and my husband had the Wiener Schnitzel, which also was done to perfection. I did not have any bad experiences w/ the wait staff or the bar area. The only complaint I would have is that the portions were smaller than we had expected, but still had plenty of food! I would definitely go back!

1  Thank Love2Ctheworld1117

Reviewed January 4, 2012

Excited to try this restaurant because many have said the food was really good but get a carry-out. We now clearly understand what everyone is talking about! I took my family there for dinner 01/04/2012 wanting to give them a try. The service was seriously the worst I have ever had!! The staff this night consisted of a Hostess, 2 wait staff, 2 bartenders, and a bus girl. Its sad when the bus girl was the best part of the service. She received the full 20% tip because she deserved it. She was the one getting our drinks, our bread, water....ect. Let me say that the food was really good. My steak was made exactly as ordered and was mouth watering. Because the food was so good I choose to advise the hostess of the poor service. And it actually got worse!! The hostess defended the waitress saying I had gone to the ladies room and missed the waitress stopping by the table. Really....did my family members "miss her stopping by" too?? She also suggested that perhaps I should come back another night and maybe the service will be better. I advised her that I may have given them a second try until she repeatly insulted me with what she KNOWS is horrible service!! Take your money somewhere else...you may leave full but you"ll also have a headache!!

1  Thank Cindy K
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Went to Wegner's a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday, after making reservations the day before. When we arrived at the appointed time, there were several tables open, and a large amount of staff, including waitresses, bartenders, and a hostess, who were chatting amongst themselves. We had to wait over five minutes to be seated, most of which was taken up by trying to get the waitress whose coat was at inexplicably on our table to move it. It was maddening to wait to be seated for no good reason (we were not allowed to seat ourselves, and the coat was a holy relic unable to be touched by any except the one who'd put it there), especially when the table was open, we had reservations, and there were at least a half dozen employees on hand who, one would think, would have been up to the challenge.

It took over 2 hours to get a simple meal. We sat there for 15 minutes waiting for menus. We sat there for another 20 minutes waiting for waitress to come with drinks. We spent another 15-20 minutes after that waiting for her to take our order. Once order was placed, we received it rather quickly. The food was excellent, flavorful and hot.

During our meal, the entire table wanted refills on their drinks. Our waitress was AWOL, however, for more than 15 minutes. We asked another waitress if she could get us drinks. She said she couldn't get us drinks, but would find our waitress. Whether she ever did is debatable as our waitress ambled back to the table some 20+ minutes later. After waiting for almost half an hour, before the waitress made an appearance, my wife went up to the bar to get the drinks, but was ignored by the bartender who was busy chatting with the locals and the waitstaff. I finally went up there, and, after waiting over 5 minutes or so for him to deign to recognize me, he reluctantly took my order. I shuffled six drinks to the table, two at a time, in front of three socializing waitressses whose contribution to the process was moving out of the way with ill grace when I was trying to wend my way through.

When we got our bill, we paid partially in cash and partially by credit, with instructions that $30 was supposed to go on credit card, with rest to be paid out of cash. The waitress brought back the charge slip with the $30 charge on it for signature, but didn't bring back our change from the cash (was about $10 - we were going to leave a minimal tip because of horrible service). We shrugged, decided it wasn't worth trying to hunt up our waitress who'd once again vanished, and left.

The couple who had paid with a credit card had the unpleasant surprise of discovering several days later that the wait staff had added another $10 to the bill as a tip, after they'd signed charge slip and left! Some 4-6 phone calls later, the charge was removed, but considering it came on top of what was some of the worst service any of us had received EVER, it was all the more egregious.

To clarify the restaurant: it's a small bar/supper club, with no more than 15 tables. When we were there, there were at least 4 waitresses on staff, plus bartenders and a hostess. All the employees lounged around the bar, chatting loudly during the entirety of our meal with the exception of our waitress, who kept disappearing.

The only reason I give it a 2 is the food was excellent. The chef deserves better than the front of the house is giving him - it made me sad we couldn't tip HIM (or her) and stiff the waitress. Of course, we had planned to leave a meager tip for the waitress due to the wretched service, but she didn't mind as she just helped herself to both our change and our charge card after we'd left.

Wegner's might be a good place for take-out, if you don't mind watching/listening to 5-6 waitresses discuss their plans for the weekend and what movie they saw last Thursday for 10-15 minutes before getting your chow. Me, I'd stay away.

1  Thank wizard395
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 5, 2007

The original Friday Night Fish Fry.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook