“good irish restaurant”

The Monarch Public House
Cuisines: American, Irish, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the Mississippi River, at the foot of Eagle Bluff, the tallest point on the river. Wisconsin's oldest operating tavern and original to 1894, also features The Absolute Rock Bottom Pub and is home to the 1860's recipes of The Fountain City Brewing Co. 15 Foot pressed tin ceilings, hardwood floors and hand carved back bar, tables, etc. Soon to be listed on the National Historic Register.
Reviewed May 4, 2013

great food loved the champ aware of gluten free diet visited 05/13 interesting décor would recommend this place anyone in the area

LookinAllOver, General Manager at The Monarch Public House, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

My great Grandma, whose recipe we use for the Champ, would be happy to hear your compliment. Thank you so much. We will look forward to seeing you again some time!

There are newer reviews for The Monarch Public House

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have ordered many dishes off the menu and they are really close to what I have had in Ireland. My husband loves it there because they know how to pour a Guinness... which is a true talent! If you are not up for Irish fare, try the pizza!

Now that is a nice compliment! Thank you so much. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We enjoyed the local bar and grill. All the food was very good and the small town service was as expected, wonderfully friendly yet a little inattentive for those used to "big city" speed and attention.

Our table had fish and chips and the bistro chicken sandwich. They do not use any grease, which we liked. The fish was great, so was the chicken, the buns, and the sweet potato fries. We all tried the "bistro sauce" with mixed opinions - a sauerkraut base is not for everyone!

Just a quick note to thank you for your review and nice comments. Glad you enjoyed our place.
One thing...the Bistro Sauce does not have a sauerkraut base, none in fact.
We hope to see you again one day and until then, safe travels!

Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was my first experience in the Monarch and I cant explain how wonderful it was. When you walk in, the atmosphere is incredible! Very well restored old building with lots to look at and so much history. I had the Reuben, and I will tell you, its the BEST I have ever had...EVER!!! My friends all ordered something different (which I dont remember), but they ate every last scrap! The service was superb! My waitress was this pretty younger blonde that knew so much about the history of the place, and had stories such stories of the place which made the experience that much better. She was very attentive and a delight to have wait on us. They have their own beer as well. I had the original Fountain Brew, a recipe of their own dating way back, and it was darn good! Overall, I would rate my overall experience a 10/10! Great service, excellent food, good cold beer, and a great atmosphere to sit, enjoy, and relax! TRY IT OT, you wont regret it!

One of the nicest and most exciting reviews we have ever had. We are deeply appreciative of your thoughtfulness in posting this. Thank you and glad you enjoyed your visit!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

great pizza and beer selection in a well maintained and clean pub atmosphere...staff is pleasant and inviting and welcomes you even if you from out of town (as we were). the restoration is stunning and is quite a pleasant place to enjoy a meal...we stop by every time we visit fountain city...

My apologies for taking so long to thank you for your complimentary review. We have enjoyed your company and look forward to seeing you again soon.