“great pub”

The Monarch Public House
Cuisines: American, Irish, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: An 1894 tavern and restaurant with original bar, back bar and furnishings. Ongoing restoration and expansion since 1995 has brought the glory and beauty of this historic building and business. The Menu celebrates the owner's Irish ancestry and family recipes, complimented with an assortment of craft brews from the 1856 Fountain City Brewing Company. A family oriented friendly service that adheres to the true Irish Pub atmosphere.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

great pizza and beer selection in a well maintained and clean pub atmosphere...staff is pleasant and inviting and welcomes you even if you from out of town (as we were). the restoration is stunning and is quite a pleasant place to enjoy a meal...we stop by every time we visit fountain city...

LookinAllOver, General Manager at The Monarch Public House, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

My apologies for taking so long to thank you for your complimentary review. We have enjoyed your company and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I had dinner here on a Saturday evening. We thoroughly enjoyed our time. The place has been restored and has many authenic, original items, including the bar, woodwork, and tin tile ceilings. The menu has a wide range of choices, including authenic Irish food. We chose the Bangers and Mash - which was excellent. The service was great. A highlight was when the owner stopped by to check on our meal and service. He took time to answer our questions about the building and menu and shared delightful information on history of the building and the multi-generational family recipes. We greatly enjoyed our meal, the conversation, and service. I highly recommend stopping here.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stopped here for Sunday dinner with a couple of friends. They had been there before and the owner greeted them like family. The pub & restaurant have lots of cool items to look at while you are waiting for your food. The service was great and the food was authenticly Irish and very delicious!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I'm not Irish, but on a chilly fall day, while passing through on a fall color drive, we had the good fortune to stop by the Monarch for lunch. My wife and I both decided on the banger and charm vegetable pot pie special, after the owner, our waiter John, cheerfully checked to make sure it was gluten free. When we each ordered water with our meal, John playfully chided us with "You know you're in a pub." I soon ordered a pint of Guinness with no regrets. Our simple meal was delicious, filling and satisfying. The hint of nutmeg in the bangers was unexpected and savory. The pub was cozy and huge, not an easy trick to pull off, but you'll have to see it to believe it, and comfortably warm on a chilly day. I wished we lived nearby to experience their whole menu. I know we'll find our way back someday.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I love taking the winding road along the Mississippi that passes through Fountain City with its growing number of quaint eateries and taverns. Monarch has a great BIg atmosphere, including outdoor seating with a great view of the river. Features 4 home brews by the pint, and unique irish specialties....as well as burgers and standard bar fair. Prices tend to be on the high side.