“Clean and quiet”

Holiday Inn Express Fort Atkinson
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fort Atkinson
Reviewed August 28, 2010

This Holiday Inn Express was a pleasant place to stay, it was clean and up to date, the bed was very comfortable and the location was good. The complimentary breakfast was was nice.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 14, 2009

I would recommend this hotel over any other hotel in the Fort Atkinson area. We stayed at two different hotels for our past trip to Fort Atkinson and they couldn't be any different. Spend the extra money and stay here. From the moment you walk into the hotel; you feel welcomed. The front desk is extremely friendly. The rooms were also extremely nice and comfortable. The bedding is just fantastic. The free breakfast in the morning is WOW! Eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, etc...
Overall a great experience and I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Fort Atkinson area.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank JanGirl
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Never stayed at a Holiday Inn express before but expected more from the advertising on TV. When I checked in, the clerk told me that the quickest way to my room was to go through the lobby and upstairs. Funny thing is that I had to go all the way to the end of the hallway right next to the end entrance. A real turn off was the cheesy card in the bathroom telling you how much each towel, etc costs and that if the maid decides that her count is off, you'll get charged because "we assume you read this card and agree to be charged" for missing items ? The cable TV left a bit to be desired with wavy interference on HBO. Breakfast in the morning was a real joke with fake rubbery eggs, nasty sausage, tiny muffins and watery juice. I decided to play it safe and eat a bagel, yogurt, carton of milk, and a banana. There was a spot for cinnamon rolls but it was empty, and there was no nice hot breakfast buffet like the commercials would lead you to believe from television. It was gross pre-prepared fake food that looked like it was rewarmed over several times from days before. The game room had 3 or 4 car driving games from the early 1980's that no child in the world would want to play. The game room was a joke. The pool and hot tub had scummy residue on the sides.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2008

I recently had two stays here.

What I liked: The free high-speed internet, very easy to connect to and quicker than the high-speed I've used at other hotels. Only complaint I have is that they had no instructions for those who might not be used to connecting to high-speed at a hotel. Plenty of lighting and places to put stuff. Great shower pressure (I'm picky like that) and some of the most comfortable pillows I've ever had at a hotel.

What I disliked during both stays: Front desk staff not especially friendly. Neither time I was there was I told about the breakfast - I only found this out at a meeting during my second stay. Rooms were not filthy, but not very clean. For example, my white socks were yellowed on the bottom at the end of each day - needless to say, no going barefoot there. Air circulation wreaked havoc on my sinuses.

My first stay was on the 2nd floor. You could literally hear and FEEL people walking around in other rooms and the hall (think of an old house with creaky floor boards). The heat was completely turned off and it took a couple of hours to even feel somewhat warm (temps were barely above 20 during this stay). My second stay was on the 1st floor. I heard the creaky floors above me only once. Window would not lock and screen looked as if someone had tried to pry it away. Kind of creepy. Twice I had to get my key cards redone because they wouldn't work.

As with any hotel it had its ups and downs, but I probably would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2008

I admit that I wasn't expecting much; I'm a Marriott kind of guy. The room itself was good sized and had a couch and a couple of chairs; that was the biggest surprise was that the room came with a small sitting area. I've come to really appreciate those.

The front desk staff was pleasant and check-in was a snap. I used the holiday inn website and their express type reservation, so everything was printed up and ready when I got there.

Complimentary breakfast was of average quality, but I am not used to their any warm food options.

The only concern was an elevator that was slow, bumpy, and sounded like it had seen better days.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Stayed here for a wedding and found the staff friendly and the rooms clean and fresh. The lounge area had nice decor--we brought our Subway dinner back to eat there and watch the olympics.

Breakfast was exactly right--hot food, cold food, lots of options, everything well stocked, never messy. I didn't feel rushed or crowded--good experience.

Teeny, tiny workout room--smaller than a guest room! Not for the claustrophobic!

Not a lot of food options in the immediate area--a Subway and a Pizza Hut. This may explain why there were so many pizza and sandwich delivery menus in the room.

I wouldn't recommend this as a destination spot--it seemed that everyone in the hotel was there for an event which makes much more sense. If you are looking at a getaway--drive to Madison, But if you HAVE to stay near Fort, then this is a really good bet. I'd stay here again in the same situation.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I stayed at this hotel on my rehearsal and wedding night from June 22nd to June 24th. Check-in was great on that Friday. Staff working was super nice! She had the most adorable puppy that she had behind the counter in the lobby (great hotel cause you could have pets!) and she let us pet it for a while and talked to us quite a bit.

Our room was very spacious (we did go with the suite). It had a couch in it, a coffee table, a mini fridge, lots of floor space and a decent bathroom. The king size bed was fine and we really didn't spend much time in the room. It was clean and comfortable.

We didn't have time to use the pool but it looked decent. Complimentary breakfast consisted of hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cereal, bagels, coffee, juice ,breakfast sandwiches, pastries, etc. It wasn't nothing extravegant but it's nice that they didn't just offer donuts like a lot of other hotels do. The breakfast area was a great place to get together with our guests the morning after the wedding, as well.

Check-out was fine too. The only complaint I have is that I wished they would have offered cheaper rooms for all of our guests staying there for the wedding and even a cheaper room for ourselves. The price seemed very expensive but since there isn't many hotel options in the Fort Atkinson area, we had to go with it and so did our guests.

This is a very clean and friendly hotel and would recommend it to anyone, especially since they allow pets...

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Johnson Creek
Riverwalk Inn & Suites
Riverwalk Inn & Suites
#4 of 4 in Fort Atkinson

Been to Holiday Inn Express Fort Atkinson? Share your experiences!