“Hectic lobby, pretty surroundings, helpful staff, expensive!”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Six of us recently went to the Abbey to celebrate a friend's 60th birthday. We arrived on Fri. afternoon & were checked in quickly but getting valet parked took a long time. Our small but clean room was $179 + a $12 "resort fee" per day. Also the hotel is not the most accessible. One of our friends has difficulty walking and she had to use a wheel chair to negotiate the long halls. Also, you can't park by a side door to get closer to the room. However, the bell staff were the salt of the earth. They escorted our friend while in the chair and while she tried walking the halls. (Of course we were tipping them but that doesn't mean that people rendering service have to be nice. They were genuinely helpful and friendly about it.)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lgreene324
Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed August 31, 2010

I pay half the price at a local spa for a full sixty minutes. No soothing music or nice scents.
The rooms have a patio glass door, would be nice to open but no screen.
Restaurant food was good.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Keekeechicagoil
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This is my opinion of the Abbey. I am very fair person who gives people and places the benefit of the doubt so you can take this review for what it is worth. We had stayed at the Grand Geneva about 3 years ago and it was a great place. We thought since the Abbey had a greater amount of positive reviews than the Grand Geneva we would giveit a try. We went to the Abbey for a relaxing weekend away and that just didn't happen. We got to the hotel Friday afternoon, check-in wasn't until I believe 4 p.m. however they gave us a room immediately. The front desk staff were nice and very polite. The rooms are nice however I don't believe they are worth what they charge. The walls are very thin and if your on a bottom floor you can hear the people in the room above you walking and you can also hear your neighbors next to you. The room was clean but a little small. After check-in we went to the Waterfront for lunch and the food was very good, nothing fancy, it's a nice casual place to sit and have a salad or sandwich and the service was fair. Then Friday night came and the fun began. About 2:30 in the morning my boyfriend and I were sound asleep and were awakened by our "wonderful" neighbors next door. Five grown men staying in one room. They were drunk and screaming profanities and just being overall obnoxious. We ended up calling down to the front desk and they sent up security. It got quiet for about 10 minutes then they started pounding on the wall screaming profanities to us telling us to wake up. I can't write exactly what they said because the post will probably get deleted if I do but let's just say it was very vulger. We ended up calling back downstairs insisting that they move us, the woman at the front desk could actually hear the people next door through the phone. She sent security up to our room and he stayed with us until they found us a new room in a new building. So here we are at 3:00 a.m. packing our suitcases waiting for another room. We ended up being moved and the whole ordeal took about 45 minutes. Now as I said before I am a fair person and do give the benefit of the doubt and I will say that the front desk was very kind and did work quickly to get our room changed and Ryan from security was also very nice and helpful. I do give my gratitude to the staff at the hotel. Saturday we went to the pool and there were people at 9 a.m. walking in with beer and by noon these people were completely tanked. My opinion is that this hotel could have potential, however with the type of people that are staying there and the hotel allowing these horrible activities to go on it is really giving them a bad name. They charge a lot of money for a room and the type of people that are there are white trash. Why they would let five grown men share a room that has two beds is beyond me. Now don't get me wrong I don't want to generalize and say that everyone there was white trash but I would say the majority was. I mean I don't think anyone would want to pay over $200 a night for a room and when you sit on your patio you see a set of parents with two kids under the age of five heading to the pool drinking, smoking a cigarette and falling down because they are so bombed and it's 8:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning. It seems to me that they are more concerned about full occupancy as opposed to the quality of people that are staying there. The pool area could use a lot of work. The chairs are old and they do not have enough of them. We were lucky because we got there early but if you showed up after noon you were pretty much out of luck. They market this hotel as family friendly and even have a kids pool, however I would not recommend this for classy adults let alone a child.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jhayes75
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Reserved two rooms for a family wedding their August 13th. Although the hotel guarantees check in at 4:00 p.m. one room was available at 12:30. The other was not available until exactly 4:00 p.m. even though we watched at least 20 people get room keys between 12:30 and 4:00. One member of our group walked in without a reservation, asked for a room at 1:00 p.m. and was given keys immediately. Very frustrating. The first room smelled of cigarette smoke, toilet flushing was "challenging". Next time we'll go back to the Grand Geneva.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LadyLovesToTravel
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Did not get the "pool view" room we requested. Our room had a nasty smell. My bedspread had a blood stain on it and the other bed had stains on the sheets. Denfinately not worth the price they charge. There were no pool towels at the pool and asked them to bring some to us. They never arrived and we were there for 3 hours! The food in the restaurants was also over priced and not that good. The best thing about it is the location and the fact that they have a kids pool seperate from the adult pool. Really needs to be updated and refreshed(not just painting over the old stuff).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank painguina
Reviewed August 6, 2010

My friends and I took our annual summer getaway to the Abbey. The room was decent, but not worth the $250 a night. The adult only pool did not have any chairs left for us to sunbathe on so we had to sit on the concrete. We ate at the Fontana Grill and my friend found a stick in her wrap. I was given a BBQ sandwich with no BBQ sauce. We did appreciate that my friend's wrap was deducted from our bill.
Also, we were not allowed to bring our cooler with non glass items into the pool area or even outside of the fence by the pool area. We thought this was a strange new rule.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anton1979
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We brought our boat, and 8 members of our family to the Abbey with 2 Harborview Rooms. The king bed was very comforate, room was nice, and the overall property was amazing! We only stayed 2 days, but could easily find enough to do for a week. The staff was very friendly, the restaurants were nice, and the dock services for our boat were very nice.

Great property!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank sbuergey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#6 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Inns Of Geneva National
Inns Of Geneva National
#7 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!