“Great place to relax”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Reviewed May 22, 2007

Our room was very nice. You could tell it was an old resort (seemed to be 70's architecture), but had been updated to modern tastes. The furniture and decor was very nice and stylish (not typical tacky hotel grade furniture). All the buildings I saw at the resort are 2 story so I suggest trying to get a 2nd story room because ours had a cathedral ceiling, which isn't possible on the 1st floor.

We were only there for one night as an anniversary treat. We spent one day at the spa, which I thought was very nice. Honestly, I've never been to a spa (but my wife has been to many). I thought the atmosphere was extremely relaxing and the service was great (hotel staff were everywhere you looked if you were ever in need of help). I got a fantastic men's facial and my wife got a massage. My wife, who is experienced with spas, agreed with me that this was an excellent one.

We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurants. For dinner we ate at the more casual of the 2 dinner restaurants The Fontana Grill because there seemed to be more choices on the menu. They happened to have a prime rib special that night that was excellent and at a great price. Our dinner came before our salads, but when we alerted our waitress they were brought out immediately and she told us the round of drinks we just ordered would be on the house.

We ate breakfast at The Waterfront bar/restaurant. Actually, the interior of the restaurant was being renovated when we were there so they had tables set up out in the hall/lobby outside the restaurant (outside seating was also available, but it was too chilly that morning). The food and service was very good at breakfast as well.

Overall this was a nice relaxing anniversary getaway. No complaints.

• Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank gogolion
Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed March 31, 2007

The resort is absolutely beautiful! The rooms are very comfortable- great flat screen tv with lots of channels. Shower was wonderful and everything was perfectly clean. Loved the soap and shampoo. The views are beautiful, the food was tasty and loved the chocolate from the sweet shop. Will definatly go again as soon as I get the chance.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank Eener79
Reviewed January 20, 2007

I'm a female who book a massage in the resort, and when i get to the SPA massage place, i need to pay extra $15.00 for the entrance fee, so i pay that (which was not mentioned when i booked the massage that there is an extra 15.00 entrance fee). then a guy came and said to me, your massage room is ready, and he is also the one who will massage me!!! the operator did not ask me whether i want a male of female masseus!!! before they make my reservation!!! I was so mad, because i expect it is female that will do the massage. when i complain to the front desk, the funny thing she ask is what is wrong about male? this kind of question should never ask... , it is people preference and choice!!!

NOT well trained staff!!!

• Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank ssze
Reviewed December 22, 2006

The building was nice, however the staff was rude and slow. They checked us into a handicapped room. (We are not handicapped). We ate at the Fontana Grill. The service was very slow, considering it was only 10 guest there with 3 waitresses. The food totally sucked. Carmichael's in Chicago,IL puts this place to shame. I guess they were doing us a favor by showing up for work. If you don't want to wait on someone don't become a waitress. Please don't waste your money or time going to this place. Go to the Grand Geneva Resort in Lake Geneva, WI.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mschell323
Reviewed November 25, 2006

I can not believe what they have done to the Abbey! We finally were able to stay and see for ourselves. Our friends have been telling us, but until you stay yourself its hard to believe.
The rooms are upscale for the price. The rehab was well thought out and the outcome incredible. We were impressed with every aspect of the resort!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank Hawk1216
Reviewed November 24, 2006

This hotel was average at best. The service was fair, the food also fair. The staff was averagely average. In fact everything about the resort was "average"... Except for the spa which was below average and a joke and too expensive. Fist off, you were forced to pay a $15 fee + your service fees (which were already about 30% more than any other spa that I've been to). The spa was unkempt, tired looking, and the decor looked like it was from 1975. The scarey thing is that they say it was "recently rennovated" which if that is really the case, is very sad. It was overpriced and underwhelming...

The worst part of it was when I complained to the nite manager he could have cared less abou what I was saying... No token of reimbursement even offered.

Bad service, below average accomodations and high prices. Forget it. Stay at the Grand Geneva.

Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank Gerrits
Reviewed October 9, 2006

Well I took my girlfriend here as a surprise for her 30th birthday, and yes it is a wedding factory we had 3 in 2 days, but we hardly noticed them after the lawn cerimonies ( my girl just watched to see the dress'). and it was kind of nice. the Place is so big you hardly notice all the extra people around

I do recommend upgrading to a harbour view room, just nicer to sit on your patio and see the lake side rather then "resort views" of dark wooden structers. the rooms are very nice inside. the whole place has a "cruise ship " feel to it which I thought was nice. clean and bright with nice bathrooms. the bed itself was great , the pillows could use an upgrade (I recommed you bring your own)

The restaurants were great we ate at all 3 (being in the restaurant biz I had to check them all out and critique them) the porto is the most expensive at the top of the a frame building, the decoration and feel here was a little midevilish and gothic and a bit stuffy for my tastes,but different the staff was great there. and the food was very good . although the menu is a bit limited. portions were a bit smaller then I would prefer. great desserts. the other main dining option was the fontana grill which I thought was outstanding same great staff a tad less pricey and less formal (this where I will eat exclusivly next time) we also had snack and drinks at the waterfront a couple of times more great staff and fun to come back for live music at night.

We did have a spa package and I was very happy with the spa and all the services my girlfriend got were great, I just wish they had a flat screen in the mens spa there is nothing better then sitting in a hot tub and watching football, and maybe a cocktail service? but I enjoyed it while my girlfriend was getting all her treatments. then meeting in the coed pool and spa afterwards is nice. again more professional staff.

If your coming to stay here I recommend you take a half-day and drive to the other side of the lake to the city of lake geneva , great shops, lake front diners and you can take the guided lake tour.

All in all We had a great time at the resort, I dont know if it was because I bought every upgrade and option they had but every one was great that I dealt with ,from valet to concierge, spa folks, everyone. would highly recommend if you have a few extra bucks ( I spent about $1100.00 in 2 days for two people) will go back again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank The33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#6 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Inns Of Geneva National
Inns Of Geneva National
#7 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!