“Perfect Girls Weekend”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Reviewed February 23, 2010

My sister, best friend and I had the absolute pleasure of visiting the Abbey Resort and Fontana Spa. We are all from suburbs of Chicago and decided to go up to Fontana/Lake Geneva for the weekend. It was a very relaxing trip.
We arrived early-ish Saturday morning. I had called to request an early check in, they made no guarantees, but when we arrived around 10 am our room was ready. Check in was a breeze. The front desk and bell staff was very friendly.
We paid for the resort views room and we got resort views, none of which are bad. We had a patio that opened to a deck area that is connected to all of the other rooms.
The beds were great and the linens we also very nice. The room was clean, it had a small microwave and mini fridge. It was perfect for our needs.
The spa was fantastic. We all got pedicures. The pricing was comparable to what we would pay near our homes for a spa pedicure. The technicians were all very friendly and I felt as ease having them work on my feet.
We ate lunch at The Waterfront. It was really great. We each had different drinks - all of which were good.
We also used the swimming pool and spa. This was great. There were pool toys and a basketball hoop. It was very fun.
We ate dinner at the Fontana Grill. Two of us got the famous prime rib buffet which was fantastic. The other ordered off the menu. The waitress let that person still use the salad and dessert portion of the meal which was really nice.
There is a large gift store on the property that carries a lot of things. We only purchased a cheap wine bottle opener, it was about the same as our local liquor store so we didn't feel ripped off.
Overall the trip was great. Very relaxing.

The few cons I have were:
The bathroom light automatically turned on the vent fan which was pretty loud.
The skating rink although closed and unusable was much small than I thought it would be.
By 2:30 the free shuttles were done running for the day.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank mat342
Write a ReviewReviews (1,149)

Reviewed February 16, 2010

The one positive about this place is the spa, which was very well run, clean, and it was a pretty good deal that with just one booked service you can utilize all of the spa facilities (pool, sauna, steam room, whirlpool, showers afterward, etc). If you are planning on staying here and using the spa, make sure you go early or plan to stay after your appointments to enjoy the amenities. In fact, don't bother with the hotel's pool/hot tub as it is overrun with people (particularly families with kids). Just use the spa's facilities if you can.
The hotel itself is mediocre at best. The walls are VERY THIN, so don't plan on getting any sleep if the people next door even have their TV at a low volume. We could hear every single conversation happening next door.
Also the food at the hotel is terrible from our experience - we ate dinner at the waterfront restaurant and the service was horrible. The restaurant (in fact, the entire hotel) seems to be run by high school kids, and the service reflects it. It was half-empty but they couldn't seat us for 30 minutes because they couldn't keep up on food orders. This was apparent when we didn't get half of our order - which we ended up canceling because we were just tired of being there. Ordered room service the next morning and it was a soggy, cold omelet, again delivered by someone under age 18 who forgot half the order.

So if you do stay here, keep in mind that you get what you pay for - the spa is nice, but the hotel wasn't really what we thought it would be. If you can drive, go to one of the nicer restaurants in Lake Geneva.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2010

For the past two years I have been a regular guest at The Abbey Resort in the winter and summer. Those who know me well are aware that I have adopted The Abbey Resort as my home away from home. A warm and gracious welcome, wonderful amenities, outstanding food and first class service make this resort my first choice for a get away weekend, no matter the season.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2010

What a great place to stay in the middle of winter. Many activities were scheduled including ice skating! We were greeted by very friendly and happy valets! We enjoying reading about the history of the hotel with it's many special guests. Although we had a very short visit, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We have not stayed at the Abbey Resort in over 15 years. We came home for the Holidays and decided to stay more in a resort rather than a hotel in Beloit. We were so happy with our accommodations...we drove from Little Rock Arkansas and arrived around noonish on Thanksgiving day and were able to get checked into our room immediately. The front desk staff was very friendly and courteous. The room was completely re-modeled from what we remembered. It was colorful, comfortable and clean...slept as good as if I were in my own bed. We had Thanksgiving dinner at the Abbey and it was ABSOULUTELY delicious...the wait staff could have been a little more attentive...we had to clear our buffet dishes from our own table, had to hunt down the waitress to get water, coffee and our bill...this could have been handled much better. Our overall stay was fabulous...the Christimas decorations were beautiful and we will definately be back. Thanks for the memories.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2009

My sister & I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful resort. The AVANI spa is awesome! We hit the spa everyday and were treated royally by the employees. They couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating. We ate at the Fontana Grill one night - fabulous food and waitstaff. Although the room was smaller than we had anticipated, it was clean, comfortable and we had a beautiful view of the harbor. Only complaint was the last morning. We ordered breakfast and hadn't finished eating when we had to leave for our spa appointment. We put up the "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door and left for the spa. When we returned, all the food had been removed from our room. After talking to the manager of room service, they did send up replacement food. They acted quickly, but we still were uncomfortable with the fact that we had the sign up on the door and someone from the hotel staff entered our room.

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I need to start with the good things. The area is beautiful and the resort is too. Breakfast was also good and the rooms were comfortable. I liked the microwave in the room, but the fridge was a wine fridge and didn't offer very much room for bottles or left over food boxes. Now for the negitive. Customer service was Very poor. They didn't seem very happy at check in. We reserved the bed and breakfast but didn't receive the breakfast credit coupon until I asked for it the next day. Also after accidently locking myself out of my room staff were rude when I needed help, it took an hour for someone to unlock my door and the maids were not allowed to call the desk for help or let someone use a phone in the room they were cleaning. There were no phones in the hallway to seek help. You had to walk 6 buildings to get help from the front desk. Not very handicapped accessible either. I had a stroller there were stairs everywhere.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank bj5343
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#6 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Harbor Shores on Lake Geneva
Harbor Shores on Lake Geneva
#8 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!