“Great facility and spa”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
austin texas
“Great facility and spa”
Reviewed September 30, 2009

First, our background: 2 friends who travel alot, two who don't. The two who do hit 3 and 4 star hotels and resorts.
First: Location: The Abbey is on the quiet side of the lake which, in the summer is a great plus--Lake Geneva proper is too busy. Fontana is smaller, and the Abbey has everything.
The Facility: top notch, and great if you have kids or not--there are two sets of indoor and outdoor pools- family pools and adult pools. The indoor adult pool is connected to the spa, which is tops. Our group had two pedicures and two massages. Key stuff: Ask for Sandy for a massage--she gave one of the best massages my friend has ever had--it was worth it to see my friend looking so blissed out--she's had the best of the best, and Sandy "gave her the best massage she has ever had"--no easy feat. Our other friend had a massage and she was thrilled as well, although I do not remember her massage persons name--I think it was a guy...
The pedicures: ask for Kim: she gives an excellent foot massage. Both pedicures were
good, but Kim's massage pushed her's into the great category. Good selection of magazines, and nail colors were current.
Hot tubs were seriously jetted as well.
Restaurant: We had breakfast, and everything was above average, and FRESH. No soggy berries, berries served in heavy cream if you wanted..no gooey eggs..great coffee
Bar area: great drinks, and a great band--the only drawback is that the dance floor has the tables right there, so you feel as if you are on display. They would do well to figure out a way for people cut loose without being self conscious.
Beds: I am picky. My friends are picky. We all loved them. I swear they iron the sheets.
Microwave and minifridge in the room. Bathroom nice enough, with coffee maker. Tv is a flat screen.
To do: We rented a boat with a driver at Gordy's for 175.00 an hour. We had a lovely trip around the lake. Well worth it because the houses there are gorgeous. You can also walk around the lake on a walking path on the shore-- a 26 mile hike , or as short as you want. Last year I did it with my husband in October--and it was stunning with the colors. From the Abbey, head towards chucks and Gordy's, go past it (or stop and fortify yourself) and head toward the houses on your left--you'll see a path. Ask if you don't. Everyone is friendly and helpful. It's the Wisconsin way.
We also walked over to Chucks for a drink-- a great little pub and a great place to watch a football game --great service, great bar (even have Tito's vodka, which we are fans of) .
Chucks is like Cheers --you go in and make friends. They have decent pub food as well. We also recomend Gordy's restaurant next door to Chucks--actually ate there twice--the Walleye was cooked to perfection, as were the green beans and rice--not canned, not soggy, very fresh. Filet Mignon the second time around was good--but nothing can touch the Walleye. Service was excellent, too.
We also went out and explored--there is a farm..farm...stand is an understatement, but--a farm stand that is great for everything--huge pumpkins, corn maze, lovely lovely place--called Pearces Family farm 5 minutes from the Abbey. Ask for directions. The area around the Abbey is gorgeous--rolling farmland, beautiful barns, historical houses. check out Yerkes Observatory (tours on Saturday-check with the front desk--and you can arrange star parties there).
Of the group, one of us lives in Texas (me)--and my husband and I like to see the fall colors--what was easy about this from Texas (Austin) was the flight (American is direct into O'hare) and starting in November, Southwest starts flying into Milwaukee--even easier, and Milwaukee is a great town to explore as well. If you have never seen Lake Michigan, it's gorgeous. Great museums as well, an hour 1/2 away, tops.
This is an easy getaway trip. The Abbey was quiet (we stayed on Monday as well) but it seems to me that with some marketing , they could have groups there in the fall enjoying the cool weather and the colors. the staff is fine--just sort of not there out mingling with the guests--and to me, this was my second trip--I want them to give that personal touch--and offer up adventures in the area, like the Pearce Farm (Farm is the new black, as we all know--and God bless the Farmers who feed us--and the Pearces place--is something to be proud of...just inspiring...Makes you proud to be a midwesterner, and thankful there are farmers like them to feed us all...
In Lake Geneva there are several good restaurants--Sopra, Red Geranium, Gino's (the Pizza chain)and probably more...
Saw LOTS of cyclists--may have been an event, but don't know for sure--so keep an eye out for them...
The concierge did help me set up the boat, etc, but, again, it was because I knew to ask--and I think it would a good idea if when you are checking in that someone introduced themselves--at least during the quieter months. I would even work out a deal with Gordy's for a sunset trip on thursdays, or one of the quieter nights--more connection to the surroundings.

Anyhow, I will go back, because I know how it works up there. it's an easy plug in for us. I will take my kids one summer (there is a sailing camp on the lake as well) and have them enjoy the pools, the farm, the lake, (there is a water ski lessonoption at Gordy's as well,)etc...

While most folks flock to New England for colors--which is unbeatable--I have to say that for accessability and beauty, the Lake Geneva/Fontana area is a close second, air travel being what it is today, and people from Wisconsin are some of the best in the world.

The Abbey needs like, a figurehead, a person or personality that greets you and makes you feel like you are home, and will be doted on.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Chicagoland
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Brought a group of thirty Senior Citizens to The Abbey in Fontana, WI on a little one-night/two day getaway to the Lake Geneva, WI, area on September 18, 2009. This resort hotel is beautiful, the grounds and gardens are spectacular, but unfortunately the Customer Service at this property is sadly lacking and many of the employees are badly in need of re-training. When we arrived at 4:00 p.m., there were FOUR young ladies at the front desk . . . not one of them knew anything about anyone coming out to greet the group on the bus, not one even knew a bus tour was coming in, no one knew anything about our room keys, and they stood around looking at each other, not knowing what to do next. I then asked for someone from the Sales Department, and after waiting probably six or seven minutes, I was told that the Sales Department person was in, but she was too busy with something else at that time to see me. After nearly ten minutes, someone came out with most of our room keys, and advised me that five or six of our rooms weren't even ready yet, even though it was now after their 4:00 check-in time. Knowing that we had only a little more than an hour to freshen up before we were scheduled to leave for the dinner cruise in Lake Geneva, there seemed to be as little communication with the bellmen as there was with the front desk and Sales Department people, since two racks loaded with our luggage were still sitting in the front lobby more than twenty minutes after we arrived. The bellmen on duty didn't seem to have the time to get our luggage up to our rooms, but rather catered to the individual guests arriving by car. I and several of our guests had to take our own luggage to our rooms despite the fact that we had paid for baggage handling. I was told there were two weddings at the property that day, and it was very obvious to my guests and me that the weddings guests were shown a lot more attention and priority service than our motorcoach tour. We had sleeping rooms only at this property this time - no other meals or activities were scheduled there on this tour. Which was probably a good thing, because after one of the worst check-ins I've ever experienced at a hotel in nearly 30 years in the tour business, I'm not so sure the sales staff at this property would have been able to coordinate a group meal without more problems. The rooms are lovely, though small, and I'd give the housekeeping a "B-" . . . there were cobwebs hanging from the beams over my bed, the headboards were dusty, and the bathroom floor hadn't been washed. The accounting department also screwed up my final billing, initially overcharging me for our visit, but adjusted the charges after I brought that to their attention. From the day I first set this trip up to the day we arrived, I had dealt with probably four or five different people in the Sales Department, and it became painfully obvious that there is little, if any, communication among the sales staff, the front desk, the bellmen. If I were the General Manager of The Abbey Resort, I would gather every one of my employees and teach them what customer service is all about. Again, this is a beautiful property, but our visit would have been so much more pleasant if the staff were more efficient, more pleasant, and more professional in dealing with ALL their guests.

• Stayed September 2009
3 Thank mytourop81
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We checked in 2 hours early on September 6, 2009 at approximately 2:00 p.m. We were visiting the resort to attend a wedding at 4:30 p.m. on Sept. 6. My husband and I left the resort at 8 a.m. on September 7, 2009 and asked my mother-in-law, to handle our check-out. When she went to check us out, the staff member at the front desk informed her there was a $60 charge from the restaurant to our room. My MIL called me to see if we used the restaurant, to which I responded "no." My MIL informed the staff member that there must be a mistake because we did not go to the restaurant. The staff member replied that it was not a mistake and that we had signed the receipt. She then proceeded to show my MIL the signed receipt. It was signed with a name other than ours, but had our room number. My MIL told the staff member that the signature was not either of our names. Instead of looking into this further and being courteous, the staff member matter of factly told her, "Well, they must have forged someone else's name." It was unbelievable. My MIL asked to see the receipt again, then noted that it was a charge made at 11:30 A.M. on September 6, 2009 and we did not check in until that afternoon. Your staff member replied that we had "checked in way early." The lack of customer service was jarring and unbelievable. I was on the phone with my MIL during this whole ordeal and could not believe what I was hearing. Finally, at my MIL's insistence, the staff member looked up the name of the people who had stayed our room the night before, and lo and behold, their names matched the receipt from the resort restaurant. All of the accusations and rudeness by the staff would have easily been avoided with a little inquisition into their records without false accusations. It was very disappointing, because this was our first trip to the Abbey Resort and prior to this altercation, my husband and I said it would be fun to bring our family to the resort for a vacation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Windy_City_Traveler9
Chicago
Reviewed September 6, 2009

I wanted to see the "new" Abbey, so I booked a stay . It was fabulous. The hotel and grounds are the best on Lake Geneva. The rooms are so comfortable and they are first class. Service is top notch. I have stayed at many other hotels in Lake Geneva area and non come close to the new Abbey.

Great service, great food, fantastic drinks and entertainment.

One last thing, and this may not be important to all, but you must see these bathrooms and hugh showers.

I am looking forward to my next stay.

Ben from Illinois

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Illinois
Reviewed September 2, 2009

I encouraged my daughter and son-in-law to spend their wedding night at the Abbey and made the arrangements. I also checked with the front desk the day before the wedding to make sure the gift basket I had made up and my daughter's overnight bag were there. I was assured they were and would be in the reserved room when the newlyweds arrived.

When they arrived on their wedding night and gave the man at the front desk the printout of the reservation, without explanation, he told them he was putting them in a different room. Of course the overnight bag and gift basket weren't in that room and could not be found, so my daughter didn't have any of the things she had brought for her wedding night. The gift basket contained things I knew would be meaningful to them on this special night.

On Sunday morning after my daughter called to tell me what had happened, I contacted the wedding coordinator, who tracked down the overnight bag and gift basket. They were in the room which was originally reserved.

The Monday after the wedding I left a detailed phone message for the general manager to tell him what happened and asked for an explanation. Later that week I left another phone message and then an e-mail. He Never responded.

Yes, my daughter did receive an (almost) full refund, but this is little compensation for a ruined wedding night. There was no explanation, no apology from the general manager, no complementary anything, from this upscale resort, to in some small way make up for what had happened.

The Brides Mom

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IllinoisLaura
illinois
Reviewed August 24, 2009

My sister and I went for a girl’s weekend to get away from the city and boy were we disappointed! We got to our room and there was a musty odor so we opened the door to air out the room. We didn’t stay long as we were going to dinner. When we got returned from being out, the room smelled of raw sewage and the carpet was flooded. I called the front desk and they changed our room but didn’t apologize for the inconvenience but instead said that they wouldn’t charge me for the upgraded room. When we checked out the next day I mentioned the situation to the desk clerk and she never apologized either. I will be renting a condo or staying in Lake Geneva next summer to avoid staying there again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank burke11
Indianapolis
Reviewed August 11, 2009

This was our third trip here and The Abbey has never been better. The restaurants all have much updated menus and good food service. The staff was all very friendly and helpful with any issues we had. The spa was fabulous for us to hang out in since we had rain the whole time we were there. Children are not allowed in the area so that was a plus since this is a nice family getaway destination. The indoor pool was a great place to spend our days. The water aerobics class was great and fitness center very nice and clean. We had great massages as well. With adjoining rooms it was perfect for 4 of us to have plenty of time to catch up. We will return again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
Cove of Lake Geneva
Cove of Lake Geneva
#7 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!