“Thin walls, Bad resturants, slow check-in, Small Rooms”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Reviewed March 13, 2009

This hotel stay was terrible, we checked in for my husbands birthday after waiting forever at the desk. The put us so far from the lobby we had to drive to our room and if we wanted to use the pool we had to drive to that as well-It was November so it was not as though the hotel was filled to capacity, they could have put us somewhere else. our neighbors screamed in there rooms till three in the morning and that only stopped after we alled the front desk. The resturants were crap and we ended up driving to Geneva to eat-in the end we should have just stayed in Geneva-I would not recommend the Abbey to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,147)

Reviewed February 23, 2009

We stayed at The Abbey in Lake Geneva, WI. It was beautiful for a February getaway. The matresses were really comfortable with about 4 inches of foam on top to melt into.

The food and views were also exquisite. We're hoping to go again this Summer so we can enjoy the beauty of Lake Geneva. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet getaway. (They also have a spa. I'm hoping to enjoy this on our next visit.)

Just a word of caution, the hallways are like a maze and it is easy to get lost, but the staff is very helpful and courteous.

Reviewed February 23, 2009

I love this place. Some day I will be married there. It is beautiful and it gives you a complete relaxed feeling from the minute you pull in the driveway. Friendly staff, excellent food and great rooms. I try to go up there at least 3 times a year. Winter, Summer, it doesn't matter. We love the Abbey.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My friend and I wanted a weekend getaway from the hectic city life. So, we decided to head to The Abbey in Lake Geneva. We only paid $106 a night through Orbitz (as opposed to $160 at the other resort, The Grand).

When we arrived, we learned there would be a $12/night 'resort fee' added to our bill. I asked what it was for. They told me "activites, ice machine, valet, and concierge). I made a point to use all the amenities! The activities were scarce (cookie decorating in the kids' playroom and ice-skating which wasn't available due to weather). And the concierge was a joke. She was never at her desk (if you called you'd have to leave a message) and when you could find her, she didn't know about any restaurants in the area or how to get to attractions she herself recommended. She was worthless.

I complained at the front desk about us not getting to USE to concierge we were paying $12/day for, and the girl said "Yeah, tell me about it. She just comes and goes when she pleases. I work here and have to tell guests all the time that she's not around."

When I was checking out, I asked to speak to the manager to complain about how terrible the concierge was and the fact that we were being charged $24 for 'fees' we weren't told about on Orbitz. He stated that the concierge is free and not a part of the fee. I told him the women checking us in told us that was in the resort fee and he stated "well, then that's an issue with our service, not with the fee."

He argued with me but eventually waived the fee. However, today, I see a charge for $13.90 on my credit card from The Abbey that I never signed for (and I didn't use room service or any other services). I just called and had to leave a voicemail with the accounting department.

I will make some nice comments about the resort, as our whole stay was decent overall. Great bathrooms, very nice bellmen and valet services, decent pool (although often over-run with kids), free cider and smores at night and clean facility overall.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2009

After the busy holidays, I wanted to get the family out of the house for a nite and heard the Abbey had a lot to offer for kids ( I have 4 children age 6 and younger, including twin girls). We decided to take the 1.5 hour ride from the Chicago Burbs and rented a 2 bedroom villa. Upon arrival, we were pleasantly greeted, had an easy check in, and went to our villa. The villa had everything as promised and was very clean and in good condition. I highly recommend the villas if you have children. Plenty of space, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and parking right outside the unit. There was also an outdoor pool right outside the unit.

We immediately changed and went to the indoor pool in the main hotel. The kids had a lot of fun and there was plenty of chairs and space for everyone. That is important to me. The pool was a very good size and had a baby pool as well. There was a kids room near the pool that offers additional activities that are supervised. That day there was face painting. We also booked all 4 of our children for the "kids club" that nite. The kids club starts at 6 and goes until 10. The kids are fed dinner, play games, and watch a movie. (there is also a nice arcade room which my oldest boy loved). The staff that took care of the children seemed very attentive and I would definitely trust them again. It is a little pricey at $50 per kid but was still worth it to have 4 free hours.

We took advantage of the free time to have dinner at the Waterfornt Bar and Grill. Had a nice sports bar atmosphere with a lot of TV's (watched the NFL playoffs) and the service was good. The food was ok. We then had drinks in the lounge which was very nice, slightly pricey.

The following morning morning we had brunch in the hotel ( I think it was the Fontana Room?) and it was fantastic. Plenty of room, big buffet, quality food, very reasonably priced for a Sunday brunch. Most of all, the servers were very nice to our children. As a matter of fact, the entire staff was very nice to the kids and the adults as well. They were attentative to our needs and never seemed annoyed with my sometimes boisterous platoon.

Overall, the Abbey offered a clean, quality facility with full service and something for everyone to do. The staff was friendly and helpful. The remodeling of the hotel was well done and certainly needed (I had been there years ago). Yes, I can see where some would say it is a little dated from the lodge feel. But that is exaclty how it was originally built. In the summer, I think the Abbey would be even nicer as the grounds look really nice.

If you want to be on the lake and are traveling with children (or not), and want a nice get away or vacation, the Abbey is a great destination.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank fattman
Reviewed November 6, 2008

Spent my summers in Lake Geneva and knew I wanted to get married there.
My family and I toured the Abbey Resort, Grand Geneva, Lake Lawn and The Ridge.
The Abbey's staff and the upgrades to the hotel made our choice easier. They were geniune about making my wedding day perfect.
My wedding day was just as they promised, perfect in every way.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank susan1005
Reviewed October 28, 2008

I didn't give this a "terrible" rating because (1) the property is very pretty; and (2) they had some cool activities, like a bonfire, for our group. My major complaint is the staff. During my stay, I advised two managers that I was not happy with several things that went wrong. It is now nearing the end of October and no one has followed up with me regarding the problems I had when I stayed in August. From beginning to end, I encountered poorly trained staff. Upon our arrival we were ignored by the valets. They didn't greet us or offer their services (with our bags or valet). At check-in, the clerk was unwilling to put another guest's room on my card that I was presenting to her. (She advised me that later the other guest "would have a problem" and at that time they would call me. I found this incredibly ridiculous, considering I was trying to avoid a problem in the first place.) Ridiculous, but forgivable. I was then informed that the rate for use of the exercise facilities the coordinator had given me was not accurate. Only after I complained to a manager were they were willing to extend that rate. I was advised the dinner location for the next evening was double booked and they had to move us. They had booked a party of 200 and (ooops!) forgot to mention it until the day we arrived. It was even suggested that we share the space with them! Then I was informed that the location for our dinner that evening had no air conditioning and they offered to move us. Hey, not their fault, right? But then the next day we found out they had made our kayaking reservations for the wrong time. The next night they released children from the daycare to other children in our group without parental consent, they forgot to cancel our AV equipment order, and our breakfast buffet was 20 minutes late. That said, this place really did a great job with renovations. The property is immaculately kept and we really enjoyed the bonfire we had one night. I truly believe that with a better trained staff that this could be a great resort.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank I_Love_Traveling_26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#7 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Inns Of Geneva National
Inns Of Geneva National
#6 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!