“room for improvement”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our room was ok....except for the ceiling stain that kept crumbling on to air vent blowing it around. I hope that it is nothing dangerous. Bathroom fan crazy loud, and lights stay on in courtyard all night long.
***Beds were awesomely comfy.***
Front desk not overly friendly.
***GORDY's boat rental guys were great.***
I might come back again but would not want to stay in 1606 again(because of Ceiling) although location by outdoor pool was good.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

CSMoonie –

Thank you for your review. I apologize that you experienced the inconveniences you mentioned during your stay. I have alerted our engineering department so that they may review the room. The onsite boat rental is a great convenience and I am delighted to read that you found the staff to be so helpful. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again and exceed you expectations.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I had our reception at the Abbey Resort in Fontana last summer. My husband's family has been boating in Lake Geneva for many years and the Abbey holds a special place in his heart. We decided this would be the perfect place to celebrate our special day.

Sadly, we experienced many problems throughout planning, on our wedding night, and even after the event was done.

We had many issues with hotel rooms leading up to our wedding. Our contract stated that the 2 night minimum would be waived. As guests called to reserve their rooms, they were told they need to book 2 nights. We had many upset guests call us feeling confused. My husband had to call the hotel many times to explain what our contract stated. It seemed that no one at the front desk was on the same page, and all of our guests were being told different information. Since most of our guests were traveling from out of town, the room situation really was a nightmare.

A few weeks before our wedding, my husband and I were informed that we had an outstanding balance. We were certain that we had fully paid off the wedding. We had to contact our banks/credit cards to receive statements to prove that we, in fact, had paid in full! The hotel received these payments but had no records to show we had paid. Just another nightmare to go through before the wedding. Thank goodness we had the documents.

On our wedding night, we were served the wrong meal at our reception. Our contract stated we would receive a filet and bone in french chicken. We also paid to have loaded baked potatoes with cheddar and bacon. The meal we had at our tasting was beautiful and delicious, however, this was not the meal we received on our wedding night. We received a filet that did not have the bernaise sauce,a small chicken breast, and a baked potato that was pitiful to the one we were presented at our tasting. Be aware that the food at the tasting may not be the food you will receive.

After the wedding we spent months arguing with the Abbey about hotel room charges and trying to get money back for the breech of contract . We threatened to get a lawyer, and eventually they agreed to give us some money back. We still feel we did not receive a fair amount. It was a miserable experience and we are glad that it's over.

We recently received a complimentary free night stay for our one year anniversary. We figured we would use the free night stay, but choose to eat dinner and give our service to another hotel in the area. We gave them the certificate number over the phone and booked our room. When we arrived for our stay, we realized we forgot the certificate at home. We didn't think it would be an issue considering we already gave them the information needed while booking our room. We were wrong...They refused to give us the free night stay as we were checking in. We spoke to many managers and explained our situation. In the end, we paid for the room in full. They explained we could send the certificate in and get reimbursed for the room. (here we go again with their accounting department- let’s hope this works)

Overall, it saddens me that our experience with the Abbey was not what we hoped for. I hope I can help other brides to be when choosing their wedding venue. Please be careful if you choose to have your wedding or reception here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lauren M

Lauren,
Thank for your review. We know what an important day this was for your and our wedding planners worked very closely with you throughout your journey. I am deeply disappointed to read that your day did not meet all your expectations. If you would like to discuss this in further detail, please feel free to contact me or your planner.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Abbey is a classic hotel with all the amenities you would expect to find in a Wisconsin Resort on a lake. First, you cant beat Lake Geneva for its beautiful homes, crisp clean water and atmosphere of fun. Just like a true resort, the food is good but takes forever to get. The good news is there is always live music and activities to keep you occupied. The hotel is old, but has been well kept up to date with remodeling. The spa and fitness room is much better than many higher end resorts I have been to. This place always has a party going on and a true summer atmosphere. I have been coming here since the 70s and keep adding to the memories. Also, if you love boats, the harbor is filled with all kinds of classics, cruisers and runabouts.

Room Tip: Harbor view is great, or get a pool/terrace view.

Tim K.

Thank you taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. We value our repeat guests and I am delighted to hear that we continue to be your go to Lake Geneva resort. I appreciate you noticing our recent renovations. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Positives: staff (except front desk) very good; food average; location nice. Negatives: caulk in shower was black with mold; decor from the sixties and seemingly not updated since; shower head sprayed everywhere but on me; bathroom fan sounded like jet taxiing; wooden blinds did little to block the light; nothing to do after dark.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ken D
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Ken D.,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your kind comments about our staff and our location. I also appreciate your comments on areas were we can improve. We hope that you will return in the future so that we may exceed your expectations.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Beautiful resort with friendly and helpful staff aside from Tony at the front desk. She was completely rude and unsympathetic about our 2.5 wait to check-in and insisted it wasn't because of our groupon. The fact that we watched plenty of guests come in after us and get their rooms well before us, makes me wonder. One night was just too short considering we checked in so late and needed to be out so early the next day. Our stay was less than 15 hours so for one night would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

KBJA,
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your kind comments about our property. We strive to provide exceptional guest service, and I apologize that you did not receive that during your check-in. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

we had a wonderful time at the Abbey it was our first time and really want to go back! the whole place was so pretty the grounds very well maintained the people working there very nice, the rooms very nice the beds a super high so if your short or have kids you may have a little trouble we definitely want to go back and try the spa too we took a tour and t looked great if pretty pricey.

Room Tip: ask for pool view and we really liked the first level
1  Thank Markuehl
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Markeuhl,

Thank you for your five star review of The Abbey Resort. I am delighted to hear that your first visit to The Abbey was so enjoyable and I appreciate your kind comments about our staff and property. We look forward to return stay.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I've stayed at the Abbey Resort & Spa and when I traveled there this year for a work engagement I even told my girlfriend that I'd have to ensure we went back so she could see how wonderful it was. Though it wasn't quite as magical as I remember, I wasn't unsatisfied with the service provided for the most part. Though the food has certainly dropped in quality at both the Waterfront and their 240 West establishments.

Where my troubles began was when I was called by my bank the day I checked out to confirm multiple charges on my account. The Abbey had double charged my holding fee. Not a huge deal, but I called to clear it up. The front desk attendant informed me that the overnight attendant had authorized my card (Well, it's good to know they can arbitrarily do that at will.) but she would reverse the charge and I should see the money back. I considered the matter settled and left it at that. Until I woke up this morning to discover a fresh charge of another $40. I called back, was told the front desk girl had never seen anything like this and got transferred to accounting.

All accounting could tell me was that I was incorrect in what I was seeing on my bank statement and that I wouldn't be charged again. When I informed them that I was a little leery of just taking the organization at their word I was informed that unfortunately they could only assure me I wouldn't be charged a 4th time incorrectly.

At this point the Abbey has charged me enough money to have stayed another weekend and offered nothing to make the situation right. Not only will I likely never stay here, but I am going to ensure my company doesn't return. Buyer beware, the businesses practices here have certainly taken a plunge.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Matt B

Matt B.,

Thank you for your review. I am a bit surprised that we received this review as our accounting manager stated that she spoke with you on the phone and we thought that everything had been resolved to your satisfaction. We apologize for the error our night audit team made and the inconvenience this caused you. If there are additional concerns, or this has not been resolved to your satisfaction, please reach out to immediately so that we may understand that issues. I am sorry that this put a negative impact on what appears to otherwise be a very enjoyable stay with us.

Guest relations manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
Geneva Inn
Geneva Inn
#1 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!