“Very nice place”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights for a getaway. We were looking forward to relaxing in our room and if at all possible, watching our favorite shows from Netflix. We called the week before and we're told that most likely it would work there to plug in our ROKU. It didn't because of the email verification that was required to use the WIFI. But, George the manager and the engineer tried VERY hard to help us get it connected. They went over and above the call of duty and we're very earnest in their efforts! George understood our disappointment in not getting it to work and offered us some complimentary services for our inconvenience. In retrospect it really might of been silly to realistically hope for it to work.
The room was very clean and comfortable! The service was GREAT and the environment was very nice! We also ate almost all of our meals there and the food was quite good. We will be staying there again In August! We highly recommend it!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Rita M,

Thank you for your five-star review. We appreciate your kind comments about our staff member George and the effort he and our engineer put forth to assist you. I also appreciate you kind comments about the cleanliness of the room and your dining experiences at the resort. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Beware! A block of rooms reserved for a wedding means that your guests will be scattered as far apart as possible. Overcharged for buffet breakfast. Secret charge for handing out gift bags at check- in. Diviner for reception was not prepared as promised. The list goes on. For a wedding, they totally rip you off. Stay somewhere else and spend your money on your honeymoon, or a down payment on a nice house.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool or water looked nice. All have balconies or patios. Ask for a room at eith...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank KayM1974
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

KayM1974,
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with your stay. Our wedding planners work very closely with our brides and grooms and review every detail of the wedding contract which outlines the room arrangements, dinner selections and incidentals such as gift bags. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please feel free to contact me at Schmitz@theabbeyresot.com.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Got a great deal on Groupon and just stayed for 2 nights with a family of 2 adults and three kids. Called ahead to ensure we got something on the ground floor with a view of the pool. After arriving the original room we booked (double queen) was much to small as there was not much room left over after the beds. I had to make 2 calls to get a room change, however, and after speaking with Alex I couldn't have been happier. Had someone immediately at my door to show me another room and I had new room keys in hand in minutes! Pools are decent, free passes at the front desk for the local beach, clean room and grounds, comfortable bed (although a little high for the kids), ample parking, Walmart 15 minutes away if you need to stock up. At the end of the day if you are going with a family and plan on staying in one room, its doable- just make sure to reserve either a King and couch or get a double queen with a "recliner"- you'll need the extra space. Shout out to Alex and Charlie.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Eli B

Thank you for taking the time for review The Abbey Resort and also for your five-star rating. We appreciate your kind comments about staff members Alex and Charlie. I have shared your comments with their manager. As you would like to return, I would encourage you to visit our website and sign up for our email offers or follow on Facebook. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

My partner and I had a group on for a one-night get away at the Abbey Resort. Right off the bat, customer service looked a bit distracted. The receptionist kept mentioning that we had a Group on reservation which sounded devaluating and inappropriate in front of my partner. Also, the resort slips you in surreptitiously a 12$ resort charge which there is no mention of when you book your stay there. Overall, the experience was peasant but ended on a unpalatable note as we were gathering our belongings to leave the room, the housekeeping ushered in and start flushing the toilet, collecting towels, starting to clean the room so we were literally forced to leave so that she can go after her duties even before our check out time!This was my last interaction with the Abbey stuff which wasn't up to the par in my opinion.

Room Tip: Ask where the room is located. They just hand you a room whiteout mentioning if it is on the first...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Vkadimir Y

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your getaway and I appreciate you sharing the areas were we can improve. The $12 resort fee that you referenced was included in the Groupon website listing/offer page and is also posted on our website. This resort fee is charged to all guests and covers a variety items that we provide to our guests such as resort wi-fi access, USA Today newspaper, sports equipment rental, fitness center access, scheduled transportation to Lake Geneva and more. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed for two nights right before the 4th of July. Who knew it would be 58 degrees and raining?? I still loved this place. The grounds were beautiful and there was so much to do. I especially loved that there were so many lawn games available - Frisbee golf course, bags, giant checkers, etc. It felt so old school (in a good way) and was a nice respite from video games and handheld devices.There are bonfire pits and s'mores at night. The outdoor pool was nice and warm, so we were able to play pool basketball and volleyball with the kids even though it was freezing outside. We redeemed a Groupon to stay here, but we weren't treated like it. I requested two adjoining rooms and received it no problem, along with early check in. The standard rooms are really nice, and although I would always prefer a harbor view, the pool view was pretty. I also think the location right down the street from Fontana beach was fantastic, and the hotel will loan you beach passes. I really want to return and experience a stay here with good weather!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

AimeeGabe,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for your five-star rating. While I wish we could control the weather I am very pleased to read that you made the best of it and had such an enjoyable stay. As you would like to return, I would encourage you to visit our website and sign up for our email offers or follow us on Facebook. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed over the 4th of July weekend and it was very hectic but the hotel managed it well. The facility has been nicely upgraded if you haven't been there in awhile. The room was pricey but it was a holiday weekend so I get it. However it was very comfortable. They charge a "resort" fee of $12 but then make it up to you with a credit of $20 for use anywhere at the hotel. We used it to make a very expensive breakfast in the restaurant not so expensive.

They offer shuttle service into Lake Geneva but only once every two hours. We liked it as you can go into town for dinner and not worry about having a few and then driving.

I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gdagesse
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Gdagesse,

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort. I appreciate you noticing our recent upgrades. I am also pleased to read that you were able to take advantage of our shuttle service to Lake Geneva. We look forward to your return stay.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed at the resort after the 4th if July, significantly fewer people. The grounds are beautiful, staff friendly, separate activities for the children and adults - if you desire. We were on an adults only trip and found the ability to walk the lake, watch the boats, and drive to the nearby communities relaxing. For a few hours of shopping or dining must try the community of Lake Geneva, really has something for most taste. The breeze off the lake was wonderful. Watch the families swim and laying on the beach reminded us of younger days. The only downside of the trip was breakfast. The coffee was very weak, not very warm, food items would have benefitted from some seasoning - at least salt and pepper or fresh herbs. After that meal we ventured out to surrounding communities for our meals. Otherwise, peaceful/relaxing visit.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Patricia W.,
Thank you for your review of The Abbey and the Lake Geneva area. Your stay sounds like the ideal lake escape – lake walks, watching the boats and families swimming and then shopping and dining in downtown. I do apologize that your food service was not as expected. We look forward to your return stay.

Guest relations manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
Geneva Inn
Geneva Inn
#1 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!