“4 Day Trip to Lake Geneva”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Houston, Texas
“4 Day Trip to Lake Geneva”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Abbey Resort was a great place to stay. They staff was very friendly. The spa was great. My 13 year old niece and I went and both loved it. The toilet in are room would not flush, mid way through our stay, there was someone there to fix the problem within 5 minutes of my call. ( this happened about 9:30pm.) The only problem we had was the ride over to the city of Lake Geneva. We spend a lot of time over there and had to pay to park. The drive was a little longer than I would have like, but there was road construction. Overall this is a great resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Misty J,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our spa and staff. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. For future stays, you may want to take advantage of the complementary shuttle service we provide to Lake Geneva.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Guest relations manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Great location close to restaurants and harbor. Buildings and grounds well maintained. More goose poop patrol wouldn't be a bad thing. The big problem was that it was extremely difficult to find your way around as the signs directing you from the lobby to your room and vice-versa were terrible. Pretty much everybody else I spoke to had the same opinion and I'm amazed I don't see any complaints like this in the reviews.

• Stayed July 2013
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
7marc7,

I am sorry that you found it difficult to find your way around the resort. While it does not change your experience, we do have plans to increase our signage throughout the property. Outside of the signage it sounds like your stay with us was enjoyable and we hope you will return for a future stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Abbey Resort is a great place to stay…. I stayed from 07/27 – 07/29, the resort has 3 pools, two outdoor including the 18 and over pool (which is nice and quiet and has a hot tub) and the indoor pool. The grounds are beautiful, we had a room looking over the outdoor pools which was perfect, don’t know if I’d pay the extra money for the harbor views, they are beautiful but it’s better to be right across from the pools. The neighboring bars/restaurants, Gordy’s and Chuck’s are great hangout spots, the food is good and the ambiance is nice. Later on Saturday night, Gordy turns into a small night club at the back of the bar, it’s a perfect spot for late night drinks and some dancing… I would definitely recommend staying at The Abbey and I will be returning soon.

Room Tip: Defintiely do the pool view...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Jenny P.,

Thank you for recommending The Abbey to your friends for a perfect girls’ getaway. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and even enjoyed the Fontana night life. I hope you were able to take advantage of the Avani Spa while you were here too. We look forward to welcoming your again soon.

Morris
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Tthe Abbey hotel is Beautiful, very clean, friendly, the furnishing in the room were very nice, i would highly recommend to friends or family, the bed was very comfortable, and the room was nice and quiet, a very relaxing stay, wish we could have stayed longer. The food was also delicious.

Room Tip: if you like quiet the harbor side is nice, if you like fun the pool side is nice, if you like tranqu...
Janine N,

Thank you very much for recommending The Abbey to your friends and family. I was very happy to hear that you found The Abbey to be beautiful, relaxing, clean and friendly. We hope to see you on a return visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just came back from my 4th stay. Overall the resort is very nice and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. Going back in a couple of weeks. While on the expensive side rates are comparable to other resorts in Lake Geneva for the summer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Jim1949,

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort. We value our repeat guests and are delighted to hear that your stay was wonderful! As we will be seeing you again in a few weeks, our Facebook page is a great way to stay updated on specials and entertainment taking place at The Abbey.

Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Abbey during the week of July 15. Initially we decided to stay 2 nights but before we got there we decided to reserve a 3d night. 3 nights is too many.

The resort was spectacular when it was built 50 years ago. Today that's way too generous a description.

The Village of Lake Geneva is at the opposite end of the lake, a 20 minute drive each way.

We found many things very pleasing, including
• good ac
• good mattresses, although they are too high off floor
• good shower
• good towels
• good service
• very friendly and helpful staff

However, there were some things we found not so pleasing:
• the PC in the business center is laughingly old (XP???) and the internet connection is unusably slow.
• many spider webs outside our door
• hair in pool, unclean corners in pool
• Goose feces covering the sidewalk – one cannot walk on the marina side and enjoy the view because one has to watch the sidewalk to avoid the pervasive goose feces.
• Surprise fees
- 12.50 resort fee – when checking in I was told these were for wireless internet and valet, when in fact there was no wireless service in our room, the pool or the dining room, and the sign outside the front entrance says valet is complementary
- $10.00 – promotion fee because we purchased through another web site

After spending three days and nearly $800, my top remembrances are the surprise fees and the goose feces.

2 Thank joe s
Joe S.,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful; however, I was disappointed to hear there were some areas of your stay that were not exceptional. We appreciate your feedback and discuss each review we receive to ensure concerns are addressed. Also, if you should choose to stay with us again I wanted to let you know that while downtown Lake Geneva is 10 miles away, we do offer a complimentary shuttle service for our guests. The shuttle service along with access to the fitness center and fitness classes, beach passes, in-house activities programming and more are covered in the resort fee along with the other items you mentioned. We do hope you will return in the future so we may meet and exceed all your expectations.

Lemont, Illinois
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We recently stayed for two nights at the Abbey and we were impressed with it. It had been quite some time since our last visit under previous owners when there was a lot of differed maintenance. It is very obvious that a lot of money has been invested by the new owners. The beds were luxurious, room spotless, several pools both indoor and out. A lot of updating. The Fontana Grill food was awesome. The filet steak melted in your mouth, the sushi appetizer was perfectly done, presentation was very good. For dessert I chose grilled pineapple with coconut. Our server was outstanding. I did miss not having their elegant restaurant in the iconic Abbey A frame which is now banquet and meeting facilities. The old locations had a very special atmosphere that has not been replicated when they moved the restaurant to its new location. My then boyfriend took me there over 40 years ago when he asked me to be his bride. I wish management could set aside some very private small dining rooms in the A frame portion of the hotel for those very special dinners because of their 50 year history of the Abbey making so many romantic memories.

Room Tip: I personally liked the harbor view with the boats coming and going .....it said to me this is Lake G...
Teddybear100,

Congratulations on 40 years of marriage. I am delighted to hear that your stay was outstanding; and thank you for noticing the renovations and improvements that were recently completed. It was wonderful reading your review and hearing that The Abbey was the special location your husband selected for your proposal.

Congratulations once again, and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Guest relations manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#9 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Inns Of Geneva National
Inns Of Geneva National
#11 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!