“Disappointing”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My family (Mom, Dad, and one 15 year old) has just returned from a trip to the Abbey. We were disappointed, and won't be going back. It's just not a place for teens.
Our room was nice, but on the small side. We had a King bed with a sofa sleeper. The room was small enough to require rearranging of the furniture to pull the bed out. And the sofa sleeper was very uncomfortable - enough that my daughter chose to sleep on the sofa without pulling the bed out on the second night. On the plus side, the shower was nice and big, and the shower head very high. ( a plus if you're tall, and don't like to do deep knee-bends while trying to wash your hair)
There are several swimming pools at the Abbey, but not all available to kids. There is a nice outside kids pool, and a nice outside adult pool, but since it was cool, we were limited to the inside pool, which really isn't so nice. The pictures that the website shows are mostly of the Spa pool. And while it is beautiful, you have to be 16 to use it. And - something the website never mentions - unless you book a spa service, you have to pay $25 to use the majority of the spa facilities. Yes, you can work out or attend some fitness classes with the "resort fee" of $12 of day, but a little transparency might be in order here.
And the spa? There are nice areas, but the day I was there, both the steam room and the whirlpool in the women's side of the spa were closed. The ceiling above the whirlpool was being painted. It struck me that this could have been done at night while the spa was closed. And I wasn't the only one in the area that commented how odd this was. The spa service was okay - my husband and daughter had massages. I had a manicure, which when dried made my nails look like someone had dipped them in sand before polishing. If I hadn't been leaving the next day, I would have asked for this to be done properly. I took the polish off when I got home. What a waste of money!
We went to the Waterfront for dinner. Lovely view, good food, but very poor service. I was considering ordering the "Flat Iron Steak", and asked the server about it. Her reply? "Well, it's nothing special." So instead of ordering the $20 steak, I ordered a $12 burger. My husband had the ribs, which he said were very good. The Nachos, however, came with a combination of shredded cheese, and "liquid" cheese. The place is in Wisconsin!! Can't they even use real cheese?? We checked out early and ate breakfast a McDonald's down the road. Enough said.
So if you're an adult looking for a quiet spot for a getaway, this may be the place for you. For kids? Not so much. We go to the Lake Geneva area every year. We've crossed this place off of our list.

Room Tip: Choose carefully if you can't or don't want to do stairs. Not all of the buildings have ele...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ann S
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Ann S,

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay, and that some areas of our spa were not functioning while you were here. We are addressing your comments with our staff; and while, it does not change your experience, the steam room and whirlpool are both back up and running. We are also working with our activities team to develop additional offerings for our teenage guests. Again, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay and thank you for sharing your experience.

Guest relations manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed June 19, 2013

OK..where do I start... just upon entering the lobby you know you've arrived at a special hotel...the style, the smiles....the views.... and then you enter your room.... omg I can still feel remember how comfortable that bed was..and the shower...and the comfortable room.....

*yes....it is a bit confusing trying to find your way around the hotel..I'll give you that*....

But OMG the Spa pool was great....napped there for hours.... and the cuisine was fantastic...the breakfast was great...Eggs Benedict was perfect...

Wow!! -- find this place and spend a weekend here as soon as possible!!!!!

Room Tip: just ask front test to get exact directions to room as we had a bit of trouble actually locating our...
2  Thank Shreemaan
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Shreemaan,

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort. We are thrilled that your stay with us was amazing, and that you were able to catch a few Zs at the Avani Spa pool. We hope to see you back again soon and please be sure to follow us on Facebook.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Abbey is a beautiful resort with an outstanding view. Beautiful rooms, dinner/dining and entertainment. The gift shop is awsome great gifts for family and friends. And check out Gordy's on the board walk

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Jazspin9,

I could not agree more with your subject line –“The most relaxing resort on Lake Geneva.” Thank you for taking the time to review our resort, and please be sure to follow us on Facebook to stay up-to-date on our happenings.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Attended a conference at the resort and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Room was extremely quiet, even though it was right near the Spa. The servers in the Fontana Grill for breakfast both mornings were professional, pleasant, and extremely accommodating.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Beth H

Dear Beth H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. Providing our guests with superior service is what we strive to do everyday, and I am delighted to hear that we delivered on that promise. We hope that you will have an opportunity to stay with us again.

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here in mid-June for a business conference. My first impressions were quite good. The young men at the front desk were very friendly and accommodating. The hallways and room had newer carpeting. My first thought of the room was that it was an interesting mix of new and old. The bathroom was very modern. The walk-in shower was large and inviting. The water pressure wasn't great but that is a minor disappointment. The room itself was fairly large, not small like other reviewers have noted. The décor was in keeping with a "resort on a lake" theme that was built in the '60s. The king bed was very comfortable and the 40 inch television came with a full cable channel lineup.
I did not go to the spa or the upscale restaurant Fontana Grill but the Waterfront Cafe was fairly priced and had very good food with good service. Our banquet meal on Saturday night was one of the better banquet dinners I have ever had. The buffet breakfast's were standard but quite good. I wish I had something really negative to say that would make this review more interesting but I just don't have it. The best I can do, is say that if you are coming here from the west please have your GPS or turn by turn navigation turned on. There are absolutely no signs saying "turn here for The Abbey" or anything remotely similar. Wisconsin is not the best state for marking their side roads. All highways are K or O or Brick Church or Brick School. Coming from the east must be easier as I assume almost all guests are coming from Chicago or Milwaukee. Not until you are about 2 blocks away will you see a sign for the resort. I came here at night and couldn't believe how remote Fontana is. I guess I was thinking Lake Geneva was a more highfalutin place but it isn't.
Other notes are that the pools are very nice with many deck chairs and a good wait staff. Also, I talked at length with the concierge Linda, who was fun and interesting to talk to. I was expecting more of a tourist trap but this area is nothing like the Wisconsin Dells, for example.
If you want to see how the other half lives take a boat tour of the lake. A few hundred feet from the main entrance are two boat rental operations. We dealt with Jerry's and had a wonderful time on our pontoon boat. The young employees were fun to deal with.
The grounds here are very nice and easy to walk around to get from one area to another. Also note, if you are looking for a great view of Lake Geneva you will have to settle for a nice view of the marina and it's cluster of boats of various sizes.
So, in summation I will say this is a nice, quiet resort but certainly not a spectacular one with a wow factor.
Our group of one hundred or so had no complaints, so that in itself is saying something.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the marina and manicured grounds, otherwise you will be facing the parking lot...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dennis k

Dennis K,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that your business conference stay with us was enjoyable and that our staff was friendly and accommodating. We hope that if you have the option to stay in the area again that you will select The Abbey Resort and Avani Spa.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a very nice resort and the renovations are really great. Loved the marina area and looking at all the boats and water from our harbor view room (it's worth the upgrade). Very peaceful grounds and nice staff. Didn't get a chance to use the spa since we were so busy. This was a very enjoyable visit and we'll return here next time we're in the Lake Geneva area.

Room Tip: The harbor view rooms are the best and worth the upgrade! We sat out on the balcony quite a bit. N...
2  Thank SCP&LP
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

SCP&LP,

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort and Spa. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The harbor view is one of my favorite views as well! As it sounds like we will be seeing you again, please follow us on Facebook and sign up for our emails to stay informed of our events and promotional offers. I hope you will have the chance to enjoy The Avani Spa on your next stay as it is truly a relaxing experience.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

The grounds are simply lovely and relaxing.. the cabanas outside of the spa are great.. we asked for a quiet area and got it! Building 7 not overlooking the pools..all of the rooms have balconies and chairs...the Waterfront Café has good food and is very nice right on the harbor...the gift shop has all of the basics and more...
However..there is no bottled spring water on the property, the soap in all of the restrooms except the hotel room is a bottle of Dollar Store type soap... this resort is expensive so it seemed a bit..insulting ...
The kids pool has a fountain type feature that pours water like in a really heavy rainstorm falling from a gutter onto concrete... nothing soothing whatsoever about it and it is heard all over the outdoor area.... the whirlpool in the adult pool "hasn't worked in a long time"..and the Fontana grill restaurant upstairs is very very dark ... the entrance to the spa is also not very appealing or impressive or light filled... and all of the magazines at the spa pool and areas were either sports or news types..
For families they have a great deal of activities and games all around and the childrens' pool, with the exception of the annoying water thing.. is the best I've seen..
Chelsea at the front desk was great as was Jim the concierge who told us about the lovely walk along the nearby beach and summer homes... he also told us about the beach passes they provide.. the female concierge did not share that piece of info..Greg and Paul were helpful out front with directions too..
It is also only a 10 - 15 minute ride to downtown Lake Geneva...
With a bit of tweaking.. this is a lovely and relaxing getaway ..
On the way home to the western suburbs we stopped off in downtown Woodstock which is a real treat! A delightful village square and historic and still in use Opera House.... this is where the movie Groundhog's Day was filmed.. worth it to stop here for lunch and browsing..

Room Tip: Building 7 not facing the pool provided a lovely view and quiet..if you face the pools you will hear...

Tina h,

I am delighted that you were able to enjoy a relaxing and quiet stay with us, and thank you for the kind comments about the helpfulness of our staff. I apologize that you encountered some areas that were not functioning at the level you would expect. Please know that we feel the same way and are addressing the lighting, soap dispenses, magazine selection and the whirlpool. We hope that future stays with us will be even more enjoyable.

Guest relations manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#6 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Inns Of Geneva National
Inns Of Geneva National
#7 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!