“Great Winter Get Away For Friends” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Winter Get Away For Friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed at the Abbey for 2 days during spring break week with my former college roommate. Thought the spa/salon prices were a bit high, but worth the extra price since you can spend the day in the spa area...quiet area with fireplace, spa whirlpool, sauna & pool with mostly adults (a must for 2 ladies getting away from 5 kids). We noticed that, although it is still quiet and relaxing, the spa pool can get a bit busy in the afternoon. We booked our service in the early afternoon and spent the morning in the pool area with only 3 other people. It was perfect and highly recommended.
Our room was near the spa and was very nice. The walls are quite thin so bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper.
We enjoyed breakfast at the Fontana Grill during our stay. If you are looking for other local restaurants, I recommend the Tempura House in Lake Geneva for dinner (great sushi, service OK) or a locals' favorite diner for breakfast/lunch called Daddy Maxwell's in Williams Bay (great food and service, authentic retro atmosphere).
If you are looking for a great location for a girls' get-away in a beautiful area with good shopping/dining/spa, The Abbey is perfect.

Room Tip: The resort is spread out over a large area. Decide what part of the hotel you will use the most and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
John M, Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Shari 0505,

It was a delight to read your review. We are thrilled every time that a guest is as satisfied as you were. From the Spa to the Fontana Grill to the children's activities we offer something for everyone.

Please consider visiting us again for your next vacation destination.

Management Representative

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Our group of four stayed here for two nights and we had a great time. Now to be honest we didn't use the spa or eat at the property. We had a a two queen pool view room in building 2. Since it is off season we easily parked our own car right in front but it was nice to see that complimentary valet parking was available if needed. The game room is small but we found games to play. We never saw anyone playing the board games in the solarium but I thought that was a nice option. My 9 yr old enjoyed the pool. We attended the "float n flick" movie in the pool. This was a nice free activity. However they did not show the advertised movie. Check-in and check-out was fast and friendly. The post that referenced the resort fee was mistaken; the resort fee was $12 plus tax per day not per person. One member of our group needed to leave a day early and the resort provided a free shuttle to the Harvard, Il Metra station 20 min away and let her stay in the warm van until she could bard the train. This resort is about 15-20 min away from downtown Lake Geneva. We discovered a great spa in Williams Bay that was very nice and cheaper than the resort. We also ate in Fontana and Williams Bay and went horseback riding in Delevan. All of this was within 15 minutes of the resort. By staying at the Abbey we saw more and did more than when we stayed at the Geneva Grand. I can't wait to come back in the summer although it will cost triple what we paid in April.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ChicagoSpaLover
John M, Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Chicago Spa Lover,

We are delighted to read such a glowing review about your recent stay here at the Abbey Resort and Spa. Your review really sums up all the reasons why guests come back year after year to our beautiful resort on Geneva Lake. Specifically there is so much to do for all members of the family.

We look forward to your return trip in the Summer.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The clerk at check-in was friendly and helpful and accommodated my request for adjoining rooms since other family members were planning to join us. However I was not made aware of the additional $12 per person resort fee until check-in. This should be stated upon making the reservation. The fee is apparently for valet parking, Wi-Fi, use of the business center, etc., whether you use the services or not. The room was clean, updated, but small and had thin walls . We stayed in building 7, which has no ramp, so you have to lug your baggage up stairs. If you want to use the indoor pool by the lobby, building 7 is a long walk, however it is very close to the outdoor pools and would be a great location for the summertime.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bikincin
Dear bikincin,

We would like to thank you for providing us with a Trip Advisor review regarding your recent stay at the Abbey Resort and Spa. We appreciate the feedback and discuss every single one internally.

We are very pleased that you experienced such friendly check in service and found your room to be so well kept. We did want to address the Resort Fee. While it is commonplace at many resorts and it does include many items that are very popular such as Wi-Fi, complimentary fitness center usage, local calls, valet parking and free shuttle service we also strive to make sure every guest is aware of it. It is mentioned in the reservation call and included in the confirmation email that each and every guest receives. We also list it on the website to better inform our guests.

We hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Management Representative.
Fontana, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

My family and i had Easter Brunch at the Abbey Resort and had a wonderful time. The food offering was outstanding and the service was great. For anyone looking for a fun getaway for Easter weekend - i highly recommend the Abbey Resort.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Clark K,

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your Easter Brunch here at the Abbey Resort and Spa. We had a record turnout and we have received many complimentary comments from our guests.

Easter is such a very special day and we are greatly honored that you would select us to spend time with your family.

We look forward to you visiting us again in the future.

Management Representative.
Chicago, Il
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed at the resort from 3/24-3/26/2013. We were looking forward to a nice relaxing time where we could use the spa facilities and just chill out. Our room was very nice but that is about all I can say about this stay. It was absolutely freezing in the entire building. We had to walk around inside with our down jackets on. HOW REDICULOUS! We couldn't use the spa amenities because it was so cold it was unbearable to come out of a hot spa tub or steam room and enter the lounge area that was so abnormally cold. I had a spa manicure and pedicure and it was by far the worst experience. I paid $115 and when I left the spa, I noticed my toenails weren't even painted to the ends and the skin on my feet were still so rough. The manicure chipped in less than a day and I wasn't even doing dishes. I went back to the spa to see if the nail tech could fix these problems and I was told they had all left for the day.
I had to check out the next day and leave for a family emergency. I phoned the spa manager, Lisa and she was extremely apologetic and professional. She will make good on this bad experience. However, it is outreagous to pay $50 for a manicure and $65 for a pedicure. I have these services done all the time in Chicago and I pay $60 or less for both and they last a very long time. The spa area is nice and it would have been great to use if the room temperature was where it should have been. The fitness center is very nice and well kept.

3 Thank GoofyChicago_Il
John M, Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Goofy Chicago,

We appreciate all the responses that we receive whether they are positive or negative. It is important for us to improve our products and services and there is no better way than comments from our guests.

I am very happy that Lisa resolved the situation with you and that you enjoyed the overall ambiance of the spa and fitness center. While we receive many compliments regarding our nail services it appears as though in this situation that we fell short of expectations. Please accept our apology.

I hope that you might visit us at some point in the future to give us another try.

Arlington Heights, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Had a nice visit to The Abbey Resort over the 23rd and 24th of March, 2013. The basic room with two queen beds was small, but adequate. The room was nicely decorated and had ample amenities: flat screen TV with cable, microwave, mini-fridge, safe, hair dryer, and a recently updated bathroom.

The rest of the resort had several shortcomings... Several of the common areas were not cleaned properly. The hallway by the Waterfront Restaurant had overhead pendant lights filled with bugs. As this was March, the bugs had to have been there for several months. The end of the corridor, nearer to the Waterfront Restaurant, had a strong smell of raw sewage which lingered there for the duration of our stay.

We paid for use of the Avanti Spa facilities. We had a poolside massage by Gail Anderson. She was very personable and did a fabulous job. The pool area was nice because the mature clientele swam about quietly without splashing, making for a relaxing pool experience; however, the pool did have its shortcomings. The indirect light fixtures that had apparently stopped working had not been repaired; instead, the lights were cut from the ceiling leaving the lighting lacking and unbalanced. Why they would cut down lights instead of repairing them is a mystery to me. Also, parts of the lower plaster ceiling and walls had sustained water damage that had not been repaired. Back in the men's lounge of the spa, there were giant clumps of dirty gray cobwebs where the walls met the ceiling in the shower area. It's as though the cleaning staff and management only focus their eyes on the floor. For a resort like the Abbey, this is not what one should expect.

We had Sunday brunch at the Fontana Grill. After being seated by the polite hostess, we waited for the waitress to take our drink order... She never came. We went up to get our food one at a time, so that the other could give our drink order to the waitress. Still she never came. The food at the brunch was good with a few exceptions. The biscuits and gravy were served from one chaffing dish with a limited amount of gravy "pre-poured" over the biscuits. The biscuits absorbed this trace amount of gravy leaving them dry and undesirable. It would have made more sense to have a warm pot of the sausage gravy next to the biscuits with a ladle so that one could pour fresh gravy over the biscuits. The deserts were satisfactory, except for the lemon bars which had very little lemon flavor and instead tasted of rotten eggs.

The mattresses in our room were extremely comfortable firm pillowtop mattresses. So comfortable were the mattress that I'd love one of comparable quality for my own home. The bedding was equally comfortable and stylish. Our housekeeper was so quick and thorough that our room was cleaned by the time we came back from brunch, a very nice surprise since we were staying in that day due to inclement weather.

It was very late into the night before we could get to sleep due to the numerous children running and stomping up and down the hall until midnight. Although, policing of children is a parent's responsibility, perhaps there should be signs at the end of the hall politely notifying guests that running down the halls might disturb guests. This was the first time I stayed at the Abbey Resort, and it will be the last. I plan on taking my business to The American Club in Kohler, Wisconsin next time.

3 Thank BrianHowes
Dear Brian Howes,

I want to thank you for taking the time to fill out a Trip Advisor review. While we are disapointed that your overall stay fell short of expectations we truly appreciate the feedback that you have provided to us.

I am gratified that you enjoyed your massage with Gail Anderson so much. She is a terrific therapist and we will pass along your comments. With regards to the housekeeping issues we will definiely focus on these as we continue to strive for improvement.

We hope that you will visit us again in the future as I am sure that you will have a better experience.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I was satisfied with the resort as a whole, however the spa womens locker room was terrible. There was mildew in the ceiling, water dripping on me from the ceiling, pillow cases covering up the ceiling and old rust and or water stains on the pillowcase, there were areas where the pillowcases was hanging down and you could see the holes in the ceiling and paint chipping. Needless to say, I was very surprised because the service was great and the overall presentation did not prepare me for that.

There was on other issue, the person at the front desk booked me in a handicapped room and stated that was just the next room as being listed as available. I find it hard to believe you are not suppose to pay attention to that kind of the before you give out the key. So I went to the room and found out and requested we be moved ASAP, they moved us I thought they would bring a cart, but they moved us to an area where there were no elevators, so we had to go up the stairs.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GwendolynDavis
Dear Gwendolyn Davis,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to us about your recent visit to the Abbey Resort and Spa. It was an honor to host you and we want you to know that we read every review very carefully.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your spa service so much. We are sorry that you experienced some physical plant issues in our locker room. Please accept our apology. We did encounter some problems with our roof that were very difficult to repair. Our engineering department worked very hard on correcting these problems and I am happy to report that they have been resolved.

We hope that you will be able to visit us again in the future. It would be our pleasure to host you.

Management Representative
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#12 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Cove of Lake Geneva
Cove of Lake Geneva
#9 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!