“GREAT WEEKEND”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Check-in was a breeze and the valet (Michael?) was personable and efficient. Nicole at the front desk either wasn't having a good night or she doesn't like people. She muttered barely enough words to check us in, but not happily. She was efficient....which was nice. I think we were at the front desk a total of 90 seconds. I hate standing at the front desk for 15 minutes when everything should have been ready, so the fact that she didn't appear to want to be there and the fact they had everything under control, we were in our room within 3 minutes of pulling up to the Abbey. Sometimes you gotta fake it 'til you make it.

The food was average. Irma was efficient and did her job well.

The Waterfront bar was great for an average person like me (not a clubber). Jayne was amazing. I feel like plucking great people like her up to work for me!

The property was relaxing and beautiful.

My business partner LOVED her facial and her spa time.

****The beds were awesome. I almost ordered one while I was there, so when I arrived home, it would be waiting for me. I hadn't slept that well in 14 years.

The rooms were clean and taken care of well. They were bright and airy. Plenty of towels AND when i arrived my pillows had been already changed out, as requested. I can't do down.

I do plan on returning with my family next year and perhaps make this something we do each year. Wisconsin was beautiful and slower than California, which was really great.

Room Tip: I liked staying on the first floor with a door right out to the grass and marina. The other side of...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Markus S, Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear Subluxfixer,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. We were delighted to read that you had a great weekend.

We take great satisfaction in providing a comfortable bed, beautiful views, and an unparalleled spa experience.

I was proud to read the notes you left about our valet, server, and bartender. We take great effort to ensure all of our associates are as hospitable as the ones you mentioned. We will be working with all of our associates to ensure they maintain our standards of hospitality.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. We are all looking forward to your return to the area in the near future.

Guest Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,147)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

As a part of the girls spa weekend the pool at the spa is quite important. I booked this and nothing was mentioned, I checked in and I saw the sign that stated pool closed so I asked and I was told it was the main indoor pool and not the spa pool. Well, they were all closed. If I was told upon booking I would have changed the date. Not happy as the pool and the whirlpools are a part of what you pay for. Then I asked a few questions about the surrounding area for something else to do and the front desk had no clue.

Room Tip: You pay more but the rooms that face the harbour are the best.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Keekeechicagoil
Markus S, Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Keekeechicagoil,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us. We value your feedback whether it is positive or negative.

I would like apologize for the inconvenience, and assure you that our pools are completely safe, and are undergoing a mechanical update. We had every intention of having the pools open during your stay; however that was a goal we were unable to realize. Once the work is complete
our pools will be open as normal.

I hope we will have the opportunity to make your next stay more enjoyable then your last. Please contact me at 800.772.1000 if you would like to discuss your previous stay in more detail.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I traveled here last weekend on a last minute romantic getaway. Although we made the reservation directly with the hotel, we were not informed that the entire pool and hot tub area was closed for maintenance. We had been looking forward to a nice swim and soak in the tubs, but were unable to enjoy any of those. When we checked in and saw the sign posted about this, my husband expressed our disappointment. The reception clerk barely acknowledged it with a shrug. Upon our check-out, he asked to see the manager and complained again. To their credit, they did refund 10% of our room cost. But had we known that we wouldn't be able to swim at all, we definitely would have stayed at one of the other hotels in the area.

The room itself was very nice and the bed very comfortable. We enjoyed sitting out on the balcony watching a wedding on Saturday afternoon. We had both dinner and breakfast at the Fontana Restaurant at the resort. Both our steak dinners and the breakfast buffet were very good and were included in the cost of our package. However, the server we had at breakfast was really odd. We had to hunt her down to ask for coffee and juice and then never received refills. But, unordered glasses of mimosa kept appearing whenever we got up to get more food. Apparently, we looked like we needed the morning alcohol. We also had a couple of drinks in the Helm Lounge. The bartender there was friendly and quick.

We might return here if all of the amenities were functional. But the fact that we were not told about the pool area was a real turn-off. There are lots of nice hotels in the Lake Geneva area. Another one might get our business the next time.

Dear Julie-K-Wisconsin,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us. We value your feedback.

We take great satisfaction in providing a cornucopia of delicious dining options and in the comfort of our luxurious guestrooms.

I would like apologize for the inconvenience of our pools being closed, and re-assure you that our pools are completely safe, and are undergoing mechanical update. We had every intention of having the pools open during your stay; however that was a goal we were unable to realize.

I hope we will have the opportunity to host your vacation again. Please contact me at 800.772.1000 if you would like to discuss your previous stay in more detail.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had a $240 room and I expected something better than average.This was a basic room. The grounds were very pretty and spead out. There was a wedding reception in a tent in front of our building and the DJ was VERY loud until 11:30 PM. If you stay here, specify a room far away from any parties.

The grounds are spead out and pretty. We had a $240 room, and it was just a basic room. We expected something alittle nicer. There was a wedding reception in a tent in front of our building and the DJ was VERY loud until 11:30 PM. If you go here, specify a room far away from any parties.

Dear David R,

Thank you for choosing The Abbey Resort on your recent visit to Fontana. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the area.

We take great pride in keeping our grounds beautiful no matter the season. Thank you for mentioning that you found them pleasing.

I am concerned to read about your experience with the noise from the West Shore Pavilion, because I understand that one of the things you expect most when staying at a hotel is a good night's sleep. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the noise. Although this does not change your experience, I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concerns and are addressing the issue.

I hope we have the opportunity to host your stay the next time you decide to visit Geneva Lake.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Pleasantly surprised after having read some of the reviews. We arrived early and there was a room ready for us - we were asked if we wanted 1st or 2nd floor and we chose 2nd. We faced the harbor and were able to "attend" three weddings from our balcony viewing the gazebo. Everywhere we went the staff was friendly and accomodating. We didn't leave the resort and ate at the Waterfront and the Fontana Grill. The food wasn't exceptional, but it was good. At the Waterfront I would suggest sandwiches or burgers - I ordered a steak and it really wasn't that great. The beds were very comfortable and the room clean. We were so happy that there was an adult pool - only problem is that they could have used some more chairs, which they did have room for.

Dear Centanni,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable weekend.

We take great satisfaction in providing a friendly and knowledgeable staff, a wide array of menu items in both restaurants, and a warm and relaxing guestroom.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your steak; I would like to apologize and let you know that I’ve asked our chef to look into your experience.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope you find time to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Let me start with the good. The grounds are spacious and lovely and the marina is nice.There are two outdoor pools and 1 indoor.It was nice having an adult pool and a family pool. The fmily pool has a lot for kids to do. This leaves the adult pool for swimming.
The rooms and facility was clean. The beds were comforable but could not sleep because the walls are paper thin and we could hear the people talking next door all night.This was during the week days and the building we were in was not filled but they put all the guests at one end.
When we checked in,we were not told that we were on the second floor and that there was no elevator.We had to carry our bags up the stairs. We were not offered help. We are senior citizens and 1 of us walks with a brace on the leg. This was difficult.
We informed the desk of this when we checked out but it didn't seem to matter. They said that some buildings do have an elevator but not all. I guess people need to ask if you need an elevator to get to an upper floor. This was an unpleasant stay and would not come back.
They need to do something about customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room or a building that has an elevator
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Shushu98,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. We value all feedback whether positive or negative.

I would like to thank you for your praise of our multiple outdoor pools, the cleanliness of our grounds, and the cleanliness of your guestroom.

I would also like to apologize to you for the lack of forethought on the part of our front desk associates. They should have noticed your group’s mobility challenges and placed you in a room that would have better suited your needs. Your comments have been discussed with the proper departments and we have focused some additional training in the area of “Guest Expectations”.

Thank you again for choosing The Abbey Resort. I hope that you will find your next visit with us more enjoyable than your last. If I can be of any assistance, please call 800.772.1000 so I can ensure your next stay exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We've spent a lot of time in Lake Geneva and have stayed in quite a few hotels. I had never really looked into the Abbey until last week when I wanted to surprise my wife with a quick weekend getaway with spa treatment. Wow, was it nice. All of the resorts around lake geneva generally have the same look and feel.... spread out and maze-like - the rooms have the lodgy feel. But, these were nicely updated and very clean. I like that more and more hotels are pulling the tubs and installing nice tile walk-in showers like these.

The spa was really nice. My wife had a massage which entitled her to use the facility the rest of the day, and for 25 bucks ( without a treatment ) I could use it as well. There's a nice sized adults only pool with lanes and hot tub, seperate locker rooms with suana, steam room, showers... relaxation room with a fireplace. I spent the day doing the steam room, sauna, hot tub rotation with a nap in between. Very peaceful and relaxing.

We'll be back for sure.

1  Thank Lab24e

Dear Lab24e,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Abbey Resort. I was pleased to read that your time with us was peaceful and relaxing.

We take great pride in the cleanliness of our luxurious guestrooms and in the pampered relaxation of our Avani Spa.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. I hope we have the pleasure of hosting your next weekend getaway.

Guest Service Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#7 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Inns Of Geneva National
Inns Of Geneva National
#6 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!