“Nice place, but disappointed with service”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Milwaukee
“Nice place, but disappointed with service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I traveled here last weekend on a last minute romantic getaway. Although we made the reservation directly with the hotel, we were not informed that the entire pool and hot tub area was closed for maintenance. We had been looking forward to a nice swim and soak in the tubs, but were unable to enjoy any of those. When we checked in and saw the sign posted about this, my husband expressed our disappointment. The reception clerk barely acknowledged it with a shrug. Upon our check-out, he asked to see the manager and complained again. To their credit, they did refund 10% of our room cost. But had we known that we wouldn't be able to swim at all, we definitely would have stayed at one of the other hotels in the area.

The room itself was very nice and the bed very comfortable. We enjoyed sitting out on the balcony watching a wedding on Saturday afternoon. We had both dinner and breakfast at the Fontana Restaurant at the resort. Both our steak dinners and the breakfast buffet were very good and were included in the cost of our package. However, the server we had at breakfast was really odd. We had to hunt her down to ask for coffee and juice and then never received refills. But, unordered glasses of mimosa kept appearing whenever we got up to get more food. Apparently, we looked like we needed the morning alcohol. We also had a couple of drinks in the Helm Lounge. The bartender there was friendly and quick.

We might return here if all of the amenities were functional. But the fact that we were not told about the pool area was a real turn-off. There are lots of nice hotels in the Lake Geneva area. Another one might get our business the next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Julie-K-Wisconsin,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us. We value your feedback.

We take great satisfaction in providing a cornucopia of delicious dining options and in the comfort of our luxurious guestrooms.

I would like apologize for the inconvenience of our pools being closed, and re-assure you that our pools are completely safe, and are undergoing mechanical update. We had every intention of having the pools open during your stay; however that was a goal we were unable to realize.

I hope we will have the opportunity to host your vacation again. Please contact me at 800.772.1000 if you would like to discuss your previous stay in more detail.

In Service,
Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had a $240 room and I expected something better than average.This was a basic room. The grounds were very pretty and spead out. There was a wedding reception in a tent in front of our building and the DJ was VERY loud until 11:30 PM. If you stay here, specify a room far away from any parties.

The grounds are spead out and pretty. We had a $240 room, and it was just a basic room. We expected something alittle nicer. There was a wedding reception in a tent in front of our building and the DJ was VERY loud until 11:30 PM. If you go here, specify a room far away from any parties.

Dear David R,

Thank you for choosing The Abbey Resort on your recent visit to Fontana. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the area.

We take great pride in keeping our grounds beautiful no matter the season. Thank you for mentioning that you found them pleasing.

I am concerned to read about your experience with the noise from the West Shore Pavilion, because I understand that one of the things you expect most when staying at a hotel is a good night's sleep. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the noise. Although this does not change your experience, I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concerns and are addressing the issue.

I hope we have the opportunity to host your stay the next time you decide to visit Geneva Lake.

Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

Pleasantly surprised after having read some of the reviews. We arrived early and there was a room ready for us - we were asked if we wanted 1st or 2nd floor and we chose 2nd. We faced the harbor and were able to "attend" three weddings from our balcony viewing the gazebo. Everywhere we went the staff was friendly and accomodating. We didn't leave the resort and ate at the Waterfront and the Fontana Grill. The food wasn't exceptional, but it was good. At the Waterfront I would suggest sandwiches or burgers - I ordered a steak and it really wasn't that great. The beds were very comfortable and the room clean. We were so happy that there was an adult pool - only problem is that they could have used some more chairs, which they did have room for.

Dear Centanni,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable weekend.

We take great satisfaction in providing a friendly and knowledgeable staff, a wide array of menu items in both restaurants, and a warm and relaxing guestroom.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your steak; I would like to apologize and let you know that I’ve asked our chef to look into your experience.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope you find time to visit us again in the near future.

melrose park
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Let me start with the good. The grounds are spacious and lovely and the marina is nice.There are two outdoor pools and 1 indoor.It was nice having an adult pool and a family pool. The fmily pool has a lot for kids to do. This leaves the adult pool for swimming.
The rooms and facility was clean. The beds were comforable but could not sleep because the walls are paper thin and we could hear the people talking next door all night.This was during the week days and the building we were in was not filled but they put all the guests at one end.
When we checked in,we were not told that we were on the second floor and that there was no elevator.We had to carry our bags up the stairs. We were not offered help. We are senior citizens and 1 of us walks with a brace on the leg. This was difficult.
We informed the desk of this when we checked out but it didn't seem to matter. They said that some buildings do have an elevator but not all. I guess people need to ask if you need an elevator to get to an upper floor. This was an unpleasant stay and would not come back.
They need to do something about customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room or a building that has an elevator
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Shushu98,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. We value all feedback whether positive or negative.

I would like to thank you for your praise of our multiple outdoor pools, the cleanliness of our grounds, and the cleanliness of your guestroom.

I would also like to apologize to you for the lack of forethought on the part of our front desk associates. They should have noticed your group’s mobility challenges and placed you in a room that would have better suited your needs. Your comments have been discussed with the proper departments and we have focused some additional training in the area of “Guest Expectations”.

Thank you again for choosing The Abbey Resort. I hope that you will find your next visit with us more enjoyable than your last. If I can be of any assistance, please call 800.772.1000 so I can ensure your next stay exceeds your expectations.

In Service,
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We've spent a lot of time in Lake Geneva and have stayed in quite a few hotels. I had never really looked into the Abbey until last week when I wanted to surprise my wife with a quick weekend getaway with spa treatment. Wow, was it nice. All of the resorts around lake geneva generally have the same look and feel.... spread out and maze-like - the rooms have the lodgy feel. But, these were nicely updated and very clean. I like that more and more hotels are pulling the tubs and installing nice tile walk-in showers like these.

The spa was really nice. My wife had a massage which entitled her to use the facility the rest of the day, and for 25 bucks ( without a treatment ) I could use it as well. There's a nice sized adults only pool with lanes and hot tub, seperate locker rooms with suana, steam room, showers... relaxation room with a fireplace. I spent the day doing the steam room, sauna, hot tub rotation with a nap in between. Very peaceful and relaxing.

We'll be back for sure.

1 Thank Lab24e
Dear Lab24e,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Abbey Resort. I was pleased to read that your time with us was peaceful and relaxing.

We take great pride in the cleanliness of our luxurious guestrooms and in the pampered relaxation of our Avani Spa.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. I hope we have the pleasure of hosting your next weekend getaway.

Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Let me start by saying this was not a choice for our stay but a business planned trip. I was pleasantly surprised by how beautiful the resort was. It was quite large, but once you knew where things were it did not feel all that large. The rooms were very nice and the view of the harbor was relaxing. The resort had everything we needed, pool, spa, workout area, restaurants, bar and outdoor enjoyment. There was nothing left to want. Within walking distance there is good food and lively bar life if you just wanted to step away and enjoy. There was even ares for a camp fire.

We did not eat there, so I can not comment on the foord but I can say we will be going back. As for things to do, there was not much in Fontana but Lake Geneva was a short dirve away. I would recommend coming here for a relaxing retreat getaway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DMGWisconsin
Dear DMGWisconsin,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that even though it was not your choice to stay with us, you found your time to be well spent.

We take great satisfaction in providing our guests with a beautiful view of the harbor, an unparalleled spa, and multiple dining options. We hope that on your next visit you have the opportunity to try one of our restaurants.

Thank you again for reviewing your stay. I hope you have the opportunity to visit with us again in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

If you are looking for a good spot to visit Lake Geneva at a reasonable price, The Abbey is worth visiting. The last time I stayed at The Abbey, I was a kid and I can tell you nothing has changed except the rooms have been upgraded. If you are looking for a five star resort, this is not the place. If you are looking to have a nice time with family in a simple place, The Abbey is a good choice. We stayed for just one night and I had to attend a business session hosted there on the second day. It is a slight drive about 8 miles from downtown Lake Geneva, but it kind of feels nice to be a bit secluded in Williams Bay/Fontana On The Lake. If you get bored, walk along the lake, it is a decent path.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BillySOS
Dear BillySOS,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us. We were pleased that you found your stay with us to be a good value and a great time.

We take great pride in a staff that provides excellent service, a family friendly atmosphere, and in our proximity to Lake Geneva while being just far enough away.

If you plan on walking the lake path on your next visit, please schedule a time with our shuttle service to pick you up at one of the many public access points to the path. That way you can walk twice as far and see twice as much.

I hope you have the chance to visit us again soon.

Guest Service Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#9 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Inns Of Geneva National
Inns Of Geneva National
#11 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!