“Not that great! - Oconomowoc, WI”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Reviewed January 5, 2008

I am not that pleased with the Abbey. My husband and I were just there for New Years eve 2007-2008. We only stayed one night, and believe me, that was enough! When we arrived, everything seemed ok. Although, was not as nice inside as I thought it was going to be. When entering the room, I noticed that it seemed a little small and then I realized that we did not have a view like I requested. So we then called and were moved to another room with more of a lake view. (Even though it was winter, it was still nice.) Anyway, we were starving b/c we did not have time to stop for lunch. So I was looking for a vending machine to grab a quick snack from before we headed to the spa for our massages. Could not find a vending machine to save my life. The funny thing was, that I was not the only one on a mission to find one. I passed two other upset people. I finally asked and was directed to walk another mile to the nearest one!

When we got to the spa, it was not at all what I expected! In the massage room, it looked dirty, the sheets felt cold and damp, and there were cracks in the rugs and ceilings and walls! Good thing the light went off so that I could not see it anymore! After the massage I went into the pool area, and that seemed nice. But then I went for a pedicure and could not believe how FILTHY it was in there and how it was falling apart! We spent over $450 for that spa day and IT WAS NOT WORTH IT~!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been at better spas in a cave up in the mountains of CO.!!

The worst is yet to come! The concierge was rude to us when asking what else may be going on around the area that she may know about. She seemed to not want to help us when we mentioned that we were eating dinner off site for New Years and not spending another $400 for their party. I was a little angry with that.
When we got back to our room that night, the bed seemed a little soft for our taste, and we were then woken up in the middle of the night by a bunch of drunk single guys in the room next door. The walls were paper thin and I could hear every word that they said. We called the front desk twice and the 2nd time we over heard the security laughing with them about having to go to their room again and this time it was at 5AM!!! They partied from 2:30am until 6:15AM!!! I AM NOT KIDDING! I realized it was New Years Eve, but that was what I would expect at the damn Super 8 Motel on New Years!! I then was very upset with the Manager at the front desk when we were checking out. He acted like a complete jerk about us complaining about the loud party that went on ALL NIGHT LONG! He just said, well I am sorry but that can happen sometimes on New Years! They cared more about their partying guests who probably trashed their rooms then they did about a married couple on a night away from their kids who just dropped $700 at their resort!!!!!!

Never Again!
Needless to say, NOT VERY IMPRESSED!

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank m0m_0f_three
There are newer reviews for The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa

Reviewed December 23, 2007

As we speak my family and I are enjoying our stay at the Abbey resort in Fontana, Wisconsin.
This is our second stay in the course of one week.
On both occassions we had enjoyed the delicious Saturday night prime rib and crab leg buffet in the Fontana Grill. A must have.
The staff, no matter where we went (restaurant, pool, etc.) was extremely friendly.
I agree with another writer who said, get a room on the second floor of the resort. The rooms have vaulted ceilings with wooden beams and a southhampton decor.
I would recommend this resort for honeymooners.
It is about an hour and a half drive from Chicago, IL.
If there is anything bad that I could say about the resort it would be don't go in the winter time. We are here and it is December. Granted they have weekend activities going on indoors; but from what I am reading in their guest book ther is a whole lot more to do in the summer.
The resort has a number of pools to go too. You must make a reservation to have some services done in the Fontana Spa; that pool is magnificient.
You can go into Lake Geneva proper and shop, rent boats and ski-doos.
Please do enjoy this resort because it is well worth it.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank justme56
Reviewed December 8, 2007

My husband, small son (15 months) and I did a two-night getaway in October and chose the Abbey primarily because of the availability of childcare and children's activities. Got a good rate for the room (159/night) and everything went smoothly, from calling for the reservation, to check in, to arrival at the room. They gave us exactly the type of room requested, and although it was a non-water view, hence the lower rate, they did give us an upper-floor room with a lovely courtyard view as I requested. Plus, we were near the spa.

Unfortunately due to the time of year we visited, outdoor activities are very limited. There seems to be a lot to do here over the summer and I am sure they charge significantly more that time of year. Fall is still very nice in Lake Geneva though - we did see some foliage and there are pumpkin farms and horse farms near the resort. Town is about a 15-20 minute drive. The grounds and the property are beautiful, sort of lodge-like and inviting. Although they have recently renovated it does still have a 60s-70s sort of vibe, especially in the corridors and some of the common areas. The lobby is very warm and inviting though, more Aspen-ish than Midwestern. The room itself was beautiful and comfortable and everything I hoped for - great bathroom and amenities are very nice (phone/free local, flat screen tv, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, robe, internet connection, free paper). The spa was enormous and very accessible, offering a wide range of treatment services, however, it was a bit institutional-looking and not quite as luxurious as some spas I have been to. Beautiful atrium pool area though.

We did not eat at the onsite restaurants but did order room service dinner the first night - food was above average, not exquisite but more than adequate (a bit expensive in relation to quality, even allowing for room service markups). There is a Starbucks on the property so we were appropriately caffeinated throughout the trip.

Our son loved exploring the indoors of resort and happily, the stairs located all over resort are very low-lying and wide, so having recently learned to walk, he could easily navigate around and actually learned to do DOWN stairs while we were on this trip. As mentioned we chose the Abbey for child care availability and their activities center is very child-oriented. During the "season" they have a day camp for kids and they also had a day care center open during our stay, for half-days. We used the babysitting service so my husband and I could to out to dinner. It worked out very well. $8/hr fee charged to room, 3 hr minimum. The sitter arrived promptly and immediately started playing with our son as we filled out the minor paperwork they required. The sitter was great with him and she even left us a thank-you note.

If you are going to Lake Geneva area most B&Bs there and even the luxury type places (Grand Geneva et al) are very COUPLES oriented. This place caters to families, of all types, but I think couples would be very comfortable here too. I can't think of a single bad thing to say. Staff was uniformly excellent.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Missus_V
Reviewed October 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed for a week at the Abbey and we were impressed by the comfortable beds and the quiet evenings. I'm afraid that was the best thing about it. The staff seem fairly friendly, but when we left a message for the concierge to help us find a bowling alley, our request went unanswered. The food at the resort is (not surprising) pretty uninteresting and very expensive for the quality.
The best meal we had for the entire week was at Cafe Calamari in Williams Bay. The spa prices are outrageous and you have to pay $20 just to use the excercise room.
Probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2007

Stayed one night at the famous Abbey resort. All around it was an "average" $200/night type of resort. It has just undergone a $40 million renovation & it shows. The front desk staff were very professional and a pleasure to deal with (with one exception, more later) My only two complaints are about the waitstaff at the the restaurant Porto and with one front desk clerk in the middle of the night.

Went to the restaurant Porto for dinner and had an all around nice time except for the server we had. She was a "decent" server, but extremely unprofessional and not at all suited for this type of dining envrionment. She would have been perfect working in a TGIF, I say that in all seriousness - not in jest. I spent $200 on dinner and while it was very tasty and very good I was very disspointed in the service I received.

None of the pop machines worked in the entire place! I had to go in the middle of the night to the front desk and request a bottle of water. The gentleman that "helped" me was quite rude when I told him that none of the machines were working due to them being out of stock or that they would not accept money.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank XJ650Rocks!
Reviewed September 9, 2007

My family and I had a wonderful time. Especially my two little boys enjoyed the out door pools very much. I recommend this hotel very much to families.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Christusvictor
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We arrived at the Abbey on Friday afternoon with great anticipation.
The appearance of the property (overall) is very nice and well kept.
Our King Room was decorated very nice, but was quite small for the price.

We had a rehearsal dinner (for a wedding) on Friday evening and the waitress was frazzled and uncoordinated. We had to ask the dining room manager to bring out an entree and sides.

Saturday morning breakfast buffet was mediocre at best. We cannot imagine paying $23 for the Sunday Brunch!

The concierge was rude to several individuals in our party.

We received an unfriendly voicemail (late saturday, while we were at the wedding) indicating that my credit card had NSF. This was completely untrue, as they used the card at checkout with no issue. This was quite rude/annoying.

Overall, I would not suggest this property and we will avoid future visits.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank Salty13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
Lake Lawn Resort
Lake Lawn Resort
#1 of 7 in Delavan
Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!