“Relaxing spa getaway”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Mesa, Arizona
“Relaxing spa getaway”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My sister and I took a short getaway trip to the Abbey Resort and Spa. The accomodations were lovely and we had great outdoor space right outside our room. The resport is obviously not new but very well maintained and up to date. The beds were wonderful and the bathroom was beautiful and spacious. We had spa services scheduled both days of our trip. the spa is lovely, relaxing and fun. I would recommend this resort to anyone staying in the Lake Geneva area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
JohnatTheAbbey, Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear Kbaz_11,

I would like to thank you very much for posting a review about your recent stay with us.I am delighted that you had a chance to visit and relax in our beautiful Avani Spa. Our goal is to have everyone relax and enjoy the tranquility as much as you were able to.

It is quite an honor to have you travel all the way from Arizona to visit us and we hope that you will be able to visit us again in the very near future.

Management Representative

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I recently spent 3 days at the Abbey Resort for a strategic planning meeting for my company. I wasn't sure what to expect since I had not been there since mid-1980s for another business meeting. Wow I was very pleasantly surprised how well the property has held-up.

The rooms were definitely updated and spacious. The food was fabulous.....especially the Fontana Grill. Best salmon dish I have had in a long-time.

I want to especially single out the Avani Spa. The staff was very nice and the facilities definitely put the guest into a calm and relaxed setting. The workout and cardio room was stocked with well-maintained equipment. The locker rooms were very nice and spacious. The pool area had a very comforting atmosphere....especially early morning before the sun rose and in the evening. That had to be the BEST whirlpool bath I have been in for years...and I travel alot and use alot of hotel fitness facilities.

I had had an especially stressful 2nd day of my meeting and made an appointment for a massage at the Avani. Peggy was wonderful and really helped workout the tension in my muscles.

I am definitely planning to take my wife back to the Abbey sometime over the next year for a relaxing get-away weekend. It is a great year-round facility. So glad it has still held it's value all these years and the upgrades made in recent years are appreciated.

Thanks again for a great stay!

Rick C.
Evansville, IN

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Rick C,

What a pleasure it was for us to read your review about your recent stay here at the Abbey Resort and Spa. We love hearing stories about past guests who come back to visit and are just as satisfied as they were on their first visit. Thank you for the compliment.

We are delighted to read about how much that you enjoyed the Avani Spa. It truly is a spectacular facility. We will make sure to let Peggy know about your rave review about the massage that she provided. We will be looking forward to having your wife join you on your next visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Been "up to the lakes" often through the past forty years but nothing compares
to the Abey Resort! Great weekend events: Lions Club Lobster Boil, bloody marys
at Chucks, bbq at Burning Down the Docks at Abbey Marina! The outdoor pool service
kept us in beers all afternoon. Not moving the car for three days is always a good thing...

Room Tip: "The closer the pool the sooner the beer!"
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
JohnatTheAbbey, Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Dear IllinoisN,

Thank you very much for posting a review on your recent stay at the Abbey Resort and Spa. It sounds as though you had a wonderful visit and we are delighted to read this.

We strive to have every guest experience as much fun as you did, We hope that you will be able to visit us again in the near future.

OSKALOOSA
Reviewed September 23, 2011

The Abbey's location and grounds are wonderful. We were greeted with happy and friendly faces from the valet, bellmen, front desk staff, and the cleaning crew. They were very efficient. We were there to golf for three days so we spent very little time actually at the resort. Golf was wonderful. We highly recommend Geneva National Golf Club and Hawk's View Golf Club. We enjoyed the restaurants especially the Waterfront Bar and fire pit as it was chilly during our stay. We watched some football in the bar because we could not get an ESPN channel in our room. The drinks and food were great. There were three of us so the harbor view room that we had seemed very small. The beds were wonderful. The bathroom has been updated but for three women getting ready in the morning very small. The coffee pot placed in the bathroom is inconvenient but a necessity for a coffee drinker like me. Enjoyed the accessibility of having a small frig and microwave in the room. The Avanti pool area is beautiful and enjoyable. We all had massages which were wonderful and overshadowed the dirty whirlpool in the spa area. We used the whirlpool in the pool area. We also enjoyed the pool area in the resort. Very clean and well managed. This resort is a little pricey for the deluxe rooms offered BUT the resort offers so many activities for families it is well worth the money. It is a safe, beautiful property. We enjoyed our stay at Lake Geneva. I want to bring my husband back next year.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
JohnatTheAbbey, Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2011
Dear pakRfn62,

I want to thank you for sharing your observations regarding your recent trip to the Abbey Resort and Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Providing gracious hospitality is our goal each and every day.

It would be our pleasure to host you again in the future. We have been receiving more and more visitors from Iowa recently and it is an honor to serve them.

Orland Hills, IL
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We stayed at the Abbey Resort for one night on Sept 10th as it was our anniversary weekend. After some shopping in downtown Lake Geneva, we took the 15-20 minute drive to the Abbey Resort. I was so excited to get to the resort because I had heard so many nice things about it. Upon arrival, the front desk said that we had been upgraded to a villa at no charge. My husband and I were surprised and graciously accepted. After a short drive around the resort, we finally found the villa assigned to us. When we entered, we realized that it was a condo that could fit an entire family. My husband and I thought the other had arranged this and that is when we called the front desk. Since the villa is not attached to the resort (or the restaraunts, spa, etc) and not what our reservation was made for back in February, we wanted a different room. The girl at the front desk said that there were no other rooms. My husband pointed out that we had made the reservation back in February and we would like a Harborview room as reserved. After a few minutes on hold, she said she found a room for us and to come back to the front desk to exchange keys. When my husband went in to get the room key, the girl at the front desk said that no one has ever turned down a $600 a night villa. My husband's response was 'that is not what we reserved and we do not have the kids'. After finally getting to our room (building 5, 2nd floor, end) we had a beautiful view of the harbor. There was also a gazebo and a wedding setting up. We had reservations at the Fontana Grill at 5pm and the staff was friendly and ready for the dinner crowd. The food was great - my husband has the prime rib buffet and I had crab cakes (small plate). I liked the menu options as they had small plates for those of us to don't like to overstuff ourselves. We were seated by the window with a few of the harbor and the wedding that was now taking place. After dinner, we went on a sunset horseback ride at Fantasy Hills Ranch which was great. The girls at the front desk weren't even able to give us directions but thanksfully, I had printed some out before we left home. The ride started out at sunset and ended by moonlight - very romantic. Back to the resort for a visit to the indoor pool and hot tub. After a short swim, I wanted some coffee from the Cafe but it was closed. The wonderful lady at the Fontanta Grill - her name was Laurie (I can't recall her last name) - said to come into the restaraunt and someone will get our drinks. She was super friendly and knowledgable about Lake Geneva. She informed us that the lake was 22 miles all around but you could walk halfway which is about where all the shops are and take the shuttle back to the resort. Sunday was our relaxation day! We received breakfast vouchers for the Fontana Grill with our package and that was plenty. The food did not dissapoint again and was presented beautifully. The potates are delicious. We took a walk around the harbor before heading to the Avani Spa. The resort fee of $12 covers our use of the spa and it was well worth it. The dressing area, showers and bathrooms are well kept and very nice. There is a hot tub on the women's side of the area. There were several flavored waters available to use while in the spa (one with cucumbers, one with strawberries). When you walk into the area where the aerobic pool is, you can tell it is a spa in every connotaion. There was a place to get coffee, tea and juice. Some tables were set-up if you choose to order in food which we did as our spa appoints were at 2pm to take advantage of the 25% discount. We swam in the lap pool, read our books by the pool, layed outside by the cabanas to catch some sun before our massages. They have full amenities to use during and after your shower which includes shampoo, conditioner, lotion, deodarant, combs, Qtips. The waiting area befor your appointment is cozy and relaxing with a fireplace. The massage was much needed and a great way to end our trip. To me the weather was not warm enough to swim outside but the pools did look nice - one was for adults and the other was for kids with a water slide and basketball hoops. We may bring the kids back with us next time.

Room Tip: Harborview rooms on the second floor have a nice view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Seascape9,

It was a pleasure to read your review of your recent vacation at our resort. We are always thrilled when we receive such positive feedback.

I am so happy that you were able to experince the Avani Spa. It is truly a relaxing getaway from the stress of everyday life. I will make sure to share your praise with Lori from whom you received such wonderful service. She delights in serving our guests. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Illinois City, Illinois
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I just returned from our first stay at the Abbey. My parents stayed many times over the years and highly recommended it. I don't know why it took us so long to take their advice. We have always preferred to stay right in downtown Lake Geneva. There is no comparison to the experience of staying at the Abbey - and we didn't even partake of the spa. We originally made a reservation for one night - a Sunday - to take advantage of the "hot dates" special with reduced price rooms. We decided we would like to stay Saturday night also and were put on a waiting list. We were fortunate to get the room for Saturday night as the hotel was packed with about 1000 - very loud - women attending a retreat. Our room was a harbor view King in building 5 on the 2nd (top) floor. We had a very high King bed - almost need a step stool to get in, but very comfortable sleeping. There is also a sitting area with sleeper sofa, coffee table and desk. The room also included a small refrigerator and microwave tastefully hidden in the dresser. The coffee maker was in the bathroom. This is not the first time we have stayed in a hotel with the coffee maker and cups in the bathroom. This really does not appeal to me. The first thing I did was put the coffee maker on the desk where there was plenty of room for it and our snacks/wine. I very much appreciated the glass coffee mugs and beverage glasses. I hate drinking out of styrofoam so appreciated this nice touch. We also had a beautiful view of the harbor and enjoyed sitting out on the shared balcony. There appears to be a table and 2 chairs for every other room. Don't know how this works in the busy summer months, but we did not have to share as the people next to us never came outside. The grounds that the room overlooks are absolutely beautiful. I can't say enough about the view. Huge willow trees, with squirrels, ducks and seagulls, a small beach and gazebo where a young couple was married on Saturday afternoon. There is a sidewalk that takes you along the lake, into the restaurants and around the resort. The pools were very nice. There was a small wading pool, family pool and adult pool as well as a hot tub. There are attendants at the pool who open the gate and make certain guests leave their towels in the pool area. At one point, there was a baptism taking place in the family pool of participants of the womens' retreat. It was actually very nice and I don't think disturbed anyone.

The indoor pool is also very nice and clean. There is also a small indoor wading pool with slide for the little ones as well as a hot tub. There is a hall way of game tables with board games. No one was playing as it was so nice outside, but I'm sure they are used on rainy days and in the winter. The arcade is huge and there is also a pool table. There is an adorable movie theater that was showing kids movies. The attendant was very sweet as we questioned her about the weekend movies. There is also popcorn available in the ice cream parlor. My husband had some and said it was very good. The young man working there was also very personable. The gift shop was wonderful! My Mom always enjoyed all the shops at the Abbey. Now there is just one, but whatever you are looking for, forgot at home or feel like snacking on - is there. My favorite sandals were there. My Mom and Dad came to visit on Sunday and I was able to get her a pair. There weren't many left to choose from as I made the mistake of telling some of the retreat women how comfortable they were and watched as they snatched them up. There is clothing, swim suits, wine, ice cream, gift items, snacks and so much more. As far as hotel gift shops go, this one shines. I recommend lunch or dinner at the Waterfront and breakfast in the Fontana Grill. The margaritas at the Waterfront are also excellent. My sister had a blood mary that she said was outstanding.

There is so much to do at the Abbey, there is really no reason to leave. They have bicycles available which are free to use (included in the $12 resort fee). There is a craft/activity room for the little ones at Rainbow Point. As we left today, there was going to be outside games. Saturday night there was a bonfire with marshmallows to roast. Karaoke was in the large white tent to the right of the hotel. We enjoyed listening to the "singers." There is also frisbee golf available. As I didn't use the spa, I can't review it, but did see the private cabanas adjacent to the spa. I heard rave reviews about the spa pool. I thought $60 was steep for a pedicure, but could have had 20% off with our hotel package. I do plan to use the spa on a future visit. There is a large park and beautiful beach within walking distance from the resort. The beach is free if you stay at the resort. There is boat rental at Gordy's as well as food at both Gordy's and Chucks also within walking distance of the resort. We enjoyed the food at the Abbey and even though we checked out the menus at Gordy's as well as a diner across the street (can't recall the name) we found the ambiance as well as the food very enjoyable at the Abbey. We were supposed to get a free appetizer with entree at the Waterfront for each night we stayed, but did not receive it at check in. Molly at the front desk gave us free breakfast at the Fontana Grill instead the morning we left. We were happy with the trade!

One of the reasons we chose to stay at the Abbey is that we are looking for a place to stay with our family next summer. For years we have stayed for about a week at another resort in Lk. Geneva. We are happy to say we will be staying at the Abbey next summer. Jose graciously took us around the resort, showing us many of the villas as well as other room options for our family. He could not have been nicer or more accommodating. He is a wonderful reflection of the Abbey. We had previously arranged with the concierge to have a tour today at check out, but mentioned it to the front desk on Sunday evening and stated we preferred to see the villas on our last night. Jose offered to show us around. We learned so much about the Abbey and feel we can make an informed decision as to where we want to stay next year. Emily at the front desk was also gracious and friendly. I would also like to commend Molly who was at the front desk this morning. Just about everyone we met associated with the resort was professional as well as friendly. Our only negative was when we asked to have our room cleaned on Sunday morning as we were expecting my parents and sister and brother in law. I was excited to show my Mom our room as it has been many years since they stayed at the Abbey. When we asked the housekeeper if she would clean our room right away, she said, "No." I called the front desk to explain our needs. The person I spoke to apologized and said they were trying to get the rooms ready for the next large group which we found out were not coming in until Monday. So, we waited 2 more hours to have the room cleaned and my parents never did get to see the room. Other than that, our stay was exceptional. I can't wait to return. I think a winter visit will be wonderful. I highly recommend building 5, harbor view King.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not connecting. We were kept awake by the retreat women next door. I think...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Illinois1,

We love to read a review that starts off with a description like yours. It is our sincere goal to provide 5 star service to each and every one of our guests. We are thrilled when we receive such positive validation from our guests.

People do rave about our beautiful spa facilities and we hope that on your next trip that you will be able to spend more time there. Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you in the future.

Chicago
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This past July I spent a night at the Abbey for my brother's wedding. We (the wife and 2 little kids) got a basic room with 2 queen beds, facing a parking area. First, it should be noted that these rooms feel a little old. They give you the impression of converted motel rooms (in that there is an exterior and interior door, as well as an in-wall air/conditioner). However, they are nicely appointed, clean, and the bathroom is updated, also clean, and nice (but at the price per night, it had better be). The rooms had flat screen TV's.

The property itself has lots of nice pools and amenities (including an indoor pool which looked big and well kept). Its also located in Fontana, on the quiet west side of Lake Geneva.

We tried room service and the food was quite good, better than I expected.

Other than its dated feel, I'd feel pretty good bringing my family back here for a weekend.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ajreina
Dear ajreina,

I want to thank you for posting a review about your recent visit to the Abbey Resort and Spa. We receive many compliments about our location on the "quiet" end of Lake Geneva.Our guests are truly relaxed when they stay here.

It was a pleasure to read about how much you enjoyed our amenities and by the fact that you would like to return to stay with us again. Most of our guests are repeat visitors and we are very proud of this.

Management Representative
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
Cove of Lake Geneva
Cove of Lake Geneva
#7 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!