“Beats the crap out of Starbucks”
Review of Commonwealth Coffee Co. & Deli - CLOSED

Commonwealth Coffee Co. & Deli
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Cafe
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

While I still enjoy a good French Vanilla Frappé at Starbucks, I have to say that Commonwealth has upped my standards of a coffee place in Fond du Lac. My favorite drink is the Caramel Macciato. It is sooooo good. The overall atmosphere is hard to beat in this small city and I can tell that the young staff is trying their best.
It does take a little longer to get your coffee (but it is AWESOME when you get it), and one time my friend's was not that hot once (turns out their coffee maker was not working well that day). He just brought it up to the counter and she gladly warmed it up again and apologized for the inconvenience. That was the only maybe negative experience I've had personally.

They also serve awsome muffins, ice cream, shakes, teas, and breakfast sandwiches. If you are around downtown FDL, make a coffee stop here. Price is a little cheaper than Starbucks, but not much. It is definitely a better experience than Starbucks tho.

The best part of Commonwealth is the fact they give back a percentage of their profits back to the community in the form of donations to various organizations. I would rather put my money somewhere where I know it will be used to help others in my community - and get good coffee at the same time!

1  Thank Marinesister71

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I was very hopeful about the new coffee shop/cafe in town, but I was not pleased with my drink or the drink my friends got. Maybe a good place for a sandwich, but if you are just going for coffee you might want to rethink it.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Starbucks is dead to me.

Commonwealth is a much needed breath of fresh air in downtown Fond du Lac. It's a progressive business model, giving much back to the community. It is in the ground floor of a newly built housing project, in a 'hidden gem' type of location. Beside the river, and walking distance to shops on Main Street, a business like this is so badly needed in Fond du Lac.

The sandwiches are classic and simple, but they use the highest quality components, making them stand well above other local restaurants. As a coffee shop, they've cultivated a place that is conducive to studying, working, or hosting a small meeting. The flavor of their espresso drinks is fantastic, and their coffee is literally the best in town. The Milwaukee Blend lighter roast is a thing to be craved. And lastly, they have Mighty Leaf Tea. No one around here has Mighty Leaf. If you are not an herbal tea drinker, this will convert you for life. It's like tongue kissing an angel.

Possible Cons: Their staff is young, although super friendly. Subsequently it's personable, hometown service, but it's a slower and more disjointed than we've become accustomed to in a faster paced world. I much prefer this over the monotony of Starbucks, though I can see how it would be frustrating for someone rushing through the drive through.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I've tried this place a couple times now and may wait a bit to try again. Plus side- good meats and cheeses for sandwiches, open on Saturday afternoons and Sundays, cute decor. Minus side- slow service especially in drive-thru, young and inexperienced staff, a bit pricey for a lunch, poor information on the website.

If time over a lunch hour is tight or you have a group of 6 or more, try elsewhere downtown.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I met two cousins at Commonwealth on a Saturday afternoon for drinks and food. The building is located just one block off of main street on a one-way road. The decor is very cool - rustic meets industrial. Old barn boards and lots of metal. The young employees were very helpful and willing to make a custom tea latte that I requested. My cousin complained that there was too much foam (steamed milk) on the top of her drink. The drink prices were comparable to other coffee shops.

The menu has many gluten-free items available. GF chips, meats, dressings, and even bread although it's not listed on their menu. You just have to ask! I ordered a Chef Salad which was very fresh and a large enough portion to be a significant dinner. I thought the price on the salad was a little high at $8. Other than that, I have no complaints.