It's been awhile since I've stayed in a Whyndham property, and I was a bit hesitant about booking here. The price was right, and I really only needed to sleep and shower there. I was greeted when I arrived the first night by the night clerk. She was very nice, and efficient with her work. Now, I requested a room on the 2nd floor. When I got to my floor, I could smell the lingering smell of smoking. It wasn't very pleasant. I walked into my room, and was greeted by a nice big black bug on the ceiling. I took one look at the bedding, and all I could think about was how much bleach it would need to get it white again. I went to the bathroom, and I found the bath tub to be quite dirty. Of course, they did not offer a bath mat, so I would put a hand towel down on the tub.
They offered a continental breakfast, but I didn't take advantage of it as I would sleep through the times. I couldn't help it as my neighbors kept me up half the night. At first, I thought maybe the room next door was the employee lounge. There was people in and out of the room at all hours of the night. It was somewhat creepy.
Now, I was surprised I had to ask for shampoo the next day. The person who had cleaned my room had not supplied me with new shampoo. I know these hotels run on the bare minimum. There was no hair dryer to use, either.
The room was small, but that didn't bother me too much. I was going to try the wi-fi, but I decided not to. The room's decor was rather outdated. It was pretty sad. Plus, the bed I was sleeping in had a popped spring. A new mattress is needed.
I stayed here for four nights. I could not wait to check out. Though, I was pleasantly surprised when I returned on Friday night. The room was cleaned. The bathtub scrubbed down. Plus, I could tell I got new bedding. So kudos to the crew member with the name that starts with N. She did a great job. I hope her co-workers follow her lead.
If I do find myself in Fond Du Lac again, I'm definitely going to check out other hotels to avoid the Microtel. I can only hope that things get better there.
I understand that you get what you pay for. I wasn't expecting a big room or an updated one either. But I do expect it to be clean. This was not at all. All the sheets and towels had a yellow hue to them. Bathroom had traces of mold and a dirty floor. The bed was hard as a rock. I would never stay here ever again and I'm just glad I got out with out any bed bugs. The free breakfast in the morning was also a joke. It's like they had some extra space they decided to serve some small muffins and pieces of bread and call it a complimentary breakfast.
We got to hotel around 9 pm, we got two rooms for two nights, one of which wasn't clean when we got to it, we called down to front desk and told them 2nd room wasn't clean, they would send someone to clean it right away. Got something to eat, checked 2nd room hour later, still not clean. Stayed in one room 1st night. It's a non-smoking hotel but rooms and hallways smelled of stale smoke. 2nd night, 2nd room was bad, smelled like cleaning staff was smoking while they were working. Pillows are tiny, bed is lumpy. Bad all the way around. Plus the rate advertised on line isn't what you get when you check in. It was way more which was a disappointment.
This was our second choice (our first choice motel in the area was full). The room rate here, though, was lower than our first choice. The cyclone fenced pipeline field on the entrance street to the motel (with concrete blocks and warning signs about no cigarettes, no open fires, gas under high pressure, etc., made us a little nervous. The streetlights on the entrance road are dark, making it hard to find at night. The room was clean. Second night we had no clean washcloths and the desk clerk wasn't available right away (housekeeping staff hadn't shown up so he had to do the laundry). We breakfasted out -- the breakfast provided wasn't so appealing. One towel, small to begin with, had about 3 inches trmmed off of one end. Slept well -- a nice "cheap sleep." We didn't know, weren't told whether there was a fitness room, would have used it if we'd known.