“Slow Food Wisconsin”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Milwaukee, WI
“Slow Food Wisconsin”
Reviewed January 30, 2011

My husband & 2 kids stopped at Bellafini's on a Friday night on our way to Oshkosh. I selected this place based on TripAdvisor reviews. The food was delicious. The atmosphere was magical, especially as it started to snow while we were eating. This is a small place that is easy to miss. My husband had the Shrimp Diablo. I split an order of the Polpetta di manicotti with my son ($1.50 split charge). That was a smart move as they give you a lot of food here. A clue that it would take awhile to get the food probably should have been evident when we first walked in: not many people had their plates yet. So, you do have to wait a long time for your food. But, they don't let you hang. We ordered fried calamari as an appetizer. It was delicious and lightly fried. Probably the best fried calamari we've had in a long time. The soup was great, as was the bread. (The bread comes with either garlic butter or an olive spread; we requested a bit of each. Both were great.)

If you can close your eyes and pretend you're in Italy, not Fond du Lac, you'll enjoy eating at Bellafini's. Friendly staff, cozy atmosphere, excellent value, delicious food. If you're in a hurry, don't go. Wait until you have time to linger and enjoy what slow food is all about. We'd definitely go back again.

Note: We did not have reservations & arrived at 5:45 pm. It'd probably be a good idea to call ahead as I could see it could get busy. Also, kids can get antsy, so only take you're kids if they are relatively calm. Probably not the place to go with toddlers and small kids. Our were 9 and 11.

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank NThea

“Growing up with a Sicilian mother, I have...”
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Growing up with a Sicilian mother, I have learned to cook quite a bit of wondeful and authentic italian and sicilian meals. I never dreamed of finding somewhere as similar to my mothers cooking, or even my own, when I moved to wisconsin. Luckily, I found Bellafinis, such a lovely atmosphere, very quaint with great service. It is to my understanding that organization problems did occur in their first year or so of opening, but I have never had a problem since then. Everything is simply wonderful and amazingly tastey. I think I have tried AT LEAST half their dishes, all of them outstanding and authentic. If you don't mind a bit of a wait, I strongly recommend this place. Plus, give the chef a break, he does nearly everything on this own, surely because no one else can cook like he!

Appleton, WI
“Off the beaten path, but close to downtown...”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Who would have thought? After some disappointing adventures in our home town we'd find this gem in Fond du Lac. BELLAFINI's scores! Tucked away from the center of town but not too far south on Main (at 14th) is a real charmer. Start with a couple glasses of Chianti, an order of bruschetta and the house salad (dressing to die for) and you're overwhelmed by the flavors of Sicilia. Next, split a pasta dish and the romantic evening is yours.

“I am from Chicago, born and raised in an...”
Reviewed May 8, 2010

I am from Chicago, born and raised in an Italian household! I've been to Italy at least 15 times including spending my summers there as a youth! This place is fantastic! This coming from a guy who lives to eat! If I were to open my own place it would be just like bellafini's! The food was incredible and the atmosphere PERFECT! You must eat here!!!!!!

1 Thank joey8686
Fonddulac
“Delicious, romantic”
Reviewed May 1, 2010

We have spent 2 years going out to eat on Friday nights since we moved to FondduLac 2 years ago. We love all kinds of food. We are willing to pay for a great meal. We walked into Bellafini's and the place was old, but the chalkboards were cute, the cloth napkins and table cloths were pressed, the waitress was nice and appropriately attentive, the garlic bread had big pieces of roasted garlic inside, and the pizza was to die for. The tin ceiling was intriquing, the curtains were old world looking. The few well-spaced tables made it cozy and not crowded. Every table was full. We took half of our pizza home for lunch on Saturday and it was delicious then too. By far this was the best tasting food we have eaten in the last two years of eating out. We will be back.