“At the top of the Holiday Inns level of service and facilities”

Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Fond du Lac
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My wife and I arrived at the Holiday inn in Fond Du Lac on Sunday afternoon 26th January for a 3 night stay. Having read the some of the other reviews I cannot believe they are talking about the same property. We arrived in freezing cold weather and were greeted cheerily by Barbara one of the receptionist. She was a delight to talk to and we felt immediately at home. We occupied room 108 on the ground floor and it was adequate both in size and decor, also it was overlooking the swimming pool and I do mean a swimming pool, unlike many hotels where a paddling pool would be a better descriptive. Our room was very clean and also had plenty of towels etc. The ladies who cleaned the rooms were cheery and very helpful at all times and left us in no doubt that they both enjoyed and valued their jobs. We did not dine in the restaurant on the first night as we were out with friend and business acquaintances but the restaurant is now fully updated and is called Benvenutos Italian Grill. We had an excellent breakfast there on the following morning and on Monday evening my wife and I dined on Pizza and Calzone both of which were delicious.
Again on the Tuesday evening we dined there again this time with a friend and again almost all the food was delicious with one exception which was the fillet steak my wife as to be medium and it was in fact delivered very overcooked. It was taken back and replaced but again the steak was not medium it was very well done. A small problem when our stay was such a good one. I travel the world with ICH group and this was one of the best hotels and staff we have encountered with facilities and service to match.

Room Tip: Our room 108 was excellent and on the side of the pool and Holidome which was great.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Once again I have to say the staff makes my job much easier because they do care. Sorry to hear about the steak being over cooked, we will work on getting that perfected. Yes it may be an older facility but we do have a lot to offer as you mention the pool. I thank you for the very nice review and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

The fact that this hotel is rated this high is indicative of the overall lack of choices in Fond du Lac. This hotel is OLD. They have done an admirable job keeping it clean and in good condition, but the feeling of old is everywhere.

The layout of the hotel is old. It is two stories with no elevator. The layout is a maze. The second floor is not continuous around the building, so be careful which stairway you select to get to your room. The fastest way to get from the front desk to my room was literally right through the pool area. So as kids are splashing away in the pool, I am dragging my suitcase as I walk along side the pool.

The fountain in the Holidome is out of service. No big deal, but they have it filled with old towels, bed sheets, and cardboard boxes. Looks unbelievably tacky.

The room I had was small. I requested a King bed room and received a Queen bed room. The room would not have accommodated a King bed. The bathroom had a very low ceiling with a very dated blue speckled tile. Very few receptacles in the room. No electrical receptacles available at the night stand to charge your phone while sleeping.

We took advantage of the free breakfast coupon, and it was just OK. If you don't get a free coupon and have to pay, I would search out another alternative. We did not eat dinner there, so I cannot comment.

Ok, enough of the negatives and onto the positives. The hotel staff was very friendly. Possibly some of the friendliest I have ever experienced. And the room was very clean. You can tell that they do make an effort to keep the hotel in decent shape given its age. And although my review seems to focus on the negatives, I would stay here again. Just don't expect nice and new.

The Fond Du Lac hotel market is ripe for a new Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn. This place was packed with business travelers who would flock to a nice, new hotel. If this property was in any major market, it would have been closed and a HI Express built in its place.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. Yes this is a 40 year old hotel and it does show it's age. It was great to hear about our staff which I will say do really care about our guests and do a great job of cleaning and maintaining this building. We are going to be building a new Holiday Inn Express next to this current Holiday Inn which will start this summer. We hope to see you the next time you're in the Fond du Lac area.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I don't have a very high opinion of this hotel chain because over the years my experience hasn't been great.

This one is nicer than I expected. It appears to have recently been updated/redecorated.

The free breakfast buffet was terrific...eggs, bacon, pancakes, French toast, sausage, oatmeal, Danishes, bagels, fresh fruit, potatoes, breakfast sandwiches, cereal & milk.

The pool area is very nice.

Downside: housekeeping: there appeared to be toilet paper in the toilet when we arrived in our room and a piece of dirty toilet paper on the floor. Eww. I wondered if the bathroom had even been cleaned. I discovered the next morning the coffee filter was full of someone else's used coffee grounds. Yuck. The next morning when I returned after housekeeping had left I discovered that we didn't had any more toilet paper just the two little sheets stuck to the cardboard roll.

I didn't like that the doors to the housekeeping/maintenance/work areas were kept open during the day.

Room Tip: The door to room #161 doesn't close completely. Make sure you shut it firmly. Long walk to bac...
Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Pezzler
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and happy to hear you enjoyed our Holiday Inn. We have been renovating and still have more to do. These reviews are so important to our business and shared with the staff. We hope you will continue to stay with us, and we can change the way you feel about Holiday Inn's. We will take action on the items that did not meet your expectations. Thank you for the very nice review.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights just after Thanksgiving 2013. Its fairly large 2 story hotel (at least compared to others in the area) and was about 3/4 vacant during our stay. The hotel won me over with a larger than average rec area that included: a pool, hot tub, pool tables,ping pong tables,air hokey, T.V, arcade and bar area though it was not open during our stay (prob due to a lack of guests at the time). The breakfast was a self serve with several options. There is also a new Italian Restaurant in the hotel which ironically was scheduled to open the day after we checked out.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RDHone
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have a very large Indoor Recreation Area which is a great place for families to enjoy the Holidays. Thank you for the nice review and I hope you have a wonder Holiday Season.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

One year on from my first stay at this hotel I visited again. Hooray! Some improvements had been made so I felt it only fair to write an updated review to reflect the changes.

Here's what I liked in terms of improvements:
The same great service was still there, as was the warm, welcoming feeling and large, festive Christmas tree in Reception. When I saw that Dukes had gone, to be replaced by an Italian restaurant called Benvenutos I was very pleased! The bar and restaurant are a big improvement, as is the menu choice and overall atmosphere. Each meal was kicked off with complimentary focaccia bread,complete with olive oil and (quite bizarrely), a saucer of dry herbs for mixing. Not quite as it's done in Italy (at least from my experience in that country), but a huge improvement on Dukes nonetheless.

Here are the things that still need improving:
Benvenutos offers lots of very nice tables covered with white tablecloths, but why oh why cover them with white paper? They may save on the washing machine but coupled with the bright lighting they made me feel like I was a three-year-old at a birthday party. Such a shame! Sadly, the rooms are yet to be updated so I sighed when I entered my room to see the musty smell, lack of a safe, noisy and annoying heater, freezing-then-boiling air temperature and lack of power points near the bed were all still there, as yet unchanged.

Here is my top tip:
Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard for privacy. Last year I had a room overlooking the car park and nearly had a shock when I opened my curtains to see somebody getting into their truck right outside my window. This year I had been booked into a similar room, but managed to get a different room and although further to walk, I got a much nicer view and full privacy.

Overall, it was great to see investments have been made and the bar and restaurant are much better, although not authentically Italian. I hope the rooms will be updated in 2014 and the whole hotel will be much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard, not the carpark.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the nice comments. Yes we do have a new franchise restaurant in the hotel and it is a great improvement. Sorry about the paper on the tables but that is a requirement of the franchise. As for renovating the rooms, we hope to start this next year. We are very pleased that you came back this year and we hope you will see even more changes next year. Enjoy the Holidays and thank you for taking time to write a review.

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable hotel, decor a bit dated but clean. Staff is great at front desk, breakfast servers could beyou better. New restaurant and bar is very nice. Easy on / off highway. Didn't get a chance to use but pool area and exercise room looked nice.

• Stayed: December 2013
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. The new restaurant and bar are really well done and I hope you enjoyed the food. Your comment is very helpful since we have a lot of new staff with opening this new restaurant. With it being the Holiday Season I really appreciate that you took the time to write us, since it is such a busy time of year. We hope you will return soon and have a wonderful Holiday .

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We came for a one night stay to attend an antique aircraft banquet. Couldn't find a sitter for our two Newfoundlands so I was going to cancel. When I called & explained about our dogs the lady at the desk said it was a pet friendly hotel & we should bring them. Since they are so quiet and docile we decided to go for it. The staff couldn't have been better . They put us by an exit door in a really nice clean room. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

I was very pleased that you came for this banquet. Your group has been coming here for about 30 years now. I know this because I remember bartending for your group that many years ago. Yes we are a pet friendly hotel and I'm glad they got you right by an exit to walk your dogs. I've said it many times in these review and I'll say it again my staff is what makes this a great palce to stay. We are looking forward to having your group back again next year and bring your dogs as well. Again thank you for the kind review, we really appreciate it.