“Pretty As A Picture”

Thorp House Inn and Cottages
Ranked #1 of 5 Fish Creek B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 6, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Thorp House Inn while participating in the Half-Marathon which was held in Fish Creek. When we first saw the Inn with its white clapboard against the green of the forest, I thought to myself "it's even prettier than the picture on their website". (How often does that happen!) Our guest room also surpassed our expectations. The hosts were friendly and made us feel very welcome. The breakfast was good too - along with interesting people at the breakfast table. We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Thorp House Inn and Cottages

Reviewed April 10, 2009

My fiance and I stayed at the Thorp House Inn for my birthday with our discount from the Wisconsin Public Radio 2-for-1 membership card. We stayed in the 'Jessie' room, which is normally $135 or $195 a night (off and on season). I thought I'd be getting an awesome deal of $135 for 2 nights with my membercard, which is what it says in their listing. However, I was informed right away that I'd be getting charged the higher price since I had a discount card. I decided to bite the bullet-- it was my birthday, right!? When we arrived, we couldn't tell where to park. It had just snowed, and they had only shoveled just enough of the parking area to admit 2 cars. After we got inside, things got better.

Leila was our hostess. The inn owners never made an appearance, which made this experience more impersonal than any other we had had in a b&b. Don't get me wrong, she was really nice and friendly, extremely helpful, but you could tell she was doing a job. When we arrived, Leila showed us the complimentary drink area, which was a dorm fridge with 4 diet sodas in it. There was also a nicer selection of teas, hot cocoa, coffee, etc. It was all adequate, but not great. I did like that they had an assortment of wine glasses and mugs for you to take to your room, as well as can openers, bottle openers, etc.

Our room was gorgeous, spacious, very clean, and filled with items of interest. I loved the double whirlpool tub and fire place, which is used to heat the room. The tub was clean, and bath salts were replenished daily and on request (I'm a big bath person). The inn was very quiet, even though there was another couple there. I think if you are a kind of person that likes to keep to themselves, you'd like the 'hands off' kind of service they have. You can always find someone if you need them, but your not awkwardly running into them all the time.

They had a big library, with an extremely varied collection of books. They also had games, movies, and lots of brochures for you to look at if you wanted to lounge in the parlor or around the fireplace.

Breakfast was good, but the variety was lacking. We were served fruit, a cold muffin and 'scone' platter, yogurt, and granola. We were served the same tasteless scones both mornings, since no one would eat them! Although the food could have been better, I really enjoyed the setting and conversation in the breakfast area. The kitchen is really cute and cozy, and the innkeeper kept the conversation flowing with us and the other couple.

The location was really nice. We walked pretty much from one end of Fish Creek to the other, and our inn was right in the middle, but off the busy street that cuts through the downtown area. I think the location was my favorite part.

Overall, the experience was good, but I don't think I'd stay here again. They were too pricey for me, especially with the lack of a good, hot breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2009

My wife and I arranged a July 4th 2008 get together with some long time friends. We found information on the Thorp House Inn and cottages and thought this would be a quaint place to spend the holiday weekend with friends close to the conveniences of downtown Fish Creek.

I contacted the property on June 18th and spoke with a gentleman who claimed to be the owner. He informed me that there is a minimum 3 night stay on major holiday weekends but they did not have 3 nights available for 2 couples. However, there was another reservation that informed him that they would need to leave a night earlier than reserved; thereby making a 2 night stay for one of the couples a possibility. He said he would make an exception to the minimum 3 night stay because our friends were planning on staying 3 nights and one of the 2 nights my wife and I would stay at the property would actually fill the unexpected early departure; thereby keeping the Inn fully occupied through the weekend. The gentleman asked me for a credit card number and all the pertinent information that would generally be asked to apply a credit card toward a deposit. The gentleman then informed me that a check for the deposit would need to be mailed and received by the property before we arrived. I asked why the check was needed since he had my credit card information. I was told the inn didn't deal with credit cards for deposit but needed card information to cover any damage or missing items after guests checked out. This seemed unusual and irrational to me but we wanted to experience the inn so I agreed to the arrangements.

I mailed the inn the deposit on Monday June 23rd. The next day, Tuesday, June 24th, I received a voice mail from a woman representing the Thorp House Inn and Cottages stating that they will not honor the reservations because they had not received the deposit. I returned the call and spoke to the woman who left the message; explaining to her the conversation I had with the gentleman. She informed that he was her husband and he had no business making the arrangements as he did. Aside from that, she had not received the deposit. Again, I informed her that I was told the deposit had to arrive before we checked in and the deposit was mailed the day before. She informed me that I needed to assure her the check would get to the property before the following day, Wednesday. I told her that I didn't have control over how fast the U.S. Postal Service delivered mail.

That night I received a call from my friends saying they had a discouraging phone conversation with the woman from the Thorp House. As the situation evolved, my friend found out that he and his wife would not be able to stay the 3rd night because he had to be back to work. However, my wife and I had the convenience of staying an extra night to honor the arrangement made to secure the reservations.

I called the Thorp House Inn and Cottages back on Wednesday June 25th and spoke to the woman from the previous day. She acknowledged receiving my check for the deposit but stated she still could not honor our reservation because our friends could not stay the 3 nights. I informed her that my wife and I could fill that 3rd night to honor the arrangements. The woman from the Thorp House proceeded to yell at me over the phone and accuse me of trying to cheat them out of filling their Inn. I reminded her that she would not be losing any money since if we didn't honor the reservation agreement she had my credit card information to charge me for the extra night. She informed me that they don't deal with credit cards except to cover damage and missing items. Again, I did not understand this rationale. They will charge for damage and missing items but they won't charge for an early departure or no show?

It became apparent to me that for some reason the owners did not want us as their guests. As a result, they will never see us as guests nor will I recommend the Thorp House to anyone I know. My wife and I have visited the Door County area (Fish Creek) every year for the last 11 years and we have never had an experience remotely close to this level of poor customer service at any of the various B&Bs, resorts, or hotels in that area.

If you plan on visiting Fish Creek or Door County I encourage you to seek other places to make reservations if you want to assure yourself a friendly, hassle free experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank TOKIMA
Reviewed June 17, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed in Cottage #1 in June, 2008. The Thorp House consists of a main house with rooms, and is surrounded by six separate cottages. Each one is different in terms of size and price. Cottage 1, where we stayed, is the smallest and cheapest of the six, running $115 a night.

On first walking in, we both thought the cottage was very cute and were quite pleased. The kitchen area has a stove, microwave, full fridge, toaster, and coffee pot. There is a kitchen table with four chairs. This area is open to the living room area, which features a couch and a tv/dvd/vcr. There are two bedrooms. Both are pretty small, just room for a double bed and a dresser in each. However, since it was just the two of us staying there, we put all of our stuff in one room and used the other to sleep, so it wasn't a problem.

The cottage is a perfectly fine size for two people, but I wouldn't recommend any more than that (except maybe one child). The walls are thin and there are no closets, so you really need the extra bedroom to store stuff.

The location can't be beat--it is within 30 seconds to downtown Fish Creek with restaurants and shopping. Also, there is parking right in front of the cottage, so that won't be a problem.

We had two minor problems our first day, which were remedied quickly by the woman working there (I don't believe we ever met the owner, the woman who checked us in and who we saw throughout the rest of the trip said that she was hired staff). The first night, we absolutely froze, as it was cold outside and we couldn't get the ancient heater to work. When we asked about this the next day, the woman realized that the pilot light had gone out. She re-lighted it for us immediately and then everything was fine. We also had no batteries in our tv remote, which she brought out immediately.

There were a few more significant problems:
1. Internet access: The cottage is equipped with wireless--and up in the corner of the kitchen there was a wireless router. However, even though both my boyfriend's and my laptops connected to the service, it wouldn't work in terms of loading up webpages. We were able to connect to a local business down the street, but it was very slow and we could barely check our email.

2. The bathroom: This was my biggest complaint. The bathroom was very small..only room for a toilet, a small sink, and the shower (no tub). There is no counter space, so anything in terms of getting ready for the day would need to be done in one of the bedrooms. The sink must not have had hot water hooked up to it, b/c we could get nothing but cold water all four days there, which made for some very cold nightly face washing/teeth brushing. The worst was the shower--the water sprayed out all over the floor no matter what you did, so the bathroom floor was constantly soaked. You need to bring your own towels when you come here (including any kitchen or bathroom towels), and we didn't bring any to put on the floor, not that it would have helped much. Eventually I took to just putting on shoes whenever i went in to use the bathroom. Also, our towels had to be hung up out in the living room or they would never dry.

One other thing--I tried to wash some dishes when we left, but the water pressure in the kitchen was so poor that it took literally 2-3 minutes just to wash the soap off one glass. We never used the kitchen to cook, so this wasn't a big deal,but I wouldn't plan on preparing any elaborate meals here.

Overall, we were mostly pleased with the cottage and didn't regret staying there. My boyfriend said that the shower stuff didn't bother him as much, but that he did feel that $115 a night was a little much for what we got, especially since the price didn't include breakfast.

I'd say if you're looking for a decently priced, unique place to stay in Fish Creek, you'd probably be happy with this cottage, but if you are looking for something a little more luxurious, you may want to check out one of the other cottages (which i think are supposed to be nicer) or one of the rooms at the house.

I will try to post some pics of this cottage along with the review, so check those out. I will also be posting reviews of other things we did in Door County.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2008

We have stayed at the Thorp House Inn and Cottages for a number of summers. It is our "step back in time", to where the focus is on family and on simplicity. The property is rich is history, which the owners have taken great pains and expense to preserve, but at the same time, comfortable and pleasing amenities are provided that make life just grand. While the inn and cottages are the original structures, they have been lovingly and accurately restored--the furniture is gorgeous, bed linens sumptuous, water plentiful and hot, dishes elegant, decor calming. Care is always taken to improve and update without compromising charm. I am always grateful that someone treasures the past, and provides vacationers with a place where they can truly relax and lose themselves in a simpler time. The effect is magical and rejuvenating.

Everything you could want is within walking distance--the state park, a beach, bike rentals, groceries, interesting shopping, good eating. But you'll always be glad to come back up the street into the quiet and beauty here. My sons are grown--and still choose this as the place they want to be every summer.

If super-modern is your dish, then probably Door County in general is not for you. This is a special place, with rich history, the arts, breath-taking nature, and wonderful people. It's all about taking time, and leaving the complicated and stressful behind--the whole idea of vacation?

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2008

We've been visiting Thorp House Inn & Cottages since 1996 and have always had a fantastic time. We usually visit a couple times a year and wish it could be more often!

For our winter visits, we stayed at the inn where all the rooms are charming -- beautifully decorated and well appointed. Most have whirlpools and fireplaces. Family-style breakfasts in the cozy kitchen were always an entertaining time, and the hosts were accommodating to our every need.

During the summer we'd rent one of the cottages for a week and didn't want to leave. Although more casual than the Inn, the cottages are clean and well maintained.

Both properties are ideally situated in Fish Creek -- close to restaurants, shopping and parks.

We'd highly recommend both the Inn and the cottages.

Reviewed September 16, 2006

We have stayed at Thorp House cottages (and the related beach house) several times, dating back to 1992., the past several seasons in a cottage. When the time comes that we travel without children we'd like to try the main house, but with kids the cottages are a good bet.. They are a tad "rustic" - vintage stove and sink, though everything is functional. Microwave, coffee maker, cookware, plates, etc. are provided (do bring towels). The beds are up-to-date and comfortable. The outdoor furniture (table & chairs) were new this year; the old ones were showing their age. Cottages have heat and air-conditioning units, though usually in June (when we've tended to go) we don't need either. The cottages just a block off the main street in Fish Creek, but set back enough that it is quiet. Noble Square, Clark Park, Fish Creek Park, shopping and dining are all walkable. Innkeepers or staff are always available at the main house (steps away), always helpful and friendly. We've reserved for 2007 already.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Country House Resort
Country House Resort
#1 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to Thorp House Inn and Cottages? Share your experiences!