“Go elsewhere”

Ranked #22 of 33 Restaurants in Fish Creek
Chicago 'burbs
“Go elsewhere”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I spend a lot of time in northern Wisconsin and am a fan of the atmosphere and menu offerings at a typical supper club. This place, however, was terrible. My husband paid over 30 dollars for a mushy steak. I paid 20 dollars for 3 tiny pieces of fishy walleye. I love fish-- I nearly gagged on this, though. Way, way overpriced, even if the food had been decent. There are too many other good restaurants in the area to waste your time here.

5 Thank Travelinchickk

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great prime rib”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This is pretty much what you expect from a supper club. Decent steaks, good prices, old school atmosphere and huge cocktails. Did not disappoint us in the least, but we knew what to expect.
If you go someplace like this and expect nouvelle cuisine, good pasta/ Italian dishes, or a trendy atmosphere...you can expect to be disappointed.
90% of having a good experience at a restaurant is having realistic expectations and knowing what to order and how to have it cooked.

• Visited September 2010
1 Thank Angela_G1970
anne170
“Supper Clubs are a Wisconsin Institution and the Greenwood is a classic example.”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

The Greenwood may not be all spiffy on the inside, but it's a great restaurant all the same. Stick with the nightly specials as they tend to be what the restaurant does best. They are also a pretty good value. Unlike some places in Door County, the Greenwood will let you split an entree and they have a good kids menu. I visit every year and will continue in the future.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank anne170
“Excellent Wisconsin supper club”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

If you're in Door County and are looking for a prime example of a Wisconsin supper club, The Greenwood is it. Very friendly service and very good food. My wife had the prime rib special, a queen cut, and it was huge (and delicious). The tenderloin I had was cooked perfectly. A little pricier than the bar food you'll find in these little towns, but worth it.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Jswan1963
Chicago, Illinois
“Lost In Time Indeed”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

One great thing about keeping a supper club looking traditional is you never have to update the place to maintain an authentic decades old appearance. With its history dating back to 1929, the Greenwood Supper Club excels at upholding that tradition. They have dark, dreary and outdated decor in spades. I'd have felt right at home had I been decked out in my pork pie hat, short sleeve plaid shirt and continental loafers after parking the DeSoto out front. All that aside, my wife and I were here for the food.

Chicago Sun-Times critic Pat Bruno once wrote, "The Greenwood Supper Club is a restaurant lost in time". After dining there, my wife and I believe the chef's ability to properly cook a steak was also lost somewhere in time. We both ordered filet mignon cooked medium. After dealing with a salad dotted with brown lettuce and covered in onion flavored thousand island dressing, the steaks arrived. Mine was cooked past medium closer to well done. My wife's filet was absolutely murdered well past the well done zone. It was virtually blackened, which our waiter agreed with. Both cuts were similarly proportioned so we couldn't figure out how they got them so uneven and messed up. Since our time was limited we decided not to take our chances with the kitchen again and asked for a credit for my wife's charcoal mignon which was thankfully taken off of our check.

I'm not sure if this is a supper club for locals who don't know any better or tourists who don't know any better. Regardless, we now know better than to return again.

• Visited June 2011