“Great prime rib”

Greenwood Supper Club
Ranked #22 of 32 Restaurants in Fish Creek
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great prime rib”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

This is pretty much what you expect from a supper club. Decent steaks, good prices, old school atmosphere and huge cocktails. Did not disappoint us in the least, but we knew what to expect.
If you go someplace like this and expect nouvelle cuisine, good pasta/ Italian dishes, or a trendy atmosphere...you can expect to be disappointed.
90% of having a good experience at a restaurant is having realistic expectations and knowing what to order and how to have it cooked.

• Visited September 2010
1 Thank Angela_G1970

anne170
“Supper Clubs are a Wisconsin Institution and the Greenwood is a classic example.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

The Greenwood may not be all spiffy on the inside, but it's a great restaurant all the same. Stick with the nightly specials as they tend to be what the restaurant does best. They are also a pretty good value. Unlike some places in Door County, the Greenwood will let you split an entree and they have a good kids menu. I visit every year and will continue in the future.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank anne170
“Excellent Wisconsin supper club”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

If you're in Door County and are looking for a prime example of a Wisconsin supper club, The Greenwood is it. Very friendly service and very good food. My wife had the prime rib special, a queen cut, and it was huge (and delicious). The tenderloin I had was cooked perfectly. A little pricier than the bar food you'll find in these little towns, but worth it.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Jswan1963
Chicago, Illinois
“Lost In Time Indeed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

One great thing about keeping a supper club looking traditional is you never have to update the place to maintain an authentic decades old appearance. With its history dating back to 1929, the Greenwood Supper Club excels at upholding that tradition. They have dark, dreary and outdated decor in spades. I'd have felt right at home had I been decked out in my pork pie hat, short sleeve plaid shirt and continental loafers after parking the DeSoto out front. All that aside, my wife and I were here for the food.

Chicago Sun-Times critic Pat Bruno once wrote, "The Greenwood Supper Club is a restaurant lost in time". After dining there, my wife and I believe the chef's ability to properly cook a steak was also lost somewhere in time. We both ordered filet mignon cooked medium. After dealing with a salad dotted with brown lettuce and covered in onion flavored thousand island dressing, the steaks arrived. Mine was cooked past medium closer to well done. My wife's filet was absolutely murdered well past the well done zone. It was virtually blackened, which our waiter agreed with. Both cuts were similarly proportioned so we couldn't figure out how they got them so uneven and messed up. Since our time was limited we decided not to take our chances with the kitchen again and asked for a credit for my wife's charcoal mignon which was thankfully taken off of our check.

I'm not sure if this is a supper club for locals who don't know any better or tourists who don't know any better. Regardless, we now know better than to return again.

• Visited June 2011
7 Thank holleon
Midwest, USA
“Old School”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

The Greenwood Supper Club is indeed an institution. Generations have dined at the Greenwood for years. As a result, we thought we best try it after dozens of trips to Door County.

Unfortunately, the Greenwood did not live up to our expectations. We enjoy occasional visits to "old school" supper clubs, and thought we were in for a real treat. Perhaps our expectations were too high.

Upon entering the restaurant, we were greeted by a friendly bartender who made excellent cocktails at the large "old school" formica bar. After one cocktail we moved to the dining room which blinded us with bright fluorescent lights over murals of Door County scenes mixed among "old school" knotty pine paneling. As we perused the menu, a waiter more or less threw a basket of bread and a bowl of butter packets on our table. A few minutes later, he returned to take our order. The entire service was very rushed, despite the fact the restaurant was not at capacity. The seafood and steak entrees we ordered were merely status quo. I cannot believe I am about to write this, but I prepare better tenderloin on my grill at home! When we dine out, I expect the food to taste better than at home!

I really wanted to like the Greenwood Supper Club because of its legendary status in Door County. Regrettably, I cannot recommend it based on the food and service. Sorry Greenwood! I feel like I am letting down a legend!

• Visited June 2011