“One of Our Door County Favorites”

Alexander's Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 36 Restaurants in Fish Creek
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We dine at Alexander's each fall when we visit Door County and never have been disappointed. The food is excellent, the staff is very professional, and the atmosphere is quite inviting. While there are some interesting specials on the menu, we prefer local entrees such as whitefish or walley. Alexander's is much better alternative to the typical supper club. Highly recommended.

1  Thank RetiredSpanishProf

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Went here specifically for Brunch. Surprised with all the choices and variety for brunch. Made to order omelets, smoked fish, pasta dishes, garden-fresh vegetables. Nice place.

1  Thank mjfoleymd
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Went there yesterday -- first visit. My husband had the walleye pike which he said was good; but I had the whitefish supposedly broiled. I love whitefish and have had it at many places over the years, but I have to say this was one of the worst I've had. Seasoned only with paprika as far as I could tell it was mushy and tasteless. The "chef's choice starch" which apparently everyone gets the same no matter what they ordered was an overly salty au gratin potatoes. I would have happily had a nice baked potato but even though this is not an inexpensive restaurant it was not an option.

1  Thank JanBGlenview
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We went to door county the wservices free we got married for a little mini honeymoon. We stayed at a great bed and breakfast and we were told to give Alexander's a try. We made reservations, got there and we were told they were running behind, fine no worries we will grab a drink. We went to the bar and my husband got a new ID the day before and the DMV gave him a temporary license. They would not serve him because they have never seen that before. We explained we just got married and wanted a celebratory glass of wine. They could not have been more rude about it. Just completely refused to serve him but would serve me. We were very upset and when we were finally seated the waiter was just as rude about the whole situation and "checked with the owner" and told us the owner was not sorry and they would not serve us!! We are 25 years old and just wanted a celebratory glass of wine! They were so rude to us we walked out!!! Don't waste your hard earned money there!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Zoeygirl12
AlexofDC, Manager at Alexander's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

I am the bar manager and was the female bartender working the evening when the two of you stopped in. When your husband approached the bar and ordered drinks, I politely asked him for an ID as he appeared to potentially not be of age. He was very nice and pulled out a folded up 8.5 x 11 piece of paper from his wallet that he said he recently received as a "temporary license."

In my heart I believe that he was telling me the truth, but In my many years of bartending I have never seen or heard of this form of identification before. Also upon first glance, it appeared to be something that could have easily been generated from home on a computer/ printer. I consulted the other bartender who also is a very experienced bartender, and he too had never seen this form of identification. Although we were shown a valid photo ID from you and offered to serve you, neither of us felt comfortable serving him.

I apologized to your husband - I said that I was "very sorry and that it was nothing personal." I further explained that very recently several Door County bars and restaurants that we personally know had been targeted by police-operated underage stings, receiving tickets and fines. For us, it simply was not worth it to take that chance. Your husband, although disappointed was very understanding, but I could tell that you were displeased with our decision and very upset.

After the two of you were sat at a table and again attempted to order a drink, our waiter also carded your husband. He too had never seen that form of identification and consulted our boss, the owner. The owner, in his 30+ years of restaurant experience was unfamiliar with the temporary license, and was not willing to risk fines and tickets on selling a drink.

We truly would have liked to serve your husband - it would have been a lot easier, less time consuming, and we would not have lost two customers. We were disappointed to see you leave for that reason. But please understand that in the State of Wisconsin, we as servers and owners are the ones legally held accountable for responsibly serving alcohol in our own establishment. We ultimately reserve the right to not serve anyone. This should not be misconstrued as poor customer service - this is the law.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great Sunday Brunch this past Labor Day Weekend. The service was very good and the brunch offered a great selection from salads to deserts. Well worth it and extremely reasonable.

1  Thank LZMike