“Best restaurant in Door county”
Review of White Gull Inn

White Gull Inn
Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Fish Creek
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Award-winning restaurant open to the public. Winner of Good Morning America's Best Breakfast Award. Sumptuous lunches, candlelight dinners and famous for traditional Door County whitefish boils. Open all year.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I came to Door county for a short getaway at the end of October and it was our first time there; We can't wait to return! We discovered the White Gull Inn after hearing about the amazing fish boil they offer on Friday nights. We made a reservation and were lucky to get one of the last spots - apparently word is out and everyone knows how great they are and reservations fill quickly. We went to the fish boil and it was fantastic! All you can eat fresh whitefish boiled with potatoes, which you get to watch being cooked outside. One of my favorite things was the homemade coleslaw that comes as a side - delis and fresh. I bought the White Gull cookbook so I can make it again. After dinner you are served a piece of homemade Door county cherry pie with ice cream. It was a very fun experience and a wonderful meal. We went back the next morning for breakfast and, as I expected, it was homemade, fresh, and scrumptious. I had the fresh hashbrowns with all the fixings and some pumpkin cake and my husband had an omelette. I wish we had discovered it earlier in our stay because we would have eaten there every day! We cannot wait to return and this will certainly be "our place" when we visit Door County.

1  Thank MeganPhil
Write a ReviewReviews (1,137)

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We love the decor and often split the coffee cake of the day, followed by splitting the cherry stuffed French toast, and end with the fruit of the day, all washed down with black coffee. This morning was no different. Thought Door County was deserted we had a 5 minute wait at noon as the restaurant was full, a testimony to how good it is. Service was efficient and pleasant and the cost very reasonable.

1  Thank z0607
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We recently went to the fish boil with another couple. The first thing that annoyed me was that after checking in at the front desk, we were told if you wanted a glass a wine we had to go back outside and around the building to the bar. After the boil over, we were herded into the line where one person put potatoes on your plate while another person handed out the hunks of fish. Then on to the tartar sauce, cole slaw and lemon slices. Back at the table the server helped remove the bones from the fish. Dessert was cherry pie with vanilla ice cream. I thought the best part of the meal was the bread. Over rated and overpriced. A few years ago we went to the fish boil at the Old Post Office restaurant in Ephraim. In my opinion it's much better quality and more entertaining.

3  Thank connie2020
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We visited the White Gull Inn for breakfast, of course to taste the renowned Door County Cherry Stuffed French Toast. We were not disappointed in the slightest! We actually began the meal with blueberry coffee cake, warm and crumbly and delicious. It's huge though - probably enough for four people to share. I feasted on the French toast, while my husband had a more traditional eggs, meat and browns breakfast. Both dishes really were amazing. Aside from the food, the rest of the experience was positive as well. The service was friendly and welcoming on a cold and rainy summer day. The place is cute and cozy. Overall a great experience - we'll be back during our next trip!

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

I heard this place was popular, so we arrived right when they opened at 7:30. Service was excellent, and the food was even better! I don't like overly sweet entrees for breakfast, so I was a little worried at first...but the pancakes were yummy! They had whole door county cherries cooked inside of them. I would highly recommend making a stop here. I promise you won't be disappointed!

1  Thank sunshinekw