“Boasted Best Breakfast in America Does Not Disappoint”
Review of White Gull Inn

White Gull Inn
Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Fish Creek
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Award-winning restaurant open to the public. Winner of Good Morning America's Best Breakfast Award. Sumptuous lunches, candlelight dinners and famous for traditional Door County whitefish boils. Open all year.
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Their cherry stuffed french toast is a breakfast must in Door County. I've been there quite a few times and had different items off their menu also. Their salads have always been fresh and crisp and they have pretty good sandwiches too.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I had breakfast here on Thursday December 27th 2012 and a fish boil dinner on Friday December 28th 2012. For breakfast, my wife had their famous cherry stuffed french toast and I their cherry pancakes. My wife really likes cherries and creamcheese, but they so overdid the cherries and creamcheese in their french toast that it resulted in being soggy (or perhaps it had been sitting too long in the kitchen). My pancakes were okay, but nothing special. I had also ordered a hot chocolate with whipped cream which they curiously served in a small tea pot; while cute, it was completely impractical to pour from and made a mess. Our waitress was bordering on rude, although she did keep my wife's coffee cup filled, topping it off more frequently than called for.

We already had a reservation for the fish boil the following evening and as we had been looking forward to partaking of this famous Door county tradition, we decided to go ahead with it despite our disappointing breakfast experience. It started out fun enough with the guests standing around the fire pit in the back of the restaurant while snow fluries drifted down, but the dinner itself was disappointing. Guests were asked to line up in the restaurant and as they passed the serving staff were given two squares of fish and two meager boiled new potatoes. Basically we were being rationed. Sides consisted solely of okay cole slaw and dry bread. Towards the end of dinner the waitress asked whether we wanted additional pieces of fish. For dessert they served cherry pie, but while the cherries were tasty, the crust was mediocre.

In summary: we were disappointed in the so highly rated White Gull Inn restaurant which we feel has been overhyped. Everyone visiting Door county should, however, experience a fish boil, but there are probably better places for this than at the White Gull Inn.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is a breakfast place we go to every Door County visit. was a cold winter day this time and the Xmas atmosphere was great plus I love the fireplace. The breakfast as usual was good.

Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

The atmosphere was nice, waitress was excellent, food was delicious(cherry stuffed French toast, corned beef hash and eggs, blueberry coffee cake). We will definitely be back.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

other area restaurants try to mimic this legendary dish, but you've got to go to WHITE GULL INN to get the REAL thing !