“More than a five stars”

The Cookery Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ranked #3 of 33 Restaurants in Fish Creek
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: The Cookery is a family run restaurant and wine bar in Fish Creek since 1977. Serving "fresh food, expertly prepared" (Midwest Living, Best of the Midwest). Our menu features American fare with a creative twist, all menu items are made from start to finish in our kitchen. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served daily. Also offering a nice selection of vegetarian entrees and gluten free items.
Quebec, Canada
“More than a five stars”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We first came here for breakfast and when I saw the french toast on the menu, I looked no further. It was served with an excellent cherry sauce and topped with real wipped cream. A pure delight...My wife ventured to try their poached eggs and she was very satisfied by the serving, eggs perfectly done, the plate came with the classic hashbrown potatoes, which we don't have where we live.
On our second visit for supper, we tried their homemade ginger limonade, the whitefish chowder soup, the sockeye salmon and the perch dinner. All were excellent, service was number one and the thick wooden tables give a warm feeling to the place.
There was also nice quiet live music while we ate.

Peoria, Illinois
“Could have been better”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We have been here before and had a great lunch. This time we went for dinner with the kids. They put the four of us at a very small table when there were large booths filled with only two. I had the walleye which was very good. Wife had the salmon which was good, but veggies were cold. Bake potatoes were very small. Kids had grilled cheese and soup which were good. Nice atmosphere but a bit pricey. Our bill was $74.00 plus tip. I had a tap beer and the kids' drinks were expensive, which added up quickly. The biggest issue for my wife is that they were out of the whitefish, which is a Door County favorite. It was a Monday night and it was only 6:30 pm. She had her taste buds set on the whitefish, but it was not to be!

• Visited July 2014
caskare00, Owner at The Cookery Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
We are happy to hear you have enjoyed lunch at our restaurant in the past and are sorry to hear that your dinner were not up to your expectations. We were, unfortunately, out of whitefish that evening. After a busy weekend, we had sold out of whitefish. We purchase our whitefish from a local supplier and and were not able to get a delivery until the next day. It is rare that we are out of whitefish, we hope that you will dine with us again and have the opportunity to try the whitefish.
Madison, Wisconsin
“An excellent package”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We wandered in for a late lunch, and regretted not finding this place earlier in our stay. The food was very good, the service friendly, attentive, and personable, the setting interesting and pleasant.

The food was nearly good enough to rate "excellent" -- but I reserve that for destination restaurants. Our food did not have that degree of ambition, but the next time I'm in Door County, I will stay in Fish Creek so I can eat here.

Minnesota
“Very good food”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We went here after a Segway tour nearby. Since it was a Monday night it was not very busy so we were seated immediately. It is not terribly quiet because of the wood floor and other hard surfaces. So I can imagine it gets very noisy if the place is full. For us it was totally fine.

Service was prompt and very friendly. Our server helpfully explained some of the dishes and recommended the homemade ginger ale. It was delicious. Wisconsin cheese plate appetizer came and really created a buzz for the family. My teens got to try some cheeses they never would have known about otherwise. And now they ask for them repeatedly.

My scallops were very tasty. Polenta was not bad and the spinach was fresh tasting. My daughters salmon was outstanding. Cooked just right. My wife's chicken was ok, average at best. I'd recommend one of their other selections instead.

We skipped desert as we were just too full. If we are back in the area we would be very happy to return to the Cookery.

1 Thank avman67
Chicago, Illinois
“Good comfort food”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We've had breakfasts and lunches here. They add a nice twist to breakfast potatoes and have very nice homemade biscuits. The coffee cake is yummy.

Visited July 2014