“Serendipity”

The Cookery Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ranked #5 of 36 Restaurants in Fish Creek
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: The Cookery is a family run restaurant and wine bar in Fish Creek since 1977. Serving "fresh food, expertly prepared" (Midwest Living, Best of the Midwest). Our menu features American fare with a creative twist, all menu items are made from start to finish in our kitchen. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served daily. Also offering a nice selection of vegetarian entrees and gluten free items.
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Eating here was an accident. Enroute to Rawley's Bay for the Monday AUCE fish boil on the buffet, the wife needed to stop at the hat shop next to TCRWB for a last souvenir. While parking, I noticed an open table on the lower porch, we made a quick decision and in we went.
Located at the north end of the main business area of "downtown" Fish Creek, this restaurant down, wine bar up building was opened in June, 2009 after a fire totalled the place in May of 2008. Owned by Dick and Carol Skare(with help from the family) since it opened in 1977, it ranks high among T/A reviews of Door County restaurants - one of the reasons I even considered going there - the nature of the few negative reviews appears in virtually every restaurant review in T/A - translated, that means you cann't please everybody, somebody's always going to find fault.
Seated promptly, although there was some confusion at the door when I was included in another group, the waitress responded promptly, got our wine order, and set us up for ordering.
Returning with french roll and our wine, I selected the perch and my wife a salad. Now, stardard price on perch is $19.95, yet the Friday perch fish fry is $17.95. Go figure! Must not sell much perch on Friday. Had I caught the disparity then, I'd have questioned it and sought some redress, but this pricing isn't an unusual situation in these resort areas when they have to make a year's income in 5 months. This is also the reason they were knocked down on value - you can get the same thing as well done elsewhere in the area for the same money, or less.
The perch arrived within a reasonable time and was well done, although deep fried, not overly breaded or over cooked. The dill potato salad alongside was excellant considering that it was eggless, a concession to the mindset of many who frequent Door County. The California white zin I had with dinner was good - I'm not a wine snob, I just know what I like, which generally is Ohio wine with its fuller flavor profile.
My wife found her salad quite pleasing. Being picky about dressings, she put the waitress throught the mill over "dressings on the side", all of which the waitress handled with skill and grace.
Finally, we split a cherry pie a la mode. Even though this year's Door County crop(one of the largest cherry producing area's in the U.S.) was considered a dud due to the weird Spring, if you're going to eat cherry pie, this is the place to do it. This is also the place to drink cherry wine, if you're into that.
Unfortunately, we never were able to get upstairs to the wine bar and what must be a magnificent view of Green Bay from the porch. Seems like every time I passed this place, the porch was full. Although most of the wine on their list I'd pass on, the turnout upstairs says something about what they're doing right.
Although squeezing a buck or two more a meal, their marketing to the "avante garde" mindset apparently serves and pleases a certain customer base coming to Door County, somewhere between the truely high end places and the rank and file. Considering the surroundings, the service, and the food quality overall - I'll consider going back.

3  Thank bassbum

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Restaurant quality is all over the map in Door County, but you can't go wrong with The Cookery.

Service was very friendly (thank you, Elliott!). Atmosphere is airy, open, and welcoming.

The menu is cleverly put together, almost pandering to foodies visiting the area with many foodie catch phrases and cliches, etc. That being said, it's a good thing as the food delivers on these promises.

Things we really enjoyed include: homemade ginger ale, cherry lemonade, vegetarian linguine, quesadillas, whitefish. The artichoke tapenade was a little intense, but still enjoyable.

Definitely come by for dinner during your stay in the area!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

A wonderful two story building in Fish Creek, WI that serves some of the finest walleye and fresh water salmon I have ever tasted. Friendly service, some excellent local wines - try the cherry chardonnay. You can watch the people go by as they walk along the Main Street. Dine inside or out, it was an excellent dining experience!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

They have a wine bar and dining room with was both inside seating and outside seating. We were able to order from the wine bar menu despite being outside.
The owner/receptionist was welcoming and friendly to all comers. He paid particular attention to the young children who seemed to find him entertaining. The waiter was personable and engaging. We discussed my Kindle reader. Service was prompt.
My partner had fried egg plant and quinoa salad with feta cheese. Both were exceptional. I had a hamburger which was hot and juicy.
I experimented with hinterland luna stout*(on a nitrogen tap) beer which I did not like but which my partner thought was marginally OK. She had lakefront fixed gear red ale which she really liked.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was a great little spot with good food. Most things were local products, so fresh and good quality. For a wine bar (we ate in the restaurant) the wine selection wasn't too extensive but adequate. We would definitely go back.