“Relaxing retreat”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Fish Creek
Sussex, Wisconsin
“Relaxing retreat”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Returned for another birthday getaway this past weekend. Just as last time, everything was clean and cozy. We enjoyed snow shoeing at Peninsula State Park and retiring in the evening with our books in front of the fireplace. The kitchen has all the essentials to make breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. The location is quiet and serene. I'm sure we'll be back again next year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KGlafcke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Stoughton, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The Hilltop was a great stay for my family. My husband, daughter and I visited with my in-laws. It was great! We had our own rooms and because they were upstairs my daughter was able to get restful sleep without hearing us in the next room.

All the main attractions of Fish Creek were within walking distance yet we were still in a nice, quiet area just off the main drag.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank WOODKM06
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This place is everything you could possibly need. Two separate queen bedrooms, a HUGE bathroom with jacuzzi bath & shower, half bath downstairs, kitchen, large living room with TV & fireplace, and outdoor patio. There were extra pillows & blankets in the closets, an ironing board & with iron, vacuum, etc. It was immaculately clean, the young man at the front desk was very nice, and we would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Tom & Susie

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank susiemdc
New Richmond, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at the Hilltop a few days ago. Prior to our stay we researched online for places to stay in Door County, as we had never been there before, and became overwhelmed by so many different options. The Hilltop Inn was one place we had interest in, but again, we just didn't know. We didn't even really know what town we wanted to end up in. We decided to just go without making reservations anywhere and take our chances. We passed several places we had looked up prior to leaving and were so glad we had decided NOT to make reservations at them. We arrived in Fish Creek and fell in love and decided that was indeed where we wanted to stay. Not making prior reservations in the middle of the summer did limit our choices, but we found the Hilltop Inn and actually, liked it better in person than we did online and were not disappointed that our choices were limited for other places because we loved this place! We had been in contact with them earlier that day just to make sure they had availability and when we arrived they had been nice enough to set aside a room for us. They invited us to take a tour of the room prior to making our decision so we could decide if it would work for us. It was great. So so so clean, which is really important to me (and being a wedding planner I have to admit I am very picky and really pay attention to details). The "rooms" are not rooms, they are townhouses. They have two full bedrooms, 1 1/2 bath, a wonderful jacuzzi tub, full kitchen, living room, cozy fireplace, a small deck and a small patio area. Again....everything was spotless and in really, really good shape. The space is much nicer in person than in the photos online and was updated and tasteful. I was a bit worried about the possibility of it being outdated and run down, I don't know why, I guess because of the amount of traffic that goes through Door County and I thought perhaps a townhouse would be most attractive to families with young children, and I have had young children, I know they can be a bit rough on things. This was not the case at all. I was also worried about it not being "downtown" Fish Creek. This actually was a great advantage. There were a lot less people, road noise and much more peaceful. It was so convenient to get to to the other small towns and into the park. I would definitely stay here again. I found the staff helpful and courteous and the accommodations wonderful and worth the price. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank marniejj
Madison, South Dakota
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Hilltop has been the go-to family destination in our favorite town in Door County year-after-year. We admittedly tried another condo last year, and we missed the Hilltop so much, we are heading back there this year!

This Inn is "no frills" in the best possible way. The condos are clean and cozy, yet still large enough to comfortably hold 4-6 people. There is a full kitchen, 1-1/2 bathrooms, and also a pull out sofa. The outdoor pool is right off the back patios and is also clean and fun. This is the perfect kind of place for families or groups.

In addition to what the inn provides, one of the other biggest perks in the location. It is quite literally located at the top of a hill at the end of town. Take a very short walk or bike ride down the hill and you are at Peninsula State Park and the edge of Fish Creek's charming downtown.

The Hilltop and Fish Creek have a little something for everyone: Great food, shopping, nature, biking/hiking, swimming, outdoor theatre, the lake, and more that I probably can't even think of right now! Other towns in Door County are just a short drive away, so be sure to go out and explore all that this wonderful area has to offer.

While in Fish Creek, don't miss one of the beautiful sunsets at the edge of the lake (on the opposite side of town), and be sure to try one of their many stunning restaurants. The Hilltop is a winner!!

Room Tip: The ideal room is on the side closest to the entrance because the patio door opens directly to the p...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nathan E
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We rented 6 condos for our Family vacation. Since we were towing up 2 boats I SPECIFICALLY CALLED IN ADVANCE to make sure they could accommodate parking. The person who I spoke with said no problem. Once we arrived they said we could not park there and had to go to the town and try and get parking in the city lot. This was July 4th weekend and there was no room in the city lot (that is why I called first). When I returned to unload the car and boat the person in the office actually ran out of the office and hollered at me for having my boat in the lot. Yes a really nice way to treat a "guest" (renting 6 condo's - do the math on how much $ we spent on rent). The accommodations are average but the customer service needs work here. We will not be retuning as we were not treated like a guest. Oh by the way as for the person who said it was "OK" to park the boat here, they tell me he was new and did not know better. So their problem became my problem. On a positive note the Mexican restaurant next door accommodated our parking needs. In fact he went above and beyond to help solve our parking needs. In turn our group of 30 enjoyed spending our $$ on dinner and drinks in his restaurant. The Hilltop could learn from them on how to treat a customer....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Bill C
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My parents and I stayed at the Hilltop Inn during a brief visit to Door County. My parents had one bedroom, I had the other, and we all found the unit very comfortable. The door enters into the kitchen area, complete with full size refrigerator and stovetop oven, microwave, full sink, and cabinets to store supplied utensils and groceries. On the other side of the kitchen was the living space, which opened out to a small wooden deck with plastic chairs and side tables. The living area had a round dining table in the corner, which was enough room to eat meals without being too crowded. The fireplace was used each morning to take off the chill, and the couch and armchairs was quite comfortable to sit in during the evening.

The bathrooms were rather spacious, especially upstairs, which had a large whirlpool tub/shower. I meant to use the whirlpool during our stay but never got around to it. It looks like two people could fit in there quite comfortably, if you were going for the romance angle.

The condo's location is just east of the "downtown" area of Fish Creek, so if you want to be right in the action it's not a good location. However, it's just a few minutes' walk if you're in shape, otherwise a quick drive. It's close to Peninsula State Park, too, and makes a good home base for exploring northern Door County, as well as Egg Harbor.

Would I stay there again? You betcha.

Room Tip: If you have a unit close to the highway, you'll hear a lot of road noise, but you'll get ext...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Country House Resort
Country House Resort
#1 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to The Hilltop Inn? Share your experiences!