“Nice Motel”

Ephraim Shores Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Ephraim
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I previously rated Second Story restaurant (located above the motel) not realizing the restaurant and motel were considered the same business in Trip Advisor, so by the TA rules, I had to wait to post this review of the motel:
I stayed at Ephraim Shores Motel at the end of last season. In some ways it is a very typical motel with the usual room lay-out. The decor appeared newer, though in an out-dated 1980s style. The rooms are on the pricier side for a motel, but that is due to the unbeatable location and views of Eagle Harbor in very charming Ephraim. A very short walk from the front door across the road, the motel has prime waterfront footage with sand and chairs reserved for motel guests. (It was too chilly and windy in late Oct to do more than a quick explore, but it would be an amazing sunset view). The rooms were incredibly clean (and I'm picky). Despite the lackluster decor, the rooms offered nice amenities like a small wet bar area with microwave, small fridge, coffee maker, small table with chairs. I loved the little complimentary packet of dried cherries, great Door Co touch. The room had one recliner which was fine on this trip because I was alone, but if I'd not been alone, a second comfy chair would have been appreciated. Staff was friendly and helpful. Ephraim has plenty of eating options in easy walking distance. As others have noted, Ephraim is a dry town (no alcohol sold). I'm not sure why this perturbed some reviewers. It is only a few minutes to locations where alcohol is available, and the fridge/wet bar area works out nicely for carry-ins brought from home or picked up at wineries on the peninsula or from any number of locales that do sell alcohol. If you plan ahead, you can still enjoy your tipple in Ephraim. The Second Story Restaurant upstairs is handy. It has a large menu with big portions of basic but reliable offerings. The daily specials are a good bet. I usually stay in resort-style accommodations in Door Co when I travel with a companion, and will likely continue to do so. However, on this trip alone (for some early Christmas shopping) I very much enjoyed Ephraim Shores, and hope to repeat the experience this year.

Room Tip: Splurge for water view if you can. It is worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Christmaseve11

Reviewed October 27, 2011

Came here for dinner in July about 6:30 PM. Restaurant seats patrons until 8 PM. Our party of 5 was seated by 7 & the whitefish dinners were gone by that time. 3 of us ordered the perch sandwich, 1 ordered a caesar salad & 1 just dessert. The dessert (raspberry schaum torte came immediately! We waited over an hour for the sandwiches & salad. The waitress blamed the kitchen for our long wait while other tables were getting their food!! Finally the sandwiches arrived but no salad! The salad came about 15 min. later. Our waitress said it "wasn't her fault & that if she complained in the kitchen things would just be worse". The hstess also said "the cooks are doing their best". We will NEVER return here - lots of other good restaurants in Door County.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank H Joan B
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Second Story Restaurant is the kind of place I could imagine my late grandparents frequenting a long time ago (I'm 48). The menu is quite large but the offerings are very basic, not terribly imaginative. Many entrees come with "salad bar". The salad bar is very small and includes things like 3-bean salad, cottage cheese, canned fruit, and fluffy gelatin salad, along with the iceberg lettuce and a few salad toppings. Hearty food is served hot in generous portions. Decor/ambience are lacking, though a nice view of the harbor is available. Service is friendly. Prices seem a bit high for what is essentially diner fare. I can see this as a place that seniors might appreciate, or for guests of the motel who want a meal close to their accommodations. I also think someone traveling alone would feel comfortable at this restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We spent 2 nights at Ephraim Shores Motel in late August. We were very pleased with the motel and staff. And the location is great. We had a side balcony and the view of the Bay was perfect. The restaurant was also good. We would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SdPetey
Reviewed August 5, 2011

All the rooms are clean and comfortable and well appointed for a relaxing and enjoyable stay. The motel has an excellent restaurant with delicious menu items for breakfast lunch or dinner. Be sure to try the Moravian sugar cake for breakfast. The motel provides fantastic views of Eagle harbor, Peninsula State Park and fabulous sun sets in the early and mid summer months. The pool and whirl pool are great and they also have a gym for guest use. Truly one of the best run motels on the peninsula. Our family has been staying here for years and will continue to come for years to come! Guaranteed a winner!

Room Tip: Get the water view rooms for the little extra cost.
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HickoryDave
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights in the beginning of July with our 6 year old daughter. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The pool and hot tub were very nice and very clean, which we used daily after our days out. The room was large and very clean. The outside play area was great, our daughter used it a lot when we were at the room. The entire place was very well kept and spotless. The beach on the other hand appeared to be closed or not maintained, there was some sand, but also a lot of weeds. The free WIFI worked perfectly and was fast. The sunsets across the road where beautiful as we watched it every night. If you’re looking for a fancy chain motel this probably isn’t your type of place, but if you are looking for a clean, friendly, reasonable priced hotel with a great location you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Randy-Shelly
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ephraim Shores Motel & Restaurant in July 2011. We were previously staying in Sister Bay but wanted to stay another night in Door County. Because our hotel was booked, I found Ephraim Shores online (plus it looked really nice driving by a few times). I was very pleased with our stay. The front desk was very friendly and even let us check in two hours early. Later in the evening, our key cards weren't working, and the front desk replaced them without any trouble. We stayed in a standard room with a king size bed and balcony. Though we didn't have a lake view being in the back of the hotel, it was still nice having the balcony. The room was spacious enough for the two of us for one night. The bed was comfortable, and I was able to access the Internet right from our room. The room is a little country/old looking in terms of decor, but keep in mind this is an older hotel. I'm not sure what some of the rooms/suites look like. We ate dinner at the Second Story Restaurant in the motel, and I was pleased with our meal. I felt a little out of place (we were the youngest in the room), but the food was good and reasonably priced compared to many other restaurants in Door County. The best thing about this motel is the views. It is directly across from the lake, and the motel has a reserved section with lounge chairs by the water. My boyfriend and I sat here and watched the sunset and boat activity - it was beautiful! Wilson's is right around the corner too, and they have delicious ice cream within walking distance. My only complaint about this motel is that the hot tub temperature was WAY too HOT. I couldn't even go in and neither could a couple other guests while we were in the pool area. Also, the restaurant closes at 8pm, which I think is rather early. Lastly, I was not aware Ephraim is a dry town. No alcohol sold anywhere. You can bring/drink your own, but it is kind of an inconvenience. Nevertheless, I had a great stay at the motel and wouldn't mind trying an upgraded room next time if we decided to stay in Ephraim.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jes297
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephraim
Edgewater Resort
#1 of 7 in Egg Harbor
The Landing Resort
The Landing Resort
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Ephraim Shores Resort? Share your experiences!