“Great Place”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Ephraim
Ladson, SC
“Great Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

Somerset Inn & Suites was more than I expected. Everything was spotless. Didn't get to meet Donna but Phil was just as nice as could be. Will certainly recommend this place to all I come in contact with.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cecmd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cheboygan, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

The Somerset Inn and Suites in Door County, Ephraim WI is our favorite place to stay whenever my husband and I can get away. The owners Phil and Donna Koch are just great people and quickly became our good friends. And the hotel and it's rooms are spotless and the grounds are well-kept. This trip I had to return my husband to Sturgeon Bay for work and my four year old granddaughter traveled with us. Since we were so close to the Somerset, we decided to drive up and stay for a few days. It has been some time since I traveled with a child so young and I was a little concerned, but my concerns were quickly put to rest. Phil and Donna quickly became Uncle Phil and Aunt Donna. Layla was out in the front yard playing on the swings and Uncle Phil was pushing her. He came back from running errands and took Layla for a ride in his Triump - she loved Uncle Phils cute little car. Aunt Donna took her for several walks around the grounds and told her about the various plants and flowers that grace the grounds at the Somerset - they are absolutley gorgeous. We went swimming in the wonderful indoor pool and I relaxed in the spa. Layla found terriffic children's story books to read in the bookcases that are kept well stocked in the Great Room in the big building. We played checkers at the game table in the same Great Room which is like a lovely parlour with a fieldstone fireplace. I was pleased to find that not only do they have a real nice selection of DVDs but a nice selection of childrens movies too. Needless to say our stay at the Somerset was WONDERFUl. I had recommended to various friends the Somerset as the perfect romantic get-away, with it's luxury suites, its fireplace and jacuzzi suites, the five well kept acres for strolls in the moonlight and its location to great shopping and restaurants in the Door Pennisula. But now I can reccommend it to families with children, because the Somerset is definetly children friendly as are the hosts Phil and Donna Koch.
Layla was here over the weekend and was asking when we could go see Aunt Donna and Uncle Phil, I smiled and said soon.
If you haven't had the pleasure of staying at the Somerset, I certainly reccommend you plan to and soon. It's perfect and "your only a stranger once at the Somerset."

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank harleyeclue
La Crosse, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

My husband originally found this place when he brought me to Door County to propose. We stayed in the honeymoon suite with a double whirlpool tub, fireplace, and the most comfortable king size bed we've ever spent the night in! We came back the next year for our honeymoon and stayed in the same room. All the little touches are what made this place extra special, from the aromatherapy bath and luxurious towels, to the bottle of wine and gift basket for our romantic weekend.

This year we traveled to Door COunty once again, this time with our three children, and stayed in a suite with a pull out couch and separate bedroom for us. It is always immaculate and our hosts remember us every time! The kids loved the pool and we love everything about Somerset Inn and Suites. We will continue to stay here each time we make it to Door County.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Booger123
Dunlap, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

I agree with the other reviewers - Phil and Donna are excellent hosts. The room we had was very clean (and NO cigarette smoke), spacious enough, and had a separate sink area from the bathroom (which my wife really likes). The beds were perfect - not too hard, not too soft. It was quiet, and felt like home. Nice little balcony to sit outside, but the best thing about that was the sliding door - let in plenty of light and fresh air. The location is great - not in the busy traffic of "downtown" (yes, the burgs of Door County do get busy) but not far from restaurants, etc. There were a few restaurants within walking distance, but we drove to the ones Phil and Donna (and Trip Advisor) recommended. The best part of all this was that the price was reasonable. Unlike other places that charged 50% more for what appeared to be the same (or lesser) accommodations. Indoor and outdoor pools were certainly adequate. Free WiFi, too. BBQ grill and swings for the kids. If/when we go back to Door County, we'll be staying here!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank westwardh0
Los Altos, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

We stay at the Somerset Suites for a week every summer, in conjunction with another one-week stay at EAA in Oshkosh.

Phil and Donna always welcome us back like a part of the family. The owners are very informal and friendly and can provide many good recommendations for dining, recreation, entertainment, and country drives.

We've found the rooms and amenities to always be sparkling clean. There is free wireless internet access, although it might not be a strong enough signal to the furthest south room units - check with Phil. The pools are nice; the indoor pool and hot tub is always perfect...but if you plan on using the outdoor pool, be aware that even though it gets some sun, there's a bit of shade there too so it may be sometimes too cool for your liking.

Our recommendations for dining are the Cookery in Fish Creek; Inn at Cedar Crossing in Sturgeon Bay (take some cherry pie to go); Door County Ice Cream Company; Al Johnson's in Sister Bay is kitschy but you have to do it at least once...go for breakfast but be prepared to wait during summer high season mornings; Fred and Fuzzy's which is closeby (down the hill towards Sister Bay, and then behind the Bay Ridge golf course on the left) for good burgers, drinks, and sunset views; the Mission Grille in Sister Bay for some higher-end dining; and the White Gull Inn in Fish Creek for breakfast.

Miniature golf at all the different courses is a hoot. My daughter and I play the same four courses every year. I always beat her, too. :-)

I am a long-distance runner and I always enjoy the Door County back roads for my early-morning runs. In fact, I have now twice won the annual Sister Bay Half-Marathon, but rumor has it I was the only entrant!

Take the ferry over to Washington Island for a day to enjoy an even slower pace of life.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank cverbil
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stay at the Somerset every year for our special girls only getaway. It is cheaper than the other places we have stayed, it has a heated outdoor pool, large jacuzzi and right across the street is mini golf. I should warn you that Ephraim is a dry town so we always stock our cooler with beverages! We spend one day lounging poolside, one day exploring the wineries and one day shopping and kayaking. This will be our 4th time here and we have never been dissapointed........

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tami B
chicagoland area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2007

The Somerset Inn was the perfect location for our 3 day stay in Door County. The Inn was a short drive to everything Door County has to offer. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and the rooms were immaculate. i would highly recommend for a quiet get-a-way. The owners of the Somerset were very friendly and made you feel welcome. If you're looking for a small, quaint place to relax after a day of shopping, or visiting the areas state parks this is it.

• Liked — friendliness and cleanliness of the Inn
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank care2no
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephraim
Edgewater Resort
#3 of 17 in Sister Bay
Newport Resort
Newport Resort
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Somerset Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!