“Great Vacation Spot”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ephraim
Northbrook, Illinois
“Great Vacation Spot”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My sisters and I had a "girls get away" and we stayed at the Edgewater Resort in Ephhraim, Wisc. (Door county). The staff couldn't have been more welcoming, efficient, helpful and friendly! They did all in their power to help make a trip a huge success. Their suggestions were wonderful! My room was #111 and it was WONDERFUL. My sister and I loved everything about it. Clean, comfortable, beautiful. It was a corner room with with a front patio that faced the water - worth the little bit of extra money. Just down a small path from the resort is a darling restaurant (the Post Office) with wonderful food. We only had breakfasts there and they were outstanding! I wouldn't stay at any other place when in Door County and I would even try its other locations around the country. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! My other sisters stsayed in room #115, a handicapped room and they, too, loved it!

Room Tip: Room #111 was fabulous. as was room #115 if you require a handicapped accessible room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We enjoyed having you as guests and are very happy that you enjoyed your time at Edgewater! We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Wood Dale, Illinois
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This will be the third year in a row that we are coming and staying at your resort everyone is so friendly and helpful it is so nice and peaceful and relaxing and of course all the great shopping within minutes of Edgewater . Have to stop at SILLY GOOSE, TANNEBAUM, just a couple of the must do stops for shopping and cant forget WEBERS in Fish creek......Edgewater is our home away from home see you in a couple weeks :) Oh I almost forgot the beautiful sunsets are just breath taking !!!

Room Tip: you want a room of the lake across from the resort and the pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank menotti341
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We traveled early in the season(first weekend of June), so things were very quiet. it was great to not fight crowds. We had a third floor suite with a private balcony. There is a beautiful view. I never heard noise from another room. I did hear people in the pool, but for the most part we had quiet and privacy which is what we were looking for. The pool was heated. I was very happy to see that the pool and the hot tub are both fitted with lifts to make them accessible to those with physical challenges. Great job Edgewater! The rooms are attractively furnished, in good repair, and very clean.
I would recommend a cart with towels in the pool area, and larger pillows on the bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michele60182
Elmwood Park, Illinois, United States
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My family has been saving $ all year for a wonderful family vacation in June in Door County to enjoy the wonderful beaches and outdoors. We booked it in June for 5 days and unfortunately, the weather was in the low 50's and rainy! My 3 year old was bouncing off the walls because we had done enough as we could do indoors. We wanted to leave 2 days early because it just wasn't worth the money to pay $200/night to stay inside. We talked to the General Manager, Debbie Wauters, and explained the situation and she absolutely would not budge because it was per policy. We would have even been happy with a partial refund. She absolutely would NOT make any exception. I can understand if it was to full capacity, but there was TONS of vacancy. They just wanted to secure their money. BEWARE: Once you book your stay, YOU ARE STUCK. I will never be coming back to this resort for the POOR costomer service by management.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank StephanieAnn83
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
I understand your disappointment that the weather wasn’t completely cooperative during your vacation. I am sorry that you did not want to accept my offer of a Gift Certificate for the balance of your stay if you departed early. Door County has a lot of great activities to enjoy on rainy days. My staff and I spent a great deal of time mapping out highlights for you and your family to enjoy. While the weather wasn’t perfect it was nice to see that your children did enjoy the outdoor pool and whirlpool during your stay. I appreciate that you took the time out of your busy schedule to write a review. Thank you.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We woke up yesterday in St. Paul and on a whim drove to Door County. After the long drive, Edgewater Resort looked like the idyllic place to land for the night. The "Fish Boil Tonight" sign in front of the Post Office Restaurant below was the clincher - How fun and one of the highlights of our mini escape - Earl the boil-master is a hoot and such a delicious meal! I would describe our room as "beach front posh" Laid back yet elegant. Comfy bed - We both slept well and how nice to wake up to a soak in the jacuzzi tub this morning with bath salts. Enjoyed sitting in the rockers on the deck outside of our room, too.

Room Tip: We had a partial water view for less cost, which was still delightful with a nice view of the marina...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PiperAndJon
Appleton
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Scheduled to stay Friday - Monday this Memorial Weekend, 3 total nights. Woke-up on Saturday morning to no water! Could not shower or use toilets, had to go to visitor center across the street to use the toilet. Hotel resolved issue after 3 hours but it delayed our plans for the day.

Woke-up on Sunday morning to no water once again! Reported issue to front desk and they said they knew about it. While we were experiencing no water I watched the maintenance crew filling the pool with a garden hose, watched crews watering plants and sidewalks. After 3 hours went to office to meet with Debbie the general manager. She agreed to not charge us for the 3rd night if we wanted to leave! That was all for compensation. We checked out and moved to another hotel across the street. I understand things happen but the reaction of the staff was horrible, evasive and not forthcoming to say the least. I still cannot believe they did not reduce the charge for the first two days without showers and toilets. Will never stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Russell S
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Russell:
We are so sorry that your stay with us was disrupted and we recognize that it was a big disappointment for you. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you and your family suffered while vacationing with us. We strive to exceed guest expectation and I am sorry that we fell very short of that goal – please accept my apology.
Saturday morning we experienced a water pressure issue for approximately 1.5 hours; a professional service addressed the issue immediately. The system worked fine all day/evening on Saturday and we believed the mechanical failure was corrected. Unfortunately, the mechanical failure happened again on Sunday morning which shut down our water for 3 hours. I am very sorry that you felt that I was evasive and not forthcoming. Please know that when I met with you on Sunday morning I did not have the answers as I was still working with the two vendors trying to diagnose and troubleshoot the issue. I apologize that we were not able to connect again after the repair work was completed – I wanted very much to explain the situation to you personally and try to do what we could to make the remainder of your stay an awesome experience.
With regard to the maintenance crew filling the pool and watering plants, all the water on our property comes from our well. However, the water that is piped from the well to the units goes through the water softener as well as an intense filtration system. We are one of a few Resorts in Door County that utilizes the filtration system as a proactive measure to provide the highest quality of water to our guests. The water that is piped to the outside spigot does not go through the water softener and filtration system; hence, it was not affected by the mechanical failure.
I would love the opportunity to speak with you and I can be reached at 920-854-2734.
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Good points:
1. Location, location, location: Ephraim is centrally located on the Door peninsula, so an ideal spot to explore north or south. The lake view is incredible, including sunset (except when it's cloudy). There are 3 nice restaurants within 1 block distance.
2. Big, clean rooms. We got the corner king room with whirlpool, as well.
3. Well-outfitted kitchen in the room.
Points you should also know:
1. They charge 50% of the total as a deposit at the time of registration--be sure you can keep your dates!
2. There is some road noise, because Hwy 42 is the only thing between the hotel and the lake. Fortunately (in mid-May), there wasn't much noise at night.
3. WiFi speed was decent (3-5 Mbps down, 1 up), but irregular in the evening--possible guest use of microwave ovens?
4. There's no elevator or bell service, so be prepared to carry your bag upstairs (delightful bird painting on the stairwell walls to cheer you along, though)
5. Pillows on the ginormous bed seemed small (as in 4 across).

Short version: we loved it, and will happily stay there again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Runpicu
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your comments with the staff as we are always striving to provide the best possible service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephraim
The Ashbrooke
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor
The Landing Resort
The Landing Resort
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Edgewater Resort? Share your experiences!