“Yummy Soup, served by the Anti Soup Nazi” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Soups, American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Chicago
“Yummy Soup, served by the Anti Soup Nazi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was so happy to see this place still open when we got to Door County this year. All of the soups we've tried are fantastic (a rustic potato soup, broccoli and cheddar and a brat-cheese-kraut concoction) and are served with a delicious soft bread roll. The place is tiny but really comfy looking (we always take the soup to go so we can kick off our shoes after a day of shopping) and the soup guy is so nice too. If I lived in Ephraim I think I'd be there almost every day for the hearty, tasty soup.

Visited September 2012

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice option for lunch!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

What a great idea for a small business…they offer a few kinds of soups each day (and cover all bases….vegan, vegetarian and soups with meat) and a couple of sandwich choices. I tried several soups on this year's trip to Door County and last year's too (when I think they first opened) and they have all been good (they come with a small roll too). The sandwiches look fine (also a choice of meat or vegetarian) but they are made in advance and refrigerated and I like my sandwiches at room temp so I haven't tried those.

I like the fact that they keep their menu small/ high quality instead of trying to offer too many things. A good option for tourists as well as locals.

Visited August 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Delight in soup all year round”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I discover things in Door County by walking. We found the Czarnuszka Soup Bar by noticing its name on the sign outside the shopping village where it's nestled. There are just days when you want soup, and Czarnuszka delivers hot and cold soups with high flavor and reasonable prices.

Czarnuska should appear to both locals and tourists in Door County, as it is reasonably priced ("the cheapest meal in Door County," boasted the owner) and open year-round. Unlike many other restaurants that shutter when the tourists go home, Czarnuszka is focused on good soup for all months of the year and for all folks in the Door.

The menu changes daily (the owner posts the daily menu on the restaurant's Facebook page), but is usually graced with about four hot soups and two cold soups. In addition, sandwiches are made fresh daily (usually two varieties) and available from the cooler when you walk in. A tasty roll is included with each cup or bowl of soup, and complements nicely the soup dishes.

We were delighted not only to see classic Polish favorites available here, but soups of many other stripes as well. None of the soups we tasted required the addition of salt and pepper, though you're always free to add it. We found the meats tender, the vegetables still slightly crisp but well simmered, and the broth hearty and flavorful. The rolls are soft and soak up the soup very nicely (while adding their own flavor), and the sandwiches are simple but flavorful with crisp lettuce and other vegetables and simple meats.

The desk outside the Soup Bar is perfect for a pleasant summer day, but there is ample seating inside to complement the tables on the deck. The owner is well-traveled and very friendly, speaking both Polish (having spent a couple of years in Krakow) and his native English tongue. We made Czarnuszka a regular addition to our visit to the Door, and we only wish we had such a great place back home.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
“Eat Soup!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

This was a great place! I love that they have vegetarian and gluten free options.
Not too expensive, just right.
We will return!

Visited May 2012
Ephraim, Wisconsin
“Excellent and Excellent Bargain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

I live in Door County and I frequent Czarnuszka's - the soups are really good, you get a roll with it, and if you want to get a soda or sandwiches, he has those, too. Eat Soup!!

• Visited June 2012